M50 or Vstar 1100 Custom?

canuckerjay
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male

M50 or Vstar 1100 Custom?

#1 Unread post by canuckerjay »

Finally paid off my student loans; and am looking at the above two. Opinions on either are GREATLY appreciated.
Wherever you may roam
May you own your road.

brbolin
Elite
Elite

#2 Unread post by brbolin »

I'll be more than happy to jump in here first. :D
While, not exactly in the same shoes, I was very similar.
First, do you have any experience on motorcycles at all? What's your build and such? These are things that I'm sure will be brought up by other people.
Now, I'm a newbie, 5'11"; 185 lbs.; 27 yrs. old, got the bug in June (NEVER considered a motorcycle before that for some reason...). Took the MSF class in September, bought my FIRST BIKE mid-October.
From June until October I was on the fence between the VStar 650 Custom and the M50. The VStar 1100 was out of my price range, so it wasn't considered.
The styling of the M50, to me, was just amazing. I loved the way the lines flowed, I loved the way the headlight was built, just all around loved it.
My concern with the M50, though, was it's size. It was about 70 lbs. heavier than the VStar. I spent those next months going back and forth between three or four dealers in my area trying to decide on which on to get.
I took the MSF class and passed with flying colors. I had my mind set on the M50, but was a nervous wreck. I had no way of getting it home from the dealership 45 miles away other than riding it. I was wanting to be able to get it home, then practice in a nearby lot before taking it out on the road, but no such luck.
Ended up getting the M50 and haven't regretted it since. I only have about 475 miles on it, due to time and weather, but am looking forward to any day above 40 degrees to ride some.
Now, I don't have any prior experience to base it off of, but I did take it to a buddy of mine who has ridden all sorts of bikes in the past. Earlier this summer he rode a buddies crotch rocket to and from work. A year ago he rode around on one of his buddies Goldwings for a few days, so he has some experience.
He's been looking at the VStar Classics for himself (and his wife). Well, I showed up with my M50 and asked if he wanted to take it for a zip. He hopped on it, revved it up a few times and smiled and took off.
When he came back he was really mad...I just made him put another bike on his list of bikes to consider. He loved it, and that made me feel even better about my choice.
The response is GREAT, the weight isn't an issue, the Fuel Injection is a great thing in cold weather, and there's PLENTY of power...especially for me being a newbie.
If I would've gone the VStar 650 route, I know I would be sitting there thinking "Hmm...I wonder how that M50 would've been..." but now, I don't think anything other than, "when will it warm up a little more so I can ride?"
Another thing about the VStar 1100 is the oil relocation kit you need to be able to "easily" change your oil. If you don't get one, you have to remove the exhause, I believe.
Go around to area dealers, test-ride if you can, and one will indefinitely speak to you.
I love my M50 and wouldn't trade it for the world...a Victory Vegas maybe, but that's it...
Anyway, enjoy your search. This is the "fun" part before actually getting to ride.

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#3 Unread post by ZooTech »

I've ridden the V-Star 1100 (Classic) and have only sat on the M50 but would pick the latter over the former even despite the lack of seat time.

However, you're more than likely leaning towards one over the other and are trying your best to eliminate future buyer's remorse. Just buy the one you know you want and never look back. You can't own them all so you just gotta get the one that fits the best for now and run with it!

basshole
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#4 Unread post by basshole »

The M50 ROCKS!!!! A very cool bike indeed. And with the M50 you don't need to take the pipes off to change your damn oil!!! :frusty:
Beer. Helping ugly people get laid since 1853
2006 Suzuki C50 Silver/Gray

canuckerjay
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#5 Unread post by canuckerjay »

brbolin wrote: First, do you have any experience on motorcycles at all? What's your build and such? These are things that I'm sure will be brought up by other people.
Thanks for everyone's comments. BrBolin, I'm an experienced rider, though have been off the road for about 4 years now due to another degree and then low starting salary. The host body I am currently occupying is 5'10", 190 on a good week, 200 around Christmas time.

I love the look of the VStar, notably in that Midnight Black package. I've just met the M50 at the bike show, though, and it looks alright in black. Then I started looking at important stuff -- it's liquid cooled and fuel injected, which is a bloody attractive package. It's also cheaper than the star.

My turn off is I'm not as pleased with the esthetics of the M50, and am concerned that it's an 800; though some bikes with smaller engines have blown away bigger ones (ie Late model Magnas). However, a lot of reviews on the net I'm finding have dogged the M50 for an incredible lack of power.

