2005 Suzuki S50 Boulevard

Scott58
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male

2005 Suzuki S50 Boulevard

#1 Unread post by Scott58 »

I have a bit over 300 miles on this bike, not enough to do a an indepth article, but certainly enough to give a few rider impressions. The thing that grabbed me the most about the S50 was it's clean lines along with the drag bars and risers ( i bought the metalic gray). It was very pretty to look at. When i threw a leg over it the first time the narrowness of its feel and the over all like weight (443lbs) was also something I really wanted. Another bonus for me was the pipes on each side (everybody has singlesided pipes these days and i always dare to be different). It was on clearance to make room for the 06 models and they had it maked down almost a grand so that was also a good thing. I had them add a sissy bar (not in stock and still waiting for it) and out the door the cost came to $7129 US. The mechanic was very good in going over the bike (except for the recommendation of 87 octane gas which they filled it with) and I was on my way.

This bike is seriously fast. The power comes on in a linear fashion that makes it feel like its just grabbing up pavement and will put instant stress on your hands as you try to hangon if to much throttle is applied. It laughs at my 140lbs and even with my G/F on the back (combined weight of about 260lbs) the bike just doesn't care. The first 85 miles miles however were tough ones. Low speed cruising was difficult and unimpressive as the bike didn't seem to run right unless you were "on the gas". I was beginning to think I'd made a terrible mistake and was wondering how much problems I was going to have taking it back and getting something else. Thankfully all these worries went away the first time I stopped for gas and decided to fill it up with 92 octane. It took 1.9 gal to fill so i imagine the mix with the 87 put it somewhere between 90 and 91 octane. I left the station and pulled out on to the highway and within a few minutes once the lines and carbs cleared of the low grade gas i was on a completely different motorcycle. Low end throttle response cleared up dramatically, even the mirrors stopped vibrating to the point you actually use them. I couldn't believe the difference. Within 10 miles i knew i had made the right choice with this bike.
It was so smooth my expression went from pensive concern to wild eye'd grin and I was really able find out what it was capable of. Highway 2 from laporte In. to 421 is an older road, but in good shape and has some pretty sweet curves. The suspension is a bit stiffer then I'm used to (ended up setting the rear shock to the next softest setting), i went into the first turn and rolled on the gas. The tires (bridgestone) stick nicely and although not as precise in finding it's line as i would like is very stable and confidence inspiring. Power again is not an issue and coming out of any turn can be as thrilling as you want it to be with the fastest straight line acceleration in its class (according to motorcyclist magazine). There is just a hint of lag with the shaft drive if you give it alot of gas at once, but i've never had a shaft drive and understand this is pretty normal. i don't have a windshield yet, but crosswinds don't effect it to much at highway speed nor do trucks passing you so that is also pretty nice.

A few minutes later I was back in town and deep in traffic. Braking response is good, but low speed braking rewards you with a squeal from the front brake that is a bit annoying. i found myself braking later to avoid this. Stop light to stop light low speed cruising is now very enjoyable and you can really take advantage of the tall gears. You don't have to shift 3 times getting through an intersection like my friends 700 Magna or even my Rebel for that matter. Low speed turns in town and manuverability are also alot nicer with the low weight of the S50. i sit a bit higher on this bike, but getting use to the higher center of gravity wasn't a problem. Overall very comfortable. It is more coldblooded on start up the my Rebel and choke is required if it has sat for more then an hour or so but not a big deal. i'm now pretty happy with this bike. The only other real annoying thing i have to get use to is putting $4.50 worth of gas in it instead of $2 that I put into the Rebel for the same distance. I average 56mpg on the S50. If these are the only issues I have it was a good purchase and the only real advice i can give is don't put 87 octane gas in a performance motorcycle no matter what the dealer says.

http://www.freewebs.com/scott58/
05 Honda Rebel
04 Spitfire Cub-24
05Suzuki S50

cb360
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#2 Unread post by cb360 »

Thanks Scott - good review. And a pretty bike. I'd consider one for sure. I like the pipes on both sides as well.
1974 Honda CB360
1985 Honda Magna VF700c

Scott58
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#3 Unread post by Scott58 »

The more i ride it the better i like it. I'd almost recommend this as a beginner/first bike with the exception of the power. It has a bit much for a beginner. But weight and seat hieght are really nice for a beginner. I'd certainly say its a great one to upgrade to for men and women alike.
05 Honda Rebel
04 Spitfire Cub-24
05Suzuki S50

PhilD9er
Veteran
Veteran

#4 Unread post by PhilD9er »

The book recommends cheap gas on my 919, but it pings in the canyons on that gas. I use super unleaded. No problems there.

You'll do fine with the power of the S50. That's a well balanced bike. Do you have a windshield on it? It's good to see your enthusiasm for the bike.
"People who consider themselves brutally honest are usually putting the emphasis on brutality"

Paraphrase of some English guy.

Scott58
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#5 Unread post by Scott58 »

No windshield yet. Just got the sissy bar mounted today. i'm going to order a Street shield from National Cycle. I really liked the quality of the flyscreen on my Rebel, so i'm sticking with the brand. Willie & Max raptor series saddle bags and I'll be good to go.
05 Honda Rebel
04 Spitfire Cub-24
05Suzuki S50

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#6 Unread post by ZooTech »

That's a great bike! Congrats on your purchase.

My front brakes are noisy at times, too...not from squeaking, just the sound of them resting against the rotors at low speeds. Like me, you may want to consider new pads from EBC.