sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

Impressions of a 650

#1 Unread post by sapaul »

So they gave me this BMW GS 650 to get home on when I took the K1200S for a service. OK why not give it a review. First impression: Out of the dealership two robots and onto a three lane highway, wind it up to keep up with the flow, about 140kmh. No problem, what a pleasure. No work either. Nice upright position, everything seems to happen between 4000 and 6500. Dip the shoulder it changes lanes, dip the other way, same happens. OOPS need to split lanes, no problem nice and slim, way up high I can see over just about all the cars except for the blonde in the SUV, no worry I just past her. Putt Putt Putt Putt Putt. This engine is strong it just pulls, not arm wrenching or anything, just strong. The handlebars are wide and take only minor adjustements. It's windy but I am not being blown around. The brakes are gentle with plenty of feed back and not much dive on the front either. This really is very pleasant. AH well back to the office. LUNCHTIME. So out comes the Goose "come on then" she said "when you are 75 this might be all you can handle, I need to know what its' going to be like". Off we go for a street Blitz, nice quiet suburb to do some carving. Dual tyres, so I take it easy, a little faster and tighter each time. Eventually I give up trying to get to the limit, it's just not there. It's agile, nimble and very flickable. This is fun. I head for the dustbowl. Not much mud cause it hasn't rained yet. There is no wallow and it soaks everthing up. Gear changing has to be deliberate but I have not missed a gear and neutral is easy to find. We head back to the office cause we have a 2:00 meeting. The plan is for me to follow to the meeting and go from there to the dealership to collect the bike. As we sit in the meeting, the heavens open and we have a typical African sun shower. Not a cloud to be seen but down pours the rain. I hate this cause it just loosens up the crud on the roads and does not wash it away. I know I am going to have to take it easy. Meeting over, time to collect my bike. You name it the roads were full of it. Within ten minutes I am trusting those dual tyres big time, there is no stepping out, no sliding under brakes, just very very stable. OK BIKE, my turn. No cars, open road and I stand on the back brake doing 80kmh. Dead straight, wheel locked, the bike did not bat an eyelid. I heard a little voice say "If thats all you got I am not impressed" Let me tell you, I AM. I have tossed this bike around the track before, but have never had the chance to really put it through the paces. I am sure that if I looked for fault I could find some but there is nothing that jumps out at you. Get to the dealership and back on the K12S. All the way back I wished I was back on the 650. My super stickys are not so sticky on that ice rink.
My overall impression of the 650 is a gentle bike with loads of forgiveness. Kind of like a brunettte that dies her hair blonde. Still got the brains but likes to have fun but not go overboard. Luckily for me I do not have to commute to work. If I did this would be my bike of choice. It has plenty of grunt, is perfectly behaved and whilst I can't comment on the longer runs, there are plenty of guy's and girls that ride weekend runs with the club that never complain about their rides. When I asked the Goose for a comment, I got."NOT BAD, Not bad at all" Believe me, to get that out of the Goose, she must have been well impressed.
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

xenosymmetry
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

#2 Unread post by xenosymmetry »

Good article and review. Thanks. I keep wanting to get the biggest and best. Nice to see a happy biker on a 650 (Especially one that was used to the 1200)

Hey, I have a question: I will soon be getting a new ride. I'm looking at the MT-01 first, the K1200r second, the Speed Tripple third (coincidence) and lastly, the Guzzi V11 naked. I love the look of a naked bike. The sound you get from a big Vee twin is what makes me really want the Yamaha, but I keep looking at the k1200r. The 1200s has been around for a few years and it's [the r] basically the same bike, but with no fairing.

How do you like your K1200? (I know, off topic...)

*edit*
I saw your other article about your K1200s. :-)
I'd still like your opinion on what it would handle like without all the plastic.

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#3 Unread post by BuzZz »

Your looking at an MT-01 first? So are they selling them in North America now? This would be good news to me, so I'm hoping.....
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#4 Unread post by Sev »

Yeah, Canadian Biker Announced that they should be here soon.

I'd want to sit on one before I bought it though, the v-max feels wrong to me!

Besides I can barely keep up to your fjr1100, how am I going to match a MT-01??
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#5 Unread post by High_Side »

Sevulturus wrote: Besides I can barely keep up to your fjr1100, how am I going to match a MT-01??
With alot less trouble.... :wink: I can't help but think you'll be disappointed with the power Buzz.... Hope I'm wrong though...

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#6 Unread post by BuzZz »

I'm sure the power will be substantially less than I could live with.... in my only bike.

The reason it's good news they are bringing it over now, is so that I can afford a used one(or an XB-12, or a SpeedTriple or such) in 4-5 years when I can scoop a used one. There's no factory-fresh bike in my future unless the Lotto guys finally come to their senses.

And I wouldn't want to have only that bike in my garage, but it would be fun to have for blitzin' around on. And I'm sure that in 5 years, more than a couple of outfits will have power upgrades figured out and available. :twisted:
No Witnesses.... :shifty: