Honda or Suzuki

jboogie
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Honda or Suzuki

#1 Unread post by jboogie »

I have been riding for 13 years and have never had anything bigger than a 650. My first 7 bikes were sport bikes and last summer I wanted to get a more comfortable cruiser. I bought the S40. Now I am wanting more in a bike and can't decide between the Honda VTX 1300 or the Suzuki M50. Both are about same price. Which would be better for two riders, and still be good for a person who still wants the fast sport bike? :mrgreen:

Scott58
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#2 Unread post by Scott58 »

Faster then those 2 would be the S50, but you'll trade a bit of comfort for it.
05 Honda Rebel
04 Spitfire Cub-24
05Suzuki S50

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

Re: Honda or Suzuki

#3 Unread post by ZooTech »

jboogie wrote:Which would be better for two riders, and still be good for a person who still wants the fast sport bike? :mrgreen:
As a sporty cruiser for a solo rider, the M50 is probably the better bet. However, if you're going 2-up, the extra cc's in the VTX will really help. All of the reviews I have read regarding the VXT1300 praised the handling, ergos, and brakes. And the rear quarters should be more accomodating to your passenger.

Of course, $9,599.00 (MSRP for a VTX1300) is not that far off from the cost of a new Mean Streak, and is more than enough for a well-equipped used one, if you're so inclined. The Meanie utilizes sport-touring rubber, inverted front forks, and sport bike brakes. It's plenty big for all-day two-up riding, and can hold its own when the compass goes into spin mode.

jboogie
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by jboogie »

Thank you guys. I did consider the S83 but I have the S40 and know that I will be stopping at a lot of gas stations with it. I love the way my bike looks and feels, but on the highway it just isn't there. The Mean Streak would be nice though. Too bad we don't see a lot of them around here at dealerships. I did find its twin though. The 2004 Suzuki Maruder 1600. Realy want that bike but it is out of price range. Oh well!

brbolin
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by brbolin »

I have an M50 (my first bike, so I don't really have anything to compare it to), but I LOVE it! I let a friend of mine ride it and he loved it, too. He was looking into getting a VStar 1100, but after riding the M50 said that it may have made him change his mind. It's so smooth and comfortable.
Granted, this was a solo ride. I will eventually be going "2-Up" with my wife on it come spring, but right now, it's just me and love it.
I really like the looks of the 1300's, and I've read that they're just as good (if not better than) the 1800's...because of the weight and engine ratio.
I'd say that either one will be a good choice for you. Personally, I like the M50. Sure, it's engine isn't as big, but yet it's also 100 pounds lighter than the VTX. The lines of the M50 look a little "smoother" to me (may be biased...), and I also like the fact the rear shocks are hidden. Now, when it comes time to change the setting on it I may change my mind...but it looks a little cleaner.
The VTX looks like it may be about $3000 more than the M50, but if you're in an area where they're offering them at the same price, it's up in the air.
If you do go with the VTX, get the orange. I think that color looks GREAT on the VTX-C.
Good luck!

roystr
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

im not sure if a cruiser is what you want

#6 Unread post by roystr »

but if your not sold on a cruiser only,then you might think about a vstrom. alot think its ugly,it kinda is i guess. but the engine is so sweet when im alone,and two up its passable.i could tour in small bits(200 miles rest,200miles ect) the wife didnt make to much noise about the rear seat.(she has her own now,so i ride solo)(she has a yam 1100 classic)

it can scrape the pegs but not with me doing the driving. i also lean to the semi off road abilities of the bike. not quite as good off road as the bmw gs,, but loads better on anything but dirt. so its a trade off. not one i regret.

the strom has only one thing that bugs me,,,, as well as most owners,,the windshield dosent work as well as it ought to,but even though we complain about the wind noise(ear plugs) id guess 90% of us keep it for its versatility and the engine. i,like others am looking for a windshield to replace the stocker,theyr cheap enough,and a lil height cant hurt.
i also have the stock givi hard bags/trunk and though i haul most of our gear when we travel,,,id have prefered the more durable aluminum square type. the one sthey use for dakar races or the type. they dont cost much more,AND if the bike goes down they would be more protection than my stockers,,and scratches wouldnt be anything to worry about.
my bike.luggage is yellow,im not thrilled with the color,,but the cagers will see me thats for sure.

it has been out since about 2002,and other than a few small things ,,i dont know of any problems with the bike. change the oil/filters and keep fuel in it,,i expect to own it for the rest of my life,and i doubt ill have to do a thing to it ever. least thats what some of the guys say,,,that have 4 or five times the miles on theirs. oh obviously tires a big deal if the bike is to ever leave the black top. the stockers arent much better if at all than reg street tires. but real good tires are available for the ocasional dirt tour,back road type of thing.

what i like best is that i can go beat around on dirt/gravel/sandy roads and wideish trails. when it comes time to change the chain i will def go with a larger rear sprocket to gear her down a bit. ive had her at an indicated 125mph,,,, ill gladly lose 20 or even 30mph to have a much better off road low(1st) gear.

anything else you want to know, e-me.

enjoy whatever you get

roy
PS:i paid 7300 for it(its looks got me a deal heh heh)
i get about 45-55 mpg. its a vtwin. 90hp/85ish tq
DL 1000,vstrom

grampi
Veteran
Veteran

#7 Unread post by grampi »

I really like the looks of the 1300's, and I've read that they're just as good (if not better than) the 1800's...because of the weight and engine ratio.[/quote]

As good or better at what, handling? Yes they are. Accelerating? Not a chance!
Last edited by grampi on Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

DrDecay
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by DrDecay »

Check out the Victory dealer for a used Vic! You can get a good $ on a used one. Depends on what type of riding you are looking for, but the Kingpin is a classy ride and you can set it up for a great 2-up with bags! And not everybody has one like the metrics. These are ROCK SOLID DEPENDABLE and you would still be buying American! Overhead cams & Fuel Injected, belt drive & 100 cubic inches/6 speed! Oh man, what a woody!
Bikes, Boats & Dr. Pepper... You thought I was going to say beer!

2002 Victory TC Deluxe --"Miss Vicky"--Cherry Red over Silver...Stage 1, Getting more Chrome every day!

Hammersfan
Regular
Regular

#9 Unread post by Hammersfan »

If its roughly the same price then I'd say go for the Honda. I have recently bought the M50 (haven't picked her up yet ) but 500cc of displacement can't be sniffed at !
Ride Safe

Hammersfan

Martilyo
Rookie
Rookie

Honda or Suzuki

#10 Unread post by Martilyo »

I traded in my '05 Suzuki M50 for a '06 Honda VTX 1300C, and it was the best move I ever made!
I loved the styling of the M50, it was fast and handled well, somewhat loud for me, and the rear drum brake is useless. With a passenger onboard the engine was really struggling, and the seats are super hard and uncomfortable. Gas mileage was 49mpg overall, 55mpg highway. Accessories are still hard to find since the bike is relatively new unless you buy the overpriced Boulevard assessories.
As for the VTX 1300, it has front and rear disc brakes, 500cc more engine and the difference is night and day. The seat is softer and more comfortable, at 75 mph the M50 is whining and loud. The VTX is purring with a low rumbling sound and still has substantial power left. Gas mileage for my VTX 1300 is 40mpg city, 52mpg highway at 70-75 mph. With my wife onboard, I can't tell the difference in power because it has so much of it. It is so much more comfortable on long trips and short trips are just as enjoyable.
Personally, I would never again own a bike smaller than 1000cc.