The New Buell Review

keysman
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male

The New Buell Review

#1 Unread post by keysman »

This is the first in a two part installment on the new Buell Ulyssess XB12X.

After reading a bunch of compelling information on on the new bike from Buell, I called some local dealers and tracked one down in Folsom California. On July 31st I headed out to the Buell dealer to check out the new Ulysses XB12X that everyone has been buzzing about on the motorcycle boards online. I have to admit that I was already drooling about this bike before I even left the house after spending a couple days reading about all it's goodness online. I figured the proof would be in the face-to-face so I headed out.

They say it's important to make a good first impression, so I checked my look in the mirror before I entered the dealership. :D A quick glance around the showroom and I found my way to a group of Buells hiding out behind the requisite collection of Harley Davidson models up by the front door. It was as if the Buells knew their stable mates, the good ole' boys if you will, would need a head start out the door if they were going to keep up with fresh young blooded group in the back.

Leading the Buell pack was the new 2006 Ulysses XB12X. I found a couple of other riders at the shop checking out the new pony. I had some good conversation with the other riders about the new bike. One of the guys was lucky enough to have ridden the Ulysses and he seemed pretty excited about the bike.

After chatting for a while the guys took off and I had a chance to look over the bike. My first reaction to the new bike was about what I had hoped. Overall I was impressed with the bike. The fit and finish seemed pretty well sorted out. I have to admit I didn't want to expect too much from this bike. I guess I didn't want to get my hopes up and then be disappointed. After reading all the hype in the forums online, I figured it would be easy to be under-impressed with this bike. I was however, pleasantly surprised.

As I mentioned earlier the fit and finish on this bike is quite nice. I really like the look and the feel of this beast. I tossed my leg over and like so many others have already stated in magazines, on websites and in user forums, this bike is big (by Buell standards) and quite tall. I am 5'-11" and I can only get one foot down on the ground with the height of this bike. I didn't feel uncomfortable but if I was even an inch shorter I don't think I would consider this bike without the lower seat. This is quite a change from the other XB series bikes and all Buells that have come before for that matter.

Speaking of the seat, it's quite large and it's covered with a neoprene (wet suit) like material instead of the typical vinyl you find on a factory seat. I don't know how this material will hold up but I'm sure time will tell. The seat seems firm but comfortable. It's hard to judge though by just sitting on it in the showroom. A 300 mile day trip would be a much better test of the seat comfort. From what I have read online and in magazines the seat has been getting good reviews in this area. Bleeding edge owners seem to be quite happy with the seat comfort. I would personally like to see more of a contour to the seat to give your butt a more positive position to be placed but this design allows for a lot of fore and aft movement which could be good. Being able to move around in the seat will allow you to reposition in flight to put your legs in a different position possibly relieving some fatigue.

I liked the Barricade Orange color of this bike. I'm sure that some people will prefer the black over the loud, LOOK AT ME, Orange but for me this color is the only way to go. It's possibly a little safer as well. It never hurts to be seen well on your motorcycle. Like other Buells there is no paint on these body panels they are actually plastic that is molded in color. While this may not look as nice as a custom paint job it has it's advantages. It's more scratch resistant and if you do get a scratch the color is the same all the way through. In fact the only colored pieces on the Ulysses are the air box cover (where the gas tank would normally be located) and the base of the fly screen.

The dash layout and the handlebar controls seem reasonable. I have never been a fan of the funky fonts Buell has used on the dash of their bikes. The Ulysses is toned down a bit which is a good thing. I want to be able to look at the dash for about a half second and instantly get the information I need. I think funky fonts only make the process more difficult, meaning more time your eyes are off the road. The controls for the turn signals, high beam, horn, etc. are in the basic standard layout. They could be improved in the ergonomics department but they are functional none the less. One area that is an issue for is the placement of the clutch cable which obstructs the view of the odometer. However, I have learned that an enterprising individual is already working on a Clutch Cable Clamp that holds the cable closer to the crossbar on the handlebars to prevent this problem. This may very well be the first aftermarket part for the Ulysses.

