SV650 or GS500

sasuke42
Rookie
Rookie

SV650 or GS500

#1 Unread post by sasuke42 »

I'm looking to buy a bike soon, and I wanted to find out how much of what the salesman at my local dealer said was at all true. This will be my first bike, and I am taking a MSF course which and it actually covers more than the average ones because it also is NYS DMV certified to give us our liscence when we complete the course so its a bit more intensive. Now, the salesman has said that the SV650, being liquid cooled is a bit more reliable bike, and that it is also more comfortable and sporty of a ride. I wanted to get some opinions on the differences between the two and see if anyone can offer me advice as to which one to buy.

Biker Billy
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Re: SV650 or GS500

#2 Unread post by Biker Billy »

sasuke42 wrote: Now, the salesman has said that the SV650, being liquid cooled is a bit more reliable bike, and that it is also more comfortable and sporty of a ride.

Well I Just sold my sv650 and I owned a gs500 Years ago. I believe the Gs was in the mid 90's the SV was a 2002, As far as reliability is concerned I am a believer in liquid cooled, However I am not a mechanic! As far as looks pick the one you like better! Performance: hands down the SV650! The 650 V-Twin has some nice power and sounds great with a slip on! I did a carbon fiber "Two Brothers" and always got compliments, I also added the factory lower fairing which really looks good! Gel seat for more comfort and that was about it! sold it lat month with 12000 problem free miles.
Gs500f sweet looking but small!
go with the SV in my opinion! You will get bored with the 500 fast! Me on the other hand I go through phases! some times I wanna go fast other times just want to cruise! So I am changing my mind AGAIN! BUY BOTH! :lol:
Have You considered used? may be a good idea for a first bike, That way if you don't like it just sell it again!

sasuke42
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by sasuke42 »

Both bikes I was looking at were trade-ins. Thanks, for the non-commital advice lol. I think I'm gonna go with the SV650, but no fairing for me heh. I just wanted to see if the guy was being at all honest lol since he is a salesman and all.

Biker Billy
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by Biker Billy »

Sweet! I can assure you, You will enjoy it! Good Luck, Ride Safe!

Grunt
Regular
Regular

#5 Unread post by Grunt »

I'm looking as well and have read a lot of good opinions about the sv650. It's a lot of bike for very little money comparatively. My dealer has dropped price to 5499.00. However I live in an area with boocoo backroads and really would like the BMW 650gs. For about 3K more I'll have a do everything bike but unfortunately has a lot less get up and go but I think it would be more comfortable on longer trips and the seat is more comfortable...again, less power...decisions, decisions. Good luck in your search. :frusty:
"There are those who softly tiptoe through life thinking they might arrive at death's door safely"
~Anonymous

Suzuki SV650

Aggroton
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#6 Unread post by Aggroton »

ive never owned a liquid cooled bike...i couldn't imagine what its like...imho less parts the better...with that said...the sv650 is a lot of bike...just be careful with it...i have a 1982 air cooled 550 and passed my msf in may...its still alot of fun for me and i still scare the crap out of myself some times...i rode once with a guy on one of them are they are really fast and really maneuverable...so im not knocking it or you at all...but bikes are going to come and go...you can always buy an sv650 anytime...just be safe and let us know what you get!
thats a sweet bike.

moshee
Veteran
Veteran

#7 Unread post by moshee »

Aggroton wrote:ive never owned a liquid cooled bike...i couldn't imagine what its like...imho less parts the better...
I couldn't agree with you more. Air cooled bikes are fine as long as there is sufficient airflow in the design.

I had a nightmare that I owned a liquid cooled bike. There was a radiator, and hoses, and pump and everthing leaked. The bike overheated and was too heavy to push. Ohhhhh, the horror of it all! :laughing:
Last edited by moshee on Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kutch
Rookie
Rookie

what about...

#8 Unread post by kutch »

What about the Honda CB500 or 600?
I heard those are bullet proof bikes...
The 600 & 900 where nicknamed Hornets. The 500 could be got wit & w/out faring.

I'd like to know anyones opionions as well!

kutch

macktruckturner
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#9 Unread post by macktruckturner »

I went w/ the SV650S - and love it. I rode it 1100 miles over R&R, and loved every one. Mine was brand new, '05 - and it gets 50mpg which rules. Also faster than I need to be, and handles road trips pretty darn well (rode it to Austin and back one day).

Mad Puppy
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by Mad Puppy »

I have a 1999 SV650 and love it. I've only had it two weeks. but those two weks are bliss. It's light, easy on the wallet, reliable, Lots of aftermarket stuff (if you lean that way)and looks good too.