Any comments on that (and thanks so much for all your help).
Wherever you may roam
May you own your road.

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#6 Unread post by ZooTech »

canuckerjay wrote: My turn off is I'm not as pleased with the esthetics of the M50
Nothing can be done about that since looks are subjective. If you're not pleased with the looks now you probably never will be. Perhaps the C50 is more your style?
canuckerjay wrote:and am concerned that it's an 800; though some bikes with smaller engines have blown away bigger ones (ie Late model Magnas). However, a lot of reviews on the net I'm finding have dogged the M50 for an incredible lack of power.
Were they owner reviews or magazine articles? Every magazine review I have read about the M50 has praised its power output and flat powerband. Having ridden the C50 (same engine as the M50) and the V-Star 1100 Classic, I have to say in stock form they are about equal. In fact, I found the 1100 to be quite the little pussycat until my bro-in-law dropped some serious money into pipes, a BAK (Big Air Kit), and new jetting. Only after said upgrades could I tell a difference between the two bikes, but I suspect if the same upgrades were done to the C50 the playing field would be leveled once again.

In the end, buy what makes you happy. They're both great bikes.

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by Sev »

While power shouldn't be the first issue or sticking point when you buy a bike :) I can tell you that the M50 has plenty of grunt. How do I know? When I first got into riding I went for a ride on the back of my friends, we were headed out to look at used bikes for me. He owns the 04, so it was called a marauder then.

Anyways, there was some highway in which he was effortlessly passing cars, trucks, suvs, everything. Easy cruising at 140kmh with no hesitation anywhere that I could tell.

That and he gunned it at a stop light I wasn't really paying attention at, and I almost went off the back.

If he really guns it and revs high, focuses on his shifting and everything else, he can do a decent job of keeping up with my Honda 599 off the line up to about 70, at which point my detuned race engine will pull away.

The M50 doesn't lack power.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

brbolin
Elite
Elite

#8 Unread post by brbolin »

Power-wise, I don't think you'll be lacking any. Again, this is my first bike, so the only thing I have to compare it to is my 10-Speed mountain bike...so of course there's a little more power than that has. :wink:

The aesthetics (and price) of the M50 is what won me over.

Your size sounds a lot like mine (especially around the holidays...). I don't think you'll have any trouble at all with the M50, but I may be partial. :wink:
If you do not like the looks of it, though, you may want to go with the V-Star. I didn't go with the V-Star for a few reasons...the 650's I saw were going for about the same price as the M50's (the V-Stars were 2006's, the M50's were 2005's, but both "new"). I liked the enclosure of the headlight of the M50 more than the just "out there" look of the V-Star's headlight.
The flow of the bike (the line from front to back) just seemed so much smoother than on the V-Star...especially at the seat area.
Personally, if there's some aesthetics you don't like about the M50, you may want to go with the V-Star...Like was mentioned above, one will definitely speak to you more than the other.
I was all gung-ho for the V-Star 650 Custom until I saw the M50. Once I saw that puppy, I knew it had to me mine.
Oh, one other thing...for one that may plan on doing some additions, etc., the V-Star's aftermarket is better, I think. Personally, I plan on keeping my baby stock for a while, so the aftermarket parts weren't a big selling point with me.
Again, they're both GREAT bikes, so you'll be happy whichever direction you go. Just hop on one and don't look back. 8)

canuckerjay
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#9 Unread post by canuckerjay »

Thanks for all your comments, guys -- much appreciated.
Wherever you may roam
May you own your road.

King Frog
Regular
Regular

#10 Unread post by King Frog »

Iam in the same delema with the Honda 1100 Spirit thrown in the mix.

The Vstar..Like the air cooling (less to worry about) BUT valve adjustments? Nasty oil changes. The Silverado is the only bike Id buy there. V Star is THE MOST wannabe HArley in look.

Honda Shadow Sabre/Spirit......-BULLET PROOF had a 98 Shadow 1100 and know it like the back of my hand....Bland but reliable and feels light for an 1100. Not all bloated like the VTX's and AERO 750 Hydro valve lifters..no adjusments $7200

Suzuki........Suzuki has always been the also ran in bikes. Lowest resale. BUT the technology AND look of the M50 is alot to pass on. The differnece between the 800 EFI and 1100 breathers has to be minimal at best. Priced right. BUT the same thing I love about the technology I also fear....What if the EFI needs work? Sounds expensive.

Im leaning towards the Suzuki because of the price/value ratio. Just bags and a windscreen are all the accessories I need so the whole phone book of accessories means nothing to me ala HD and "Star"....