2004 BMW R 1200 C Series bikes

brbolin
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

2004 BMW R 1200 C Series bikes

#1 Unread post by brbolin »

Does anybody have any experience with these bikes? I was just cruising over the web, looking at different types of bikes, and these really struck a chord with me. I'm not sure what it is, but there's something about them I really like.
I received their literature through mail, and it's a nice full-color booklet with nice pictures in it and a little information.
I was just curious if anyone had actually seen on in person or ridden one.
The closest dealer is about 3 hours away, so I won't be "taking a jaunt to see one up close" any time soon.

Thanks for any info!

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#2 Unread post by sapaul »

Sorry mate, only just saw this now. I am the BMW pimp meister and have ridden both of those bikes. The C is a typical cruiser but with BMW reliability. It handles very well but the small screen version gets uncomfortable around 180kms. Plenty of low down grunt and can handle two up with ease. Handling is solid and confidence inspiring. Can keep up with anything robot to robot and can lean more than most riders ability.

The CL is a very different bike, designed mainly for long distance comfort, top end is 160 but if you could refeul in flight the bike would just keep on going. The europeans love this bike more than the cruiser, it's a poser outside the Cafe and just loves the narrow twisty european roads. It can handle the poor weather better too. Handling feels a little heavy at slow speeds but irons out very quickly. If you are into speed limits, this is the bike. If you are into touring the world, this is the bike.
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

brbolin
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by brbolin »

Thanks, sapaul!
I like the styling of the C more than the CL, myself. I don't know what it is exactly about it, but these bikes really stand out from the "Cruiser" crowd, I think. It has very individual styling, and, like you said, the BMW quality than cannot be overlooked.
I was just concerned when I saw that they had been discontinued in 2004. I was afraid something happened, but see that it's more of a "moving on" thing with BMW than any problems.
When I go looking to move up from my M50, I'll definitely be considering one of these.

Thanks, again!

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#4 Unread post by TechTMW »

Consider, but only buy if the price is low. Build quality on these is sub-bmw. They threw them together to satisfy the cruiser market segment and never really upped the quality of the bikes since inception.

Engines are reliable as are the important bits (Like suspension and what have you) but the finish it pretty bad. Chromed parts go bad quickly if not religiously looked after and there are some bits that are made of plastic that shouldn't be.

Not a terrible choice, but not worth the asking price (IMO) Wouldn't turn it down if I found a deal on one though.
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

brbolin
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by brbolin »

Ahh...thanks for that tip, too.
I may stick with the Victory Vegas or Suzuki M109R, unless there's an awesome deal.

Andrew
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#6 Unread post by Andrew »

I'm in the same boat as brbolin. I've been looking around and the R1200C line really caught my attention.

I found a 2004 CLC with only 1700 miles on it for $11500. It was owned by a doctor who apparently didn't have time for it so he sold it back to the dealership. Is that a good deal?

I need to add that I am looking for my first bike and I'm looking more four a touring bike than anything else. I know this has a lot of CCs for a first bike, but it's heavy and from what I've read, not overpowered.