The Ulysses also features a number of nice details that round out the package well. There are two 12 volt power outlets, one is located on the dash and the other under the seat toward the back of the bike. There was also one helmet lock but the addition of a second one would be a nice idea. There should be no problem riding two up on this bike. Bungie cord hook points under the passenger seat are yet another nice addition to the package. A full set of factory hard bags are also available, manufactured by Hepco & Becker for Buell. I didn't get to see the bags in person but the bags look large and well intergrated with the bike from the photos I have seen online.

From a design standpoint I like the way the Ulysses package comes together. The Black and Magnesium colors on the engine and primary cover work well together. I also like the treatment that is found on the exhaust headers; here again in a magnesium color. This magnesium tone is also carried through to the wheels and a few other bits on the bike so the look is consistent throughout the bike.

The Ulysses frame looks better to me in black rather than the silver found on other XBs in the lineup. The honeycomb pattern on the air intake is also a nice touch that works well with the overall style of the bike.

Even the rather small exhaust tip on the under the frame muffler has a nice drilled plate that echos the ascetics of the bike.

Overall I think this bike could be a winner for Buell. I hope it does well and lives up to the expectations everyone seems to have for this bike. As for me, I'm thinking about one for myself.

Next up, my test ride report. Stay tuned.

If you would like more details about the Buell check out the specifications in the 2006 New Models section here on TMW.
New Hotness: 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
Old & Busted: 2003 BMW F650CS

keysman

#2 Unread post by keysman »

Part II - The Test Ride

After reading the reviews and sorting through all the hype online about the new Buell Ulysses XB12X and having seen one in person I decided it was time to hunt down a test ride. I did some posting over on SacBORG, the Sacramento Area Buell Owners and Riders Group website to ask some owners where the good dealerships are in my area. After getting some recommendations I started calling around to see if any of the dealers had the Ulysses in stock and more importantly if they had one they would let me ride. I called Harley Davidson / Buell of Vallejo and spoke with Dustin, he quickly told me that they had a Ulysses demo bike and then asked me if I wanted to come in and take it for a test ride. I responded, that I would like that very much! :D I setup a time with Dustin for the upcoming Saturday and I was all set.

My friend and I headed out Saturday morning to the dealership. When we arrived, I was told that another rider was out test riding the bike and they were expecting him back soon. Apparently he had come in at 9:30 for a half-hour ride and it was now 11:00 AM. :D The rider and the Ulysses returned in a few minutes. My friend and I filled out some paperwork, Dustin went over the bike with us, filled it up with gas, handed me the keys and we were on our way.

The first thing you notice when you fire up the engine on this bike is the idle. The idle is rather rough compared to my 650 single thumper from BMW. The rough idle should not be a problem but if you're currently riding an inline 4 sportbike it will take some time to get used to this engine. As soon as you get the revs up past the idle range the engine smoothes out nicely.

We were not familiar with the area so we headed out of the parking lot with no particular destination or route in mind. I decided to head back to the freeway so I could get the bike up to speed and because I knew where that was. At the first stop sign I was a little clumsy coming to a stop because this bike is so much taller than mine. I am 5'-11" and I don't think I would be able to ride the Ulysses comfortably if I was any shorter without installing the low seat. Ulysses owners report the unladen seat height to be about 35 inches, a bit taller than my 32 inch inseam. Of course adding your body weight and the weight of anything you happen to be packing will compress the suspension somwhat. After a couple stops at lights I had already developed a technique to support the bike. Just slide your butt off the seat a little to the left and plant your left foot while keeping your right foot on the rear brake pedal. No problem, I'm already looking like a pro.

As we headed up a small hill back towards the freeway I was already anxious to see what this thing could do. I rolled on the throttle a little bit and the engine came to life producing a deep howling exhaust note. Far different than anything I have ever experienced before on a motorcycle. The 1200cc Harley Davidson engine sounds nothing like a Sportster. There is no potato - potato thump here. It's just a solid deep roar. The closest thing I can equate it to is the sound of a Dodge Viper hauling down the road. If you have never drove or ridden in a Viper you still won't know what I mean. Just imagine a high performance diesel semi truck motor on steroids. I must say the sound was quite pleasing.

As we made our way back to the freeway and turned down the street leading to the on ramp I noticed the traffic was backed up and slow moving. At this point the freeway was no place to put the Ulysses through it's paces. We made a quick detour and headed through some hilly residential areas. The suspension sucked up the bumps in the road making for a rather comfortable ride while at the same time remaining firmer and more confident than the rather relaxed suspension on my F650. I didn't mess with any of the suspension settings on the bike but I suspect it could have been dialed in quite a bit to suit my weight and riding position.

After making our way through some homes in the hills we stumbled upon and actually blew past a road that looked intriguing for a test ride, Lake Herman Road. We turned around and headed down the road. This road turned out to be just about perfect for a test ride on the new Ulysses. There were a couple tight corners a nice chicane and some decent high speed sweepers and most important, very little traffic. Oh yeah I think there was a view of a lake or something too? :D

After a few short minutes on the Ulysses the fan kicked in and it was quite noticeable to me since I ride a water-cooled bike without a fan. The fan is by no means annoying but there is quite a chorus of voices while riding the Buell. You have the engine and with it's deep bass exhaust note, the alto whine of the fan and the tenor whir of air entering the air box through the high mounted intake.

Wind blast on the Ulysses is going to be far more pronounced if your riding a full touring bike. The rather small fly screen on the front of the bike doesn't do a whole lot to block the wind as the speeds climb above the 75 MPH mark. The screen on the Ulysses is designed for quick detachment and I'm sure we'll see taller screens become available in the coming months. Comparing the wind protection to that of my BMW I believe it to be only slightly different with the advantage going to my BMW. I also noticed the air flow over my hands even with the standard hand guards. When I rode a BMW R1200GS a few weeks back there wasn't much airflow to my hands at all. Because it was a hot day I actually found myself removing my hands from the grips to put them in the air flow to cool down while riding BMWs big GS. The experience on the Ulysses was somewhat different.

After completing Lake Herman Road I pulled over into a parking lot and allowed my friend Dan to take the Ulysses for a spin. As I hopped back on my motorcycle I instantly felt like I was riding a children's bicycle, not because of the lack of power but because of the riding position. The Ulysses is tall and while no more upright than my BMW there is quite a bit more distance between the seat and the pegs on the Ulysses. I felt all scrunched up on my bike after getting off the Buell. Comparing the bikes to cars, my BMW F650CS would be a sporty compact and the Buell Ulysses XB12X is a full size SUV... with a Hemi!

As Dan rode the Ulysses, I followed. The big LED brake light on the Buell is a nice touch and is quite bright. I like the added safety of a nice big and bright brake light. After getting comfortable Dan took the Buell up to speed and I had a great time chasing him on my CS. After Dan had some fun we switched back again and I got some more seat time on the Ulysses.

One of the things we both noticed about the Ulysses was the powerful torque and with it's broad range you could easily lighten the front wheel and while neither of us tried we both got the front wheel off the ground. It was only by a matter of inches but nonetheless the front end lifted without any effort on our part. That broad torque range has it's advantages in that gear changes are a little less important. You won't have to worry too much about lugging this engine. It will pull even from way down in the rev range. That means running some twisties would require less clutch work and fewer transmission shifts.

Buell has reduced the clutch pull effort by 22% and updated the transmissions with dog rings on all 2006 XB models. On my test ride I found the pull on the clutch easy and transmission shifts to be smooth and reliable.

On the ride back to the dealer one of the things that I noticed about the Ulysses that I found a little unpleasant was the low RPM shaking from the engine. It's not so bad when your sitting at a light but as your decreasing speed leading up to a stop the rumble gave me the sensation that the engine was about to die even though I had the clutch pulled in all the way. It would take some time for me to get used to this sensation. While sitting at stop lights I found myself entertained with the front turn signals mounted to the Ulysses. The arms for the turn signals are made from a plastic that is quite flexible, which is probably by design. The combination of the engines idling characteristics and the soft plastic makes the signals bobble up and down whenever you come to a stop.

