please clarify the bike weight issue

chris66
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

please clarify the bike weight issue

#1 Unread post by chris66 »

I plan on buying my first bike next spring (cruiser) and I read a lot of opinions on this board of how a new rider should stay with a small cc bike due to it being lighter and easier to maneuver at slow speeds. I weigh 325 an am 6'2" not a little guy by any means the bikes I am loking at are the vulcan 800 classic weight i beleive is 560 dry, the 650 or 1100 vstar classics which are 549lbs and 640lbs and the 1100 vstar custom which comes in at 571 lbs all these bikes are with in a hundred pounds of each other so what is the benefit of giong with a 650 vs an 1100 if the weight differance is only50 = 60 lbs ofoverall weight

niterider
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

bike weight

#2 Unread post by niterider »

I weigh 116 lbs 5'3'' & I ride a 750 vulcan, I don,t belive that I could comfortable ride a bike much heavier than the wieght I am working with now. I belive my main problem would be at stops & moving the bike in & out of parking places. However; I have been riding for 1 yr. after being away from riding about 19 yrs. I have ridden for many yrs. If you ride sensibly & give your self time to get used to the bike I think you should be alright.

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#3 Unread post by ZooTech »

I replied to your post about the salesman and the Mean Streak 1600. Go check that out for the answer.

In short, a bike's balance and the size of the rider is more important than just the actual weight. You'd find it easier to learn on my Meanie than on my buddy's Sportster 883 because his is so dang top-heavy and it has such a short wheelbase.

ronboskz650sr
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#4 Unread post by ronboskz650sr »

ZooTech wrote: You'd find it easier to learn on my Meanie than on my buddy's Sportster 883 because his is so dang top-heavy and it has such a short wheelbase.
This point is huge. My 650, for example carries the weight quite high, and has a much higher "point of no return" due to the added leverage. Zoo's meanie carries it low. I sat on one at the Stealer, and couldn't believe how easily it came up off the stand. Easier than mine, for sure. Mine only weighs about 490lbs. Old-style inline four engines also are more top-heavy than newer ones that are angled forward. Cruisers for big guys...I don't see a weight issue except at the lowest speeds, and that's why you practice...Right? :D
Ride safe...God bless!
-Ron
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/ronboskz650sr/avatartotal.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/ronboskz650sr/wholebikeavatar2.jpg[/img]

chris66
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by chris66 »

zootech thanx for the info
so if I get what your saying is as long as the wheelbase is long enough, the bike has a low center of gravity, the cc's arent too over the top and I keep the overall weight in relation to my size say no more than 650 lbs.I should be all set
so going with say a vstar 1100 custom or classic would be a good choice then and last me many years

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#6 Unread post by ZooTech »

The V-Star 1100 is a great bike. My brother-in-law has one and just loves it. Compared to a Sportster, the balance is much better (much easier to hold up at a light). A bike's balance will probably be the biggest factor for a newbie rider, and the V-Star is pretty easy to handle, especially for someone of your stature. In the end, you'll be happy you got a bigger bike so you're not bothered with the hassle of trading up or trying to sell your practice bike.

Scott58
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#7 Unread post by Scott58 »

Weight is only part of it for the novice rider. Since your a pretty big guy a heavier bike isn't out of the question as opposed to a 125lb (under 5'8") person with the same experience level. I think the issue here would lean more towards power. Be careful with an engine that has a tendancy to be "on or off". Your weight will give you a bit of an advantage as the bike will have to work a bit harder (compared to my 140lbs) to get you up to speed. I usually don't recommend something as large as a 750 for beginning riders and in the end it's a personal choice, but in your case I think you have alot more options. Just take it easy and have a good time.
05 Honda Rebel
04 Spitfire Cub-24
05Suzuki S50

brbolin
Elite
Elite

#8 Unread post by brbolin »

I'll throw in my two cents here, even though I've not ridden before (but getting closer...MSF in a week, and a bike soon afterwards (Suzuki M50, for anyone who cares :wink: )...so take it with a grain of salt, or a shot of tequila, whichever...
I started looking at the V-Star 650's. Loved them. Saw the Suzuki M50, loved it more, but was concerned about the weight. I'm 5'11", 190 lbs.
I actually SAT on both bikes. Yes, the V-Stars have a GREAT, low weight feeling. The M50's weight is a little higher, but still not too bad. Sat on a Honda Sabre 1100. This thing's weight felt a bit higher.
Sat on a V-Star 1100, yes it was heavier, but still it was mainly "low", so it didn't feel bad at all.
As I've heard, and been told by my dad (who used to ride, but hasn't forever, but is excited for me to start) he said you can kill yourself on a 250...just be careful and know your (and the bike's) limitations.
Heck, I even went to the Victory dealer nearby and was talked into sitting on a Vegas. Man, if I had $15000 to blow, and a year or two of riding, I'd jump on that puppy. It, too, had GREAT weight distribution, but the thought of having a $15000 bike as my first left a bad taste in my mouth.
Anyway, what I guess I'm getting at is, you can die on a 250 as you can on a 1600 (cruisers...sport bikes are another story). Knowing your limitations, taking your time to learn the machine, and not being on a bike that makes you scared to death (you need to have a little bit of "fear" while riding to keep you aware, I've been told and agree with) are what's important.
I'll probably get the "smack-down" for saying this, but I don't see a problem with the 1100...as long as you are aware of it's capabilities and take your time.
*gets off soapbox that should be on, because hasn't riden yet* :P

canuckerjay
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#9 Unread post by canuckerjay »

Here we go again. . .

Just wait;

The screaming will begin, I'm sure. . .

Where's Sevulturas??
Wherever you may roam
May you own your road.