1996 YAMAHA FZR 600

05max
Regular
Regular

1996 YAMAHA FZR 600

#1 Unread post by 05max »

The FZR was built from 89 to 99 (I think) and little changed in those years. When it came out it was the $h!+........beat everything in the class for years. At this time is is gone from the lineup, but having sold tens of thousands YAMAHA hit a home run. I wanted something a bit more than the Ninja 250 I was learning the twisties on and wanted to stick with my brand. I searched until I found a bike. It was an eBay auction that went through it's course twice with no winner. I found it by searching the completed auctions - try it and you may score a deal. Guy wanted $X for it and it never got to reserve, but he was moving and also wanted some $. He was in Vegas and visiting the LA area (where I am) and we struck a deal on the phone. He brought it to my place the next day and I took a ride. It needed work, but ......oh well. I did a complete tune/service, 2 new tires (yes the 160 will fit the stock rim), new chain and sprockets - one tooth down on the front to 14, redid both seats and spent a lot of time cleaning it up. Now it is pretty sweet. Normal clutching and hard accel makes the front light in first and it will wheelie with light cluching. The steel frame gave it a few more lbs, but it kept the price down new and makes for a little lower priced bike now compared to others in the class. Stock pipes have a pretty cool sound and I have no desire to spend loads of $ now that it runs right. It was down on both sides and I will replace the 2 engine covers and probably pull the plastic and paint it someday - then add aftermarket decals because factory replacements are BIG $........you know this if you ever tried to locate some OEM stuff. Since the tires are brand new I have not gotten it low yet, but it handles very well - for what it is. It is said that $1000 in upgrades will get you up to modern standards, but few riders ride to the point of even knowing this. It is good until I go for the R6 or R1 later..............and many people like it. So if you are looking for something to learn how to lean on then the FZR is not a bad place to start. It has a kinda thin seat so if you are heavy it won't be great on a long ride - I added some pad when it got redone. 91 and 92 get you a single square headlight (I don't like it) and the others are all duals - looks cooler. I think every year came with a difff decal set and color, but it's all pretty much the same under the skin. I give it a 9 - nice older sportsbike.
Last edited by 05max on Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ronboskz650sr
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by ronboskz650sr »

I've been looking at those, too...and waiting for a review...Thanks!
Ride safe...God bless!
-Ron
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/ronboskz650sr/avatartotal.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/ronboskz650sr/wholebikeavatar2.jpg[/img]

keysman
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#3 Unread post by keysman »

Nice review, thanks for the post Max. Can you post a picture of your bike, that would make this review a whole lot better! :D
New Hotness: 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
Old & Busted: 2003 BMW F650CS

05max
Regular
Regular

#4 Unread post by 05max »

Here is one on the first day after the big clean-up. The seat was still ripped, but you can't see that and it's the old tires. I told the shop to put a stock tire on front (110) and a 150 at the rear (stock is 140), but they put a 120 on front and a 160 on the rear. I think that he looked at a bike that was in the parking lot because I pointed it out when talking about the seat and he did not look up the numbers. I wanted the 110 for a little better turning and was not sure if a 160 would even fit the rear.......it's done so I guess I will leave 'em.

http://www.imagehosting.us/imagehosting ... ?id=358493

05max
Regular
Regular

Riding it.........

#5 Unread post by 05max »

I got new tires, but I was able to ride the Angeles Crest Highway (big twisty one here) and got the tires work down to about 3/4 from the end of the tread - the chicken strips - I can probably ride it close to the edge of the tread, but I need more seat time and miles on the rubber. So far it's great and super easy to handle. I also have a solo seat cowl coming to help it look a little better; it is a part no longer made, but I found one at a body shop - new for under $80 - shipped. It feels good at speed and smoother than my VMAX at 110 - which is no suprise. I had to keep checking my speed because the FZR feels like it is moving slower than it is - or maybe it's me just getting used to driving too fast :D Finally got the temp guage over 1/3 - stop and go slow moving LA traffic.

Still lovin' it.

05max
Regular
Regular

Still going...........

#6 Unread post by 05max »

I replaced the key on my crank with a special one so as to move the alt rotor 5 degrees - thereby adv the timing by 5degrees. I have also removed the fairing and ride it naked (naked bike - not naked rider) It feels better now and even pulls up the front on the 1-2 shift. The power is addictive - need more! I guess I will have to live w/ what I have until I can get that R1 - someday. Guess I can get to work on my VMAX supercharger.......
Last edited by 05max on Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

94FZR600
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by 94FZR600 »

I have a 94 FZR600 and have had the same experience you have. I love the bike, as it was my first.

I also have the 160 in the back, but am getting rid if it for a 150 Pirelli this winter. Two friends of mine have almost identical bikes and claim the 150 is a lot easier to throw hard into corners. You are right about the pull, and it will get vertical with no clutch if you set the rpms right in the 7 to 8 range.

Im glad to hear someone else in this forum has had an experience with the same bike and feels similar.

LCC
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by LCC »

I've had two of them and I'd not mind a third! Once you try the latest greatest you realize just how fun the old school bikes can be. Mine were both fast and fun and you can get hundreds of mods for them. I'll definitely have another....

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#9 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

The FZR600 is one of the nicest looking bikes IMO. Somthing about the fairing and that dual headlight just make it look good. I've been thinking of getting one as either a second bike, or a first if i can find one for the right price.
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

jakester
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

#10 Unread post by jakester »

I just bought a '91 fzr 600 w/ 19k miles on it. I am new to riding so this is my first bike. I am really interested in others have to say because I have never so much as even sat on another bike.

I was pretty happy with the deal I got it for $1900 and it has not been riden for 2 years. I took it home, drained the gas and gave it a tune up and inspection and have riden it a few times.

I am 6'3" so I think my height plays a role in my comfort. My knees seem to extend past where they are suppose to sit in the top fairing and my wrists get aweful sore after only riding for a short time. I sorta expected to be uncomfortable on the bike, so I think over time I will get used to it. In the future I will diffenatly go with a larger bike... but for now this is great.

Can this forum host pics?
91' FZR 600