CBR 1000rr

Scott58
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male

CBR 1000rr

#1 Unread post by Scott58 »

Anyone riding one of these? I threw a leg across one at the dealer today and it felt pretty good. This wouldn't be my primary motorcycle and I would probably put less then 2000 miles a year on it. i'm thinking it would only be used on the really nice days and not see any rain or inclament weather at all (keep it like you would a nice old corvette). Is this a good choice to do somethig like that or would a different "super" bike be the way to go? I'm 5'7 140lbs with a 32 inch inseam. Also turning 47 in a few weeks.
05 Honda Rebel
04 Spitfire Cub-24
05Suzuki S50

oldnslo
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model1983 Yamaha Seca 900

#2 Unread post by oldnslo »

I dunno--you a long-time, high-mile rider, with previous sportbike experience? The 1000 is very fast, and may have quicker reflexes than you......
John
"83 XJ900RK

IT'S ABOUT OIL, MONEY, AND POWER, ALL OF THE TIME.

Scott58
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#3 Unread post by Scott58 »

It's been awhile, but i don't consider myself untried. i spent over 5 years on a race ready RD-400. (had more in the engine then what I paid for the bike). But these days I'd baby it more then anything.
05 Honda Rebel
04 Spitfire Cub-24
05Suzuki S50

oldnslo
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model1983 Yamaha Seca 900

#4 Unread post by oldnslo »

An RR will take you places only a fantasy on the RD. Good luck. Be careful.
John
"83 XJ900RK

IT'S ABOUT OIL, MONEY, AND POWER, ALL OF THE TIME.

ronboskz650sr
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#5 Unread post by ronboskz650sr »

I think I'd plan on riding it constantly, to build the skills you'll need. You'll have to wash it more, but you'll learn it faster (I'm 47, too, btw). I'd ride it on gravel, on dirt roads, in the grass...everywhere! But that's just me..
Ride safe...God bless!
-Ron
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/ronboskz650sr/avatartotal.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/ronboskz650sr/wholebikeavatar2.jpg[/img]

emperorjordan
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by emperorjordan »

ronboskz650sr wrote:I think I'd plan on riding it constantly, to build the skills you'll need. You'll have to wash it more, but you'll learn it faster (I'm 47, too, btw). I'd ride it on gravel, on dirt roads, in the grass...everywhere! But that's just me..
hehe, thats funny, a CBR1000 in the dirt, or on a trail. :lol: I can picture it now, racing up some lonely mountain trails on my DRZ, and see somebody on a CBR comming down the other way :laughing:
-2005 Suzuki DRZ-400S (The Fast Color).
- FMF Power Core 4
- 3x3" Air Box Mod, DynoJet Kit
- Dunlop D606 Tires
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather--who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car

Stnkynts
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by Stnkynts »

1000 rr is a lot of bike. I have a 01 929 rr and it screams. You sound like you have enough experience to get on it and go but do you have enough experience to make it go where you want when you want. Example being what are you gonna do when you throttle on and it does a back flip on ya, which any good litre bike should do. If you drive it safe and cautious youll be fine. But why buy it if you are gonna do that. Those bikes are designed to go fast and face it...your human...eventually your gonna rip into the throttle and when you do hang on. Hondas in my opinion are the best bikes. Good luck in your descision.

Scott58
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#8 Unread post by Scott58 »

I got the chance to ride an '04' on sunday. it is about what I expected. Seriously fast but also very stable and forgiving. There is a nice stretch of road on highway 12 past dunes state park and i got it up to about 110mph before bringing it back down to 70 or so to take some minor turns. Took me right back to my kneedragger days. Even at legal speeds it was very predictable and throttle response was smooth, brakes were a bit more responsive then i liked, but it didn't take long to get use to it . I was on it about 30 minutes total. Very nice bike.
05 Honda Rebel
04 Spitfire Cub-24
05Suzuki S50

Maverick33
Regular
Regular

#9 Unread post by Maverick33 »

Do you have to have a specific license to test ride a bike on a dealers lot? How does all that work exactly? (Just wondering because I've visited a few shops and I want to try on a bike, but I didn't think they did that because of liability issues and so on.)
You only live once.

Scott58
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#10 Unread post by Scott58 »

I didn't ride it at the dealer (don't think they allow it). It was a friend of my brother who has it and told me to take it out when he heard I was interested in one. They are really nice bikes.
05 Honda Rebel
04 Spitfire Cub-24
05Suzuki S50