M50 or Vstar 1100 Custom?

t_bonee
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by t_bonee »

King Frog wrote:
Honda Shadow Sabre/Spirit......-BULLET PROOF had a 98 Shadow 1100 and know it like the back of my hand....Bland but reliable and feels light for an 1100. Not all bloated like the VTX's and AERO 750 Hydro valve lifters..no adjusments $7200
So the Shadow Spirit/Sabre's have the automatic valve adjustment features?

For some reason, I though only Kawasaki bikes had that.
A dog had his chain reduced one link at a time, every few days, until his chain was so short he could barely move. He never resisted because he was conditioned to the loss of his freedom slowly, over time. Are we in this country becoming like the dog?

paul246
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#12 Unread post by paul246 »

Just to clear up one point.

YOU DO NOT have to remove the exhaust pipes or foot board to change oil/filter on the 1100 V-Star any longer. Yamaha changed the set up for the 2005 model. Also, this never was an issue on the 650 V-Star.

I've ridden both the 650 V-Star Custom and the M50.

I prefer the air-cooled set-up given the choice.

The 650 V-Star is nicely sized (not small) yet feels so much more lithe when riding around town. The M50 would have the advantage on the open highway.

Have never ridden the 1100 V-Star so can't comment there.

Its a very personal choice, get what suits you the most.
There is no such thing as a bad motorcycle.

Honda XR650L Dual-Sport

King Frog
Regular
Regular

#13 Unread post by King Frog »

Wow Great information. I did not know Yamaha changed their oil filter location. MY next concern were valve adjustments. What is the interval and the dealer cost? I read the procedure but I don't find wrenching a hobby...lol

A 900 would be perfect for me as well and I will take a look at the Kawasakis entry at that engine size. I do need a bike that will travel freeways easily with two up (300lbs total). i LOVE the AIR cooled feature although I wonder how the rear cylinder stays as cool as the front.......

MotoF150
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#14 Unread post by MotoF150 »

I own an M50 and take my word for it "" DON'T BUY IT "" Where do I start?? The bike has a low and lean forward riding postion, the seat is too soft and the handlebars are too far away that you are stretching ur body, you don't steer the bike, you push on the handlebars to steer it, you find yourself fighting the bike to ride it, after about 50 miles of riding ur body is physicially worn out, its NOT a bike where you can lean back and relax, its a bike where you have to be alert and put effort into riding it. This bike requires a lot of skill. The back brakes are too weak, the bike has a hard time leaning the tight curves. The engine backfires both thru the exhaust and thru the air cleaner, the backfire comes with force thru the air cleaner bolt holes and hits the inside of my left knee and it feels like someone shot me with a BB gun, also the air cleaner sticks out too far on the left side that I can only rest my left foot on the outside edge of the footpeg. The front fender is too small and the tire throws mud and rocks into the radiator, the plastic engine covers scratch easy, the bikes are troublesome with electrical and fuel problems, no mechanic is properly trainned how to repair it and will tell you that, and any problem you have with the bike they will tell you thats the normal and all bikes run that way. I made a big mistake buying it, im stuck with it, I won't take it on any long trips cause I know that bike can't handle it, if you want a bike to ride short trips around town with smooth level roads the M50 will work.
2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 09 Yamaha Tmax, 08 Suzuki King Quad 750

canuckerjay
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#15 Unread post by canuckerjay »

Well, since the Dec. 8 posting, I did go and buy the2005 V*1100 Custom in the Midnight package. I'm happy with my choice. BTW, yes, you do have to remove the pipes to change the oil filter on the 2005 model unless you buy a filter relocation kit. Perhaps Yamy changed this for 2006.
Wherever you may roam
May you own your road.

King Frog
Regular
Regular

#16 Unread post by King Frog »

WOw I was tilting towards the M50 or C50T. I had some trepedation re the EFI. Thats quite a reversal from other user reviews i have been reading. Guess its time to hang around the service dept of the local Suzuki dealer and ask some customers.

And the 2005 V star has those dumb Dealer oil changes still .. And the valves need adjusting. Even HD has hydro valves lately.

Seems the old reliable Shadow 1100 might be the ticket.........still.

Then again Im thinking you may have an AXE to grind with Suzuki as a far too identical review is posted on About.com.http://motorcycles.about.com/library/us ... kes292.htm

IM guess you rode sport bikes and this may be your first cruiser as most of them have a low riding position and a reach to the bars. As well they do not handle like a sport's bike nor brake like a sports bike. Sound like someone needed lower insurance rates and expected too much from the MONSTER crusier. The reveiwer ther also says top speed is "only" 105. Now WHAT crusier rider really really cares about going over 105 MPH?