The dash layout on the Buell proved to be functional on my test ride but I did again notice the clutch cable getting in the way of the odometer most of the time. There are no frills on the dash either, just the speedometer, tach and a few lights. I looked down a couple of times to check what time it was and both times found no clock. Imagine that no clock magically appeared between the first and second times I looked. Humm?

As we pulled back into the dealership and I got off the bike I began to inspect the hard bags which were fitted on the Ulysses. I didn't mention them before now because I hardly noticed them throughout the ride. To me that's the sign of a good set of luggage. I didn't notice them in the mirrors and they didn't seem to effect the handling in any way. Buell also points out that their bags have no designated maximum speed warnings like those found on some other manufacturers bikes. The hard luggage for the Ulysses is Buell branded but manufactured by Hepco & Becker. The luggage is large and integrates well with the design of the Ulysses. The bags are lightweight and secure when mounted to the frames. The bags are all keyed the same but not the same as the ignition key, a feature found on factory BMW bags. If you don't mind carrying an extra key it won't be a big issue. One thing I wish they had done differently was the locking mechanism. The key is required for both unlocking and locking the cases. It would be easier if the cases could be locked without the key or even could be left unlocked. I guess this prevents you from accidentally leaving the cases unlocked.

One thing you may have noticed is I didn't test the Ulysses in the dirt. I'm not that confident with my dirt riding skills and the last thing I wanted to do was drop the demo bike and become it's new owner before I was ready. If I were to purchase the Ulysses I don't think I would spend all that much time in the dirt anyway.

Overall the Ulysses is a great new bike and could be the best bike Buell has made to date. I have never considered a Buell before I found out about the Ulysses. All the attention this bike has garnered is a testament to the hard work the design team at Buell has put into this bike. My friend Dan commented to me that the Ulysses is a handful. I think there is some truth to that statement. This bike isn't a Gold Wing. If you like to just kick back and enjoy the ride in comfort and quiet the Ulysses isn't for you. The Ulysses involves you with the riding experience, it immerses you in the elements and makes sure you are an active participant in the journey. You feel the wind, you hear the engine, the fan, the intake, the exhaust. This bike demands your attention but give it your attention and you will be rewarded with an exciting ride.

P.S. Sorry I don't have any pictures for this part of the review. I took my camera but forgot to put the memory card in it before I left the house. :(

CentralOzzy
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 42
My Motorcycle: Yamaha XJR-1300/Harley-Davidson Roadking

#3 Unread post by CentralOzzy »

Welcome to the Magical world of Harley-Davidson/Buell!

Thanks for the great report. I sent it to a friend of mind who is also thinking of buying one.

Glad you liked the bike, now go & get yourself one, ride & be Happy! :D

miahallen
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

Thanks for the great review!

#4 Unread post by miahallen »

I too am intriuged by the Ulysses, and I'm considering it amongst others.

keysman

#5 Unread post by keysman »

mia,

Wecome to the forums.

Captain Nartman
Regular
Regular

#6 Unread post by Captain Nartman »

Thanks keysman again for ya Review.

CentralOzzy Sent the link to this Thread my way whenya first posted it, n I dug it out for a Re-read.

I'm fairly committed (13.8k saved) to grabbing one of these as my next Mount.

Though at 19.5K (AUD) onroad, without ANY Frills (cases etc), it aint a Cheap Investment.

I'm heading to the East Coast (I'm in A/Springs like Al) in January for a Holiday and I've set up a Test-Ride with one of the Few Buell Dealers in Australia.... Central Coast V-Twin, based in Coffs Harbour, where I was gonna stay for 3-4 days anyway.... so the stay should be more fun than expected.
I was gonna test one in Sydney... but the Thought of Sydney Traffic and Totally Unfamiliar roads was somewhat Daunting....
My Buddy Lives in C ffs and She can be my Guide on her ZZR Kwaka along some Truly nice Twisters and Highway sections that I checked out when over there Lookin for some property earlier this year.

I Canna Wait~!

I'll Keep ya Posted... or Alan will.

I'll also remember the Memory card :lol:

Narty x :wink: