New Rider Needs Input 94 Ninja @ $1799 - Deal?

Honkey
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

New Rider Needs Input 94 Ninja @ $1799 - Deal?

#1 Unread post by Honkey »

Hey All,

New to the forums, and really appreciate all the comments about the bikes. This is helping my decisions.

So, anyways..... I am 25 6'3 210 and have been searching for a descent 1st bike. My intentions were to get soemthing between $12-1500 around 600cc. It's not that easy.

I got a call from a dealership who just happen to get in an older bike (YAY) that I seen you guys were talking about. A '94 Ninja EX500D has come in, and they are asking $1,799. From what little information he had about the bike (since it JUST came in) he noted that the tires are in "good" shape, there is 11K Mi., and the paint is "pretty good". My question to you is:

a.) Is this a descent bike for me? Height/Weight

b.) Is this a deal, or am I getting screwed?

I got the VIN and did a check with insurance and found out I'd be paying $1,417/Yr Full Coverage with 500 ded (American Family Ins.). About 118/mo. I will probably get lower coverage as I get more familiar with the bike.

Missouri requires helmet laws, so I still have to get one of those. The dealership doesn't offer ANY warranty of any kind, but did mention I can get a "DOT APPROVED" helmet for $150.

If you have any comments about my situation, I would love an e-mail. Any help is appreciated. I haven't had the best time looking up bike reviews for THIS bike. Thanks all! E-Mail me, PLEASE [email protected]

I do have a picture of the bike... haven't gone to dealership yet.
--
The No Limit Honkey
Host of the MTVu Gamers' Ball!

cb360
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#2 Unread post by cb360 »

Kelley Blue Book on that bike is $2230 so I don't think the dealer is trying to take you to the cleaners. Still, that's the price for the bike in excellent shape and you'll have to pay sales tax etc. My personal opinion is that I could get a better deal than that. If you're just getting into this you might want to go for it as the dealer should at least go through the bike and clean it up and make sure it's in good mechanical shape - something you might not be up to yet. I personally prefer buying used from an individual as I think I can save a lot of bucks that way and have several times. Still though - this isn't a terrible deal. Get something from them though - maybe press for a free tuneup or valve adjustment or get him to throw the helmet in if you're gonna pay his asking price. Just my two cents.
1974 Honda CB360
1985 Honda Magna VF700c

Honkey
Rookie
Rookie

CB Thanks

#3 Unread post by Honkey »

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking. The dealership is pretty well known in the area for riders. So, what little things might you ask for... some tuneups and adjustments? More specific.... and I'll work them into my wording. Then again, a helpmet would be the best! Thanks for everything!
--
The No Limit Honkey
Host of the MTVu Gamers' Ball!