Full-size bike for urban commuting?

DaveTV
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Full-size bike for urban commuting?

#1 Unread post by DaveTV »

Hi gang, fairly new here - not sure if this is the right sub-forum, but here goes: I have an 83 GoldWing GL1100 standard(naked), and commute into Boston from suburbia - bikes are allowed in the HOV(High-occupancy Vehicle)/car pool lane so I get to blow off 10 miles of stall-and-crawl - now this Wing is a stalwart, perfect for this type of travel - big + heavy enough for the highway, but nimble enough to deal with the nutcases on their cell phones - I am starting to look towards my next bike for this as she is getting a bit aged - prob is, I am used to the "upright" sort of bike and find it nimbler in traffic situations that todays big cruisers. I have test-rode a Victory and a VTX 1800, although both fine machines, I can't get use to the "GYN" controls-forward thing and find it makes me uncomfortable in traffic.(Maybe it is just a matter of getting used to it?) I like the looks and quality of the Road Star, everyone love's em, BUT forward controls again. I like more of a V-max kind of riding position, but that bike has a rep. for poor cornering, only holds 4 gallons of fuel, not that practical. I thought of used Valkyrie 1500, but they have a rep for horrendous gas mileage, they have no fuel gauge or temp gauge either. SO: What I am looking for, a full size bike for a 200lb guy used for urban highways where drivers give you no quarter - right now I am down to Valkyrie or Road Star(forward controls and all) - all suggestions, advice and abuse appreciated! 8)

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#2 Unread post by Gummiente »

Have you considered the Kawasaki Nomad? It has floorboards rather than forward controls and comes with locking hard saddlebags.

From personal experience I can also recommend the Harley Electra-Glide Standard, but I'm sure there's a few reasons why you don't want one of those. :)
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#3 Unread post by TechTMW »

You sound like the perfect candidate for a Sport Touring bike.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... ST1300.htm

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... R1300A.htm

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... ng-ST3.htm

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... ncours.htm

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... ouring.htm

If you like the way a cruiser looks, you should really consider the Moto Guzzi, as the controls are the standard style middle pegs, and they handle very well.
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

Gummiente

#4 Unread post by Gummiente »

TechBMW wrote:If you like the way a cruiser looks, you should really consider the Moto Guzzi, as the controls are the standard style middle pegs, and they handle very well.
Unfortunately the weenies at Transport Canada came up with some ana rules that prevented Moto-Guzzi from being imported here, otherwise it would have been a serious contender for me when I got back into the cruiser scene.
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

DaveTV
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by DaveTV »

Hmm.. just GOOGLED the Nomad and Concours - the controls on the Nomad look somewhat "forward" ala the Vulcan - the Concours looks like it might not be a bad choice, wonder if those hard bags come off, I am sure they do - Sport-tourer, huh? Maybe, maybe... Anyone out there do urban commuting on big cruisers, feel free to chime in~ :wink:

Gummiente

#6 Unread post by Gummiente »

DaveTV wrote:Hmm.. just GOOGLED the Nomad and Concours - the controls on the Nomad look somewhat "forward" ala the Vulcan
Ok, well, if they seem "forward" to you than I'd suggest a big cruiser is not what you're after as they all havel pretty much the same riding position. I can, however, tell you that I have ridden 16 hour days in the saddle of my Harley and have not suffered any discomfort. I also commute 104km daily in all weather conditions.

Anyway, Tech BMW has posted some good bikes in the sport touring range that might be worth a look.
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

DaveTV
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by DaveTV »

Like I said, maybe it is just a matter of getting used to it.. I really like the Yamaha Road Star, I could always try it and if it doesn't work out, get something else..

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

#8 Unread post by Gadjet »

Gummiente wrote:
TechBMW wrote:If you like the way a cruiser looks, you should really consider the Moto Guzzi, as the controls are the standard style middle pegs, and they handle very well.
Unfortunately the weenies at Transport Canada came up with some ana rules that prevented Moto-Guzzi from being imported here, otherwise it would have been a serious contender for me when I got back into the cruiser scene.
I know of at least three Moto Guzzi Dealers in Alberta and BC. The BC dealer I was in (British Italian Motorcycles of Vancouver) had a California Stone when I was there (albeit 4 years ago), and I'm sure the other two dealers that I know of in AB could get them.
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc

Gummiente

#9 Unread post by Gummiente »

WhyteGryphon wrote:I know of at least three Moto Guzzi Dealers in Alberta and BC.
And there's one in Ontario and two in Quebec as well, but if you go to their websites you'll only see leftover 2004 models. I can't remember the exact details, but Moto-Guzzi failed some stupid test for the '05 model year and the factory could not/would not correct it so nothing has been imported since.
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

jmillheiser
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#10 Unread post by jmillheiser »

The honda ST1300 is the goldwings smaller cousin, has the upright position your used to, and lots of ammenities.

You could also look at one of the bigger standards. The Yamaha FZ1 has a pretty upright riding position, the engine is a "slightly" detuned R1 motor so the powerband may still be too close to a sportbike for your linking.

The Yammie FJR1300 is supposed to be a great sport tourer with an upright position and easily removed hard bags. And is pretty nimble to boot but not hard edged like a sportbike. The FJR just won CWs sport tourer comparison this last month.