Getting back into riding

Canuckskie
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male

Getting back into riding

#1 Unread post by Canuckskie »

Decided to get back on 2 wheels after many years off the saddle, can't decide if I should go for something like the 750 Shadow Aero or 750 Ace, which are both beautiful bikes, or go for an 1100 V-star. Other option is to spend some bucks rebuilding my old '82 CB750 Custom, now in pieces cluttering up my garage.
Sat on the 750 Aero and Ace which do feel pretty nice, but found the 1100 V-star a bit on the heavy side. Really liked the 650 V-Star, but think i would overgrow it fairly quick. any comments appreciated. :frusty:
thanks

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#2 Unread post by Gummiente »

One of the most common complaints I hear about the V-Star 650 is that people outgrow it very quickly. It won't shatter any land speed records or peel your skin back during acceleration, that's for sure. The V-Star 1100 is pretty much the same physical size as the 650 but has a lot more grunt (and weight, as you've noticed). I've also heard lots of good things about the Shadow and Aero, so your best bet is to attend a few demo rides at your local bike dealers. Once you've taken all the bikes on your short list out for a ride it'll be a lot easier to make a choice.

Or you could resurrect that old CB750. Check with your insurance company first, though. I'm not sure how it works out in Alberta but here in Ontario many companies are refusing to underwrite any bike over 20 years old.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Canuckskie

Thanks for the advice

#3 Unread post by Canuckskie »

Thanks for the post. Guess i'll have to wait for spring for a test ride now. it'll give me more time to drool and itch to get going. Leaning towards the 1100 V-star, really love the looks of that bike.
also found a place in Calgary where i can get a refurbished 750 engine for my old beast cheaper than fixing the old one. think i'll still resurrect it but seriously looking at the v-star.
thanks, and best regards to the boys down your way, used to live in Brockville, might have to take my new ride for a burn across the country one of these days.
Ride on

embries
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by embries »

I'm leaning towards an 1100 VStar myself. Being a newbie (finishing the MSF tomorrow) I'm sure I'll hear about how I'm going to kill myself, but I'm not dropping 6K for a bike that I'm going to outgrow in a year when I can spend 9.5K on something I'll be happy with for a while.

keysman

#5 Unread post by keysman »

If you're worried about spending all that cash on a smaller starter bike BUY USED! Just get something cheap and then turn it around in 12 months for the new bike you really want.
New Hotness: 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
Old & Busted: 2003 BMW F650CS

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

Re: Thanks for the advice

#6 Unread post by High_Side »

Canuckskie wrote:.
also found a place in Calgary where i can get a refurbished 750 engine for my old beast cheaper than fixing the old one. think i'll still resurrect it but seriously looking at the v-star.
Hey another local! Your actually only about 20 minutes from the TMW head office :laughing: You'll have to come out for one of our not-so-famous-not-so-regular pub nights. As for refurbishing the old 750 Custom: that sounds like a great way to ease back into the sport over the winter. I'd then put a few Ks on it in the spring to blow the cob-webs out and look at the 1100. I think that you would be dissappointed with the power of the 650 twin after riding your 750 4 cylinder.....IMO. I'm also interested as to who is going to supply you with the refurbished engine from cow-town????
High_Side

embries
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by embries »

keysman wrote:If you're worried about spending all that cash on a smaller starter bike BUY USED! Just get something cheap and then turn it around in 12 months for the new bike you really want.
I could spend 6K for a new one, or 4.5K used. Nobody 'round here or on eBay selling one for less (that's in good shape), same goes for 1100. It's very difficult to find a good used bike on the cheap. Could be because so many people are getting involved lately, the old stuff is experiencing a high demand.

Canuckskie

thanks HiSide

#8 Unread post by Canuckskie »

hello neighbor,
thanks for the invite, would love to join you for a cold one, just don't know where???
for the 750 motor, i was checking out TJ's, now i could be wrong on the reburbished side of it, sounded a bit on the cheap side. mine was working fine till i decided to change the plugs and found them welded to the head, now have one twisted off, and another one almost there :(
found a few good deals in bowness, thinking of closing a deal on either a 750 shadow or an 1100 v-star this week, but still find the v-star a bit on the heavy side for me. (i'm 5'10" - 163 lbs soaking wet - lol)
really like the shadow as far as feel and weight, but really like the looks of the v-star, what u think??
let me know where you meet for a brew, would love to meet and chat sometimes. thanks again, ride on

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#9 Unread post by Sev »

embries wrote:
keysman wrote:If you're worried about spending all that cash on a smaller starter bike BUY USED! Just get something cheap and then turn it around in 12 months for the new bike you really want.
I could spend 6K for a new one, or 4.5K used. Nobody 'round here or on eBay selling one for less (that's in good shape), same goes for 1100. It's very difficult to find a good used bike on the cheap. Could be because so many people are getting involved lately, the old stuff is experiencing a high demand.
My best friend bought an 82 maxim 3 years ago for $1500 put 5000km on it, then sold it to his brother for $1000 who has to date put another 12000km on it. He was offered $1500 for it 2 months ago. He didn't sell it because he needed to keep his only vehicle and is saving up to move out of the province. Together they've spent about $500 on maintenance for the last three years, and that includes having to get new chain/sprockets once. And a new battery + labour. He's planning on selling it soon though. And will most likely get his $1500 back in the spring, and easily.

So basically between the two of them they spent $500 for a motorcycle for 3 years. And then gas. Seems like a good deal to me.

Edit: We live about 3 hours north of you. If you're looking for a used bike check out Re-cycle in Stony Plain, they sell ALL kinds for good prices:

Suzuki Savage
Kawasaki LTD 550

There's all kinds of good used bikes out there if you're willing to look. And really they only need to last you a season, then resell them for what you spent. Just an idea anyways.

Anyways, as an opinion, always take feel over looks. If you don't like the way it feels to sit on the bike you'll be less likely to ride it, and you won't get your monies worth. If you feel comfortable on it you'll have way more fun!
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

brbolin
Elite
Elite

#10 Unread post by brbolin »

I'm a "newbie" and took the MSF class a month ago. I started on a Suzuki M50 two weeks ago. First bike ever...do not regret it.
I was originally wanting a VStar 650 Custom. People telling me that it won't break land-speed records and such didn't bother me. I wasn't doing this for the speed...just the fun and enjoyment of riding a bike. When I mentioned wanting to ride 2-up with my wife, they said that the 650 could do it, but would act a little "sluggish"...especially on hills and such. I then saw the Suzuki M50. With that being an 800cc engine, I knew it'd be PLENTY of bike for me for a while.
I did look at the VStar 1100's, but they were a little out of my price range, and I've heard you have to either remove the exhaust to change the oil, or get a relocator kit. Between those options there, I went with the Suzuki. LOVE the bike, great control/comfort and wouldn't trade it for the world!
I, myself, didn't care for the styline of the Honda's in my size/price range. Don't mean to throw another log on the fire, but you may want to check out Suzuki's line. http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/Cr ... fault.aspx
That will take you right to the "Cruiser" area. Check them out, sit on a few and see what you think.
The M50 is about 70 lbs. heavier than the VStar 650 Custom. The VStar 1100 is about 100 lbs heavier than the 650 custom. Just a little weight info for you. The Suzuki line-up has the M50 (custom/bobbed fender/"muscle" look), the C50 (cruiser/big fenders/"cruising" look), and the S50 (standard/minimal fenders/"basic" look).
Check 'em out. No, I'm not a salesman...I just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express... :frusty: