kz 650...UJM's...oldies, but goodies!

ronboskz650sr
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male

kz 650...UJM's...oldies, but goodies!

#1 Unread post by ronboskz650sr »

This is a review of my 1979 kz650sr. I'd say most of this would apply to UJMs (universal Japanese Motorcycles) from 500cc-750cc, made in the late seventies or early eighties.

I just took a 240 mile afternoon jaunt this Saturday. The bike performed flawlessly at 43-45 mpg. typical speeds were 65-75 mph on a rural Missouri two lane highway. A couple of passing opportunities resulted in inadvertant speeds in excess of 95 mph for short bursts. The roll-on power of this bike is great. Cruising at 5200 rpm at 70 mph, you simply crack it and hang on! As for ride and handling, expansion joints on some four lanes can be a little rough, but my air shocks and forks can be adjusted for a really nice all-around ride with great handling at speeds way over the limit on curves. Cornering clearance is great, no scraping at any speeds I've seen so far, and my son has commented on my lean angles being very impressive from behind.

My bike is the Kawasaki attempt to target the flattrack fan, and chopper wannabe. The rear wheel is a 16 incher, with a 19 in the front. Still, the handling is great. I have a four-into-1 exhaust, the front end lowered one inch, and I custom carved the seat to fit me perfectly, with room to slide forward or back to increase comfort. I have a Maier faring coming this week, so i'll post on that after i test it.

This bike is my re-entry bike after 30 years off. I had some trouble keeping the rear wheel planted in the oily, gravelly intersections here, while I was re-learning, but so far I haven't dropped it...after 4500 miles. I think a 550 might be a better beginner bike because of the 650's 498 pound weight, but some would disagree.

If you're short on cash, and need to ride, I highly recommend the kz 650 to put the smile back on your face.
Ride safe...God bless!
-Ron
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/ronboskz650sr/avatartotal.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/ronboskz650sr/wholebikeavatar2.jpg[/img]

Runswalking
Regular
Regular

78 KZ 650

#2 Unread post by Runswalking »

You're exactly right, they are great machines. I bought a 78 KZ650 SR 2 yrs ago for my wife. The lower seat height fits her perfect. I myself love the power and pep it has. We get about the same gas mileage 43-45. I did put new handlebars on it from a CB 400 F. They're narrower and don't have as much rise as the OEM bars. I also upgraded the highlight blub for night riding. And this yr have added bar end mirrors for a better rearview and found a new old stock luggage rack for it. It has 14,800 +-miles and the last compressure check shows some problems with the oil rings. It also has a Kerker 4 -1 pipe that I repacked. Overall just a great little ride! And you couldn't beat the $300.00 price.
Stan aka "Runswalking"
The Force can have a strong influence on the weak minded.

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#3 Unread post by sapaul »

Good post, I love to see posts like this.
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#4 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

I have a 79 KZ650. It is a great second bike. Mine has a seat height of about 31 inches, so I can just barely flat foot it. It is a heavy feeling bike due to the heavy engines of that time, and the weight is pretty high up. However once moving, it is very easy to control.

I just did a gas tank treatment to remove the rust, and a KREEM tank coating. Now I just need to put in a new petcock (mine was a bit leaky, so Im going to a gravity petcock that shouldn't leak at all). All that is left after that is to paint the tank + body parts, and it is as good as new! It still runs like a champ, gets between 40-50mpg. I think it fluctuated a bit due to my leaky petcock...

Overall, great bike! nice and cheap, fun and easy to ride.

Andrew13
Veteran
Veteran

#5 Unread post by Andrew13 »

There is a '79 KZ650 for sale near here. I was looking at her today, seems to have been maintained well. The carbs look new, the fork seals are definetely new. Is there anything I should watch out for, or pay special attention to on these bikes?

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#6 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

If it runs... it probably is fine. These things are tanks...
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale
1979 KZ650B - Work in progress
2005 Ducati SS 1000DS - sold :'(
1994 VFR750 Interceptor - sold
1984 VF700F Interceptor - sold
2004 Hyosung GV250 - sold