Getting back into riding

embries
Rookie
Rookie

#11 Unread post by embries »

Bought the VSTAR 1100 and love it. In 4 days I racked up 440 miles. (and I had to work all of those days, so the milage is after work). Although the bike is heavy, it's not unmanagable. Both my roommates can ride it just fine. One's 6'2" 170lbs, the other is 5'11" 150lbs. Of course it works better for me being 5'10" 260lbs, but overall I've been very pleased. I'm putting highway pegs on it next week (which necessitates engine guards) and a seat with a driver's backrest is somewhere in the future, but those are things that have to go into any bike purchase.

Canuckskie
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male

C50 - sure was a surprise

#12 Unread post by Canuckskie »

never really looked at the Boulevard C50 before, always had my eye on either the Aero 750 or the V-star, but after some saleman steered me to a C50 and sat on one for the first time, it sure felt nice. it actually felt lighter and more comfy to me than the Aero, of course that's in the showroom... felt very nice indeed, although i still like the Aero 750
never thought to look at the Boulevards before.
my first love was the V-star and i think if i really want the extra ooomph, i would chance the 1100 V-star over the 750 Aero, although that is one sweet little bike, trying to convince myself that the 750 will be enough for what i need and want. don't want to race down the highway, but also don't want to have it revved up to the point of silly vibrations either.
just when i thought i had it figured out.... there we go again
(even if we got snow and sleet in Cow-town, i still want one in the garage so i can sit on it and rev it up once in a while till spring comes...
ride on

brbolin
Elite
Elite

#13 Unread post by brbolin »

Eh...the Boulevard is the way you want to go. :wink: :P
Eight-hundred CC's will be plenty...and it won't be revving you out of your seat, either.

Canuckskie

Got a test ride - G-R-E-A-T DAY

#14 Unread post by Canuckskie »

got to try out a 2004 - 750 Aero today, very nice bike, was a good starter as i hadn't been on a bike for over 20 years, sure felt nice although i found it kinda dipped in corners at low speeds, guess its just getting used to a cruiser style. Also had the chance to try out an 1100 v-star custom, now what a difference, this was an older custom but it sure had some get up and go and didn't really find it too heavy on the road, a good twist of the throttle and she's gone. was grinning all the way. i'll have to get some practice in with slow turns as i found myself turning into parking lot entrances like i was driving a big truck but i know i'll get used to it, it was a sweet ride, a little chilly, but SWEET. couldn't think of a better way to spend saturday in cow-town.
minutes before that i missed a sweet deal on a fully decked out 1500 suzuki intruder, what a beauty of a bike. i had never thought of going that big but after sitting on it i couldn't believe how well balanced it was, didn't feel any heavier than the v-star. asked the sales girl about it but she had already done the papers for some guy at the desk and i watched in pain as they pushed it out of the showroom. what a sweet looking thing for $7000. oh well, maybe for the better. checked out the suzuki C90 which is the new replacement for the intruder but it sure didn't feel the same, felt a lot heavier and higher than the old intruder.
think i'll finalize the deal on the v-star on monday, sure have some good year-end prices right now, and hope i can get some nice days in before the snow gets here. later guys, ride on

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#15 Unread post by High_Side »

Good to hear that you are getting it narrowed down. There is no better way to torture yourself however than buyin' a new bike in Calgary in November :laughing: It's going to be a long winter....
As for the Intruder, your luck couldn't be any better. The one time that I had one out for a test ride it almost unloaded me at the first corner after leaving Walt Healys. The bike is wide with incredibly low floor boards and when the boards met the ashphault hard enough to feel as though the rear wheel was going to lift off the ground I found out how dangerous of a bike it was. I was not trying to "sport-bike it",be a smart-a$$ or anything else, just casually going around a corner. I later found out how gutless they were when my wifes old VTR250 Honda stayed right with a guy on one who was trying to impress at a traffic light on Deerfoot..... :laughing: Great choice with the V-Star :wink:

Canuckskie

Finally did it

#16 Unread post by Canuckskie »

Hey guys, did 'er today, closed the deal on a new 2005 v-star 1100
she should be ready to pull out of the shop maybe tomorrow. sure hoping for a couple more nice days in cow-town, i hear the weekend should be nice.. got a super deal at bow cycle, she's a black & blue
can't wait to drive it out of the showroom.
thanks for all your info, hope to see you on the road one of these days high_side. gotta pick up some insurance for it tomorrow and wait for a nice day to drive her home.
just one more question, how do you guys feel about the extended waranty, think its worth the extra thousand bucks for 4 yrs??
thanks again,
Ride On..

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#17 Unread post by High_Side »

Congrats Canuckskie! Glad to hear you put the deal together. AS for extendned warranty, I have neve had $1000 worth of repairs-due-to-manufacturer defects in any of my bikes going back 30 years. I consider extended warranty a bet where someone else has already secured the odds on winning. That said, it's a personal decision that you gotta make yourself...

Bubba
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#18 Unread post by Bubba »

Clean out the garage and go with the V-Star. :)
BTW: Welcome back.
2004 Yamaha Midnight Silverado
<-------------------------------------

Canuckskie

She came home today

#19 Unread post by Canuckskie »

Hi guys, got to drive the new v-star home today, still grinnin'
a bit of a chilly run getting home but grinning all the way, very happy with my choice, just LOVE it.
will try to meet for pub night if i get free
later, and thanks

Ride On..

Canuckskie

Love the V-star

#20 Unread post by Canuckskie »

Just a little update on the new Star. Really loving it.
Been out riding evry day since i got it, this bike handles great and has all the power i need. Had the wife out for a little break in ride on Saturday, a little getting used to the extra weight on the back but not too bad overall.
the first add-on will definitely be a shield, it was getting a bit on the chilly side heading through cochrane today. have a few winter projects to do now, a mod to the pipes, a maxair kit and the oil relocation kit, backrest for mamma, shield and bags and she'll be ready for lots of cruising come spring time, ( and the odd day when we are graced with a wonderful chinook )
to anyone thinking about a v-star, all i can say is that i'm definitely sold on this little beauty, handles great, power's good, looks good.
(can't complain about their end of season sales now either)
all around very happy with it.
Ride On...