Victory Kingkin or Vulcan 1600?

slider03
Regular
Regular

Victory Kingkin or Vulcan 1600?

#1 Unread post by slider03 »

I'm starting to look at bigger cruisers. I'll use it to commute in rush hour traffic, take overnight trips, and sometimes carry a passenger. I'm 6'2" 190 lbs. and need a bike that's comfortable for a tall rider. Any experience with either of these bikes? I'd like to compare comfort, price, power, vibration, stock seats, reliability, etc. Any better bikes in this class?

Thanks!

schwartzkm
Rookie
Rookie

#2 Unread post by schwartzkm »

Victory Opinion:

I had a victory and it never left me stranded. The engine was rock solid the three years I had it (I used it as my primary form of transportation while I owned it). The only thing I did was basic maintenance type stuff that would have to be done on any bike (change tires, brake pads, oil etc..) From what I have heard, the engines and transmissions in the newere model are MUCH better than in my 99 victory.

Problem:
1) Steered like a firetruck. I think all the big cruisers suffer from this, though. I like smaller, more nimble cruisers for commuting. (I would get a naked sports bike but my wife will not let me get anything that looks fast. Ohhhhh, the trade-off us married people make! Speed Triple or Ducati Monster rocks!)

2) The older model had all its components in the headlight. Why is that a problem? The amps it draws forced me to keep it on a battery tender otherwise it would not start if I didn't ride it for a few days (bad weather weeks).

snwflk303
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

Big Cruisers

#3 Unread post by snwflk303 »

I can't speak for the Victory although it is a really sweet looking bike.
My bike is an 06 1600 Nomad. For me it rides like a dream. Every time I take it, in town and out, highway or byway I am amazed at how sweet the handling is. I look, it goes. It almost seems to lean itself. I've been riding nonstop for 36 years, this is my biggest bike and the easies handling on the road. Being a scant under 5"9 and 162 lbs, I did opt for risers so that I could have a better riding position.

insaneman_12
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 25
My Motorcycle: Motorcycle

#4 Unread post by insaneman_12 »

Road Star beats them both, but for those two Victory will be beter. Vulcans always have motor problems.
71 CB 750 K1
94 PC 800
76 CB 550 K
75 TS 185
76 TC 185
63 YSA-1
06 YZ 450F
84 XL 350R
02 KX 85 with 75 XR 75 motor XR 200 sus.

snwflk303
Regular
Regular

Astounding.

#5 Unread post by snwflk303 »

Bashing bikes other than ones own seems to be popular on this website. the only time many of the members get together is bashing HD. My last bike was a 99 800A, a Kawasaki Vulcan. As a daily rider even during tropical storms with winds gusting over 35MPH it never let me down, After 6 years and 45K the only repairs were front brake pads an O ring for the coolant and at 40K I changed the chain.

Anyway, lets all just smile and get along. No need in bashing anything.

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#6 Unread post by ZooTech »

insaneman_12 wrote:Vulcans always have motor problems.
Source?

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#7 Unread post by Gummiente »

ZooTech wrote:
Source?
From his brother's co-worker's neighbour's sister's fiancee, who got it off the internet, of course. :lol:
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Rydr
Elite
Elite

#8 Unread post by Rydr »

I like the Kingpin myself. Just the looks as I've never ridden one.

It doesn't matter what I think though, it's what you think. Go to the motorcycle dealers and check out the bikes you are interested in. Sit on them and try to a feel for them. See if they fit. If you can wrangle a test ride on the bike from the dealer so much the better. Don't put to much stock into what people say on forums as many tend to be biased.

Make up your own mind.

Good luck with your choice and happy riding.

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#9 Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) »

ZooTech wrote:
Source?
+1

I can't give you advice on the Kingpin, but my husband had a Vulcan 1600 classic, which he purchased from my brother in law and it never had a problem. It's comfortable for both the daily commute and for long distance, that's in comparison to the Victory. There are obvisouly better choices for traveling. The problem is that what is comfortable for one person is not for the other, they key is to sit on them both and get a feel for it.

The only Vulcans that used to have habitual probelms are the older Nomads that had a plastic oil gear. Besides that there realy hasen't ever been anything else.
2006 VTX 1300 R

Life looks alot better through a set of handlebars!!

stargazertony
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by stargazertony »

Hi insaneman_12: I ride frequently with a number of Vulcan owners and can't recall any of them having "motor problems". In fact, am considering a Vulcan 900 LT as my next ride. The group I ride most with has lots of different make bikes and it seems all are very reliable. All, well most anyway, are well maintained - that means a lot. I think the problems many bike owners have, regardless of make, are self induced. They add on something that doubles torque then complain when rear tires, clutches, and other rear components fail more frequently. Or add some wiz-bang device to their engine that caused it to throw a piston.