stuck between 2 bikes

murpheus
Rookie
Rookie

stuck between 2 bikes

#1 Unread post by murpheus »

Hi, i am stuck between the choice of 2 bikes. I am looking at a Ducati Superbike 999, and a Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa. I will be buying one of them brand new in the spring, and am wondering if anyone can help me decide which one to get.

I have heard a couple bad things about the Ducatis', but have heard nothing bad about Suzukis'. I have heard that Ducatis' are more maintanance and break down more than Suzukis' and i know that parts for a Ducati are much more expensive.

If anyone has either owned a Ducati, or a Suzuki bike, please tell me how your experience with is was, and which you would recommend. My email is [email protected] if anyone would like to email info to me.

Thanks

sickpsycho
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

#2 Unread post by sickpsycho »

You need to ask yourself a few questions... First, and most important, why are your two choices so radically different? Second, how do you plan on riding your machine?

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#3 Unread post by TechTMW »

I agree. They are completely different bikes. You should have no problem deciding based on the riding you want to do.
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

Tango21
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by Tango21 »

Maintain the bikes as they should be and the problems will be slim to nill.

comparing the 2 is tough, It's like a comparing a Ferarri to a subaru WRX
both have outstanding performance and the zuke is a faster ride, but the style, handleing and status of owning a Duck is tough to pass up (if cost is not a big deal)

My money would be on the Ducati. they are much more performance oriented and not as comfy as the Suzuki but i think you would enjoy the ride none-the-less

good luck..

bikeguy joe
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#5 Unread post by bikeguy joe »

Murpheus- why these two? What's your riding experience?
What made you whittle it down to these two?

rodzbike
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by rodzbike »

I like the busa, but I think they feel really heavy. As far as the Duck goes, I've never seen a 999 in person.
~~~2000 GXSR 750~~~
~~~2005 VTX 1300C~~~
Dr. Rod of Satan's Barbers MC

rhost
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by rhost »

If given only a choice between a twin and huge inline 4, id go with the twin anyday, 90% of riding is at speeds below 80mph so the touqe of a twin is more usable then top speed of a I4, and personaly believe makes for better riding. That being said, I wouldnt own a ducati, to expensive for what they are, and too tempermental. Id rather have a sv1000s or a Buell XB (which I ride). I dont think the busa would make a bad touring bike though.

jmillheiser
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#8 Unread post by jmillheiser »

The busa is actually pretty torquey. its peak power only hits at 9500RPM which is low for a sportbike.

The busa will be cheaper and more comfortable (I have sat on both, and the duck is downright uncomfortable, the busa is pretty comfy for a sportbike)

To be honest this is an apples to oranges comparison. The 2 bikes are about as different as you can get.

I will say that I LOVE the styling on the ducati. The Italians sure can make some good looking bikes

bikeguy joe
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#9 Unread post by bikeguy joe »

The Hayabusa is ugly? Oh man, them's is fightin' words! :wink:

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#10 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

The busa is to long for me the duck is ok but alot of money why not a speed triple or aprilla tuono I like the nakeds over the clip ons and the farings do me little good but they do make alot of machines in between the busa and the 999