Honda VTX or Kawi Mean Streak

rodzbike
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

Honda VTX or Kawi Mean Streak

#1 Unread post by rodzbike »

I'm looking for a cruiser and have narrowed it to 2. The VTX or the Mean Streak. Which one is better?
~~~2000 GXSR 750~~~
~~~2005 VTX 1300C~~~
Dr. Rod of Satan's Barbers MC

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#2 Unread post by ZooTech »

Another "which is better" question, huh? Well, only you can decide that based on your wants and needs and your physical dimensions. You can start with the following two comparos, then go sit on both:

http://motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/Twins02/

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_P ... 221&Page=1

I can help you with any Mean Streak questions, and Venarius has an '03 VTX1800 so fire off a PM to him for any questions about that bike.

Good luck!

rodzbike
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by rodzbike »

As far as the mean streak goes, have you had any problems or is there alot of maintainence that needs to be done, (any more than normal)?
~~~2000 GXSR 750~~~
~~~2005 VTX 1300C~~~

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#4 Unread post by ZooTech »

I have ~13,000 miles on mine and have had nothing whatsoever go wrong with it. I use Mobil-1 synthetic (10w40) and change the oil twice a year. The drive shaft splines and joints need to be greased each time the rear tire is replaced, but that's really easy to do. The swingarm is supposed to be serviced at the same interval, but if you install a zerk fitting on it as per these instructions then all you'll have to do from then on out is hit it with a grease gun during each oil change. Both bikes are shaft-driven and water-cooled, so maintenance should be similar.

The more reviews you read, the more evident it will become that the VTX1800 flat out has more power. However, what led me to purchase the Mean Streak was its superior handling and braking. It's easier to improve engine performance than overcome chassis and braking deficiencies, and handling was a big thing for me coming off a sport bike. I had a chance to buy an '03 VTX1800 brand new for just $8,000.00 but passed it up due to the first review I posted and having sat on one to experience the weight for myself. That is not to say the VTX1800 is a bad bike, because to say so would be ludicrous. I'd be proud to have one in the garage right now but, for me, I think I made the right choice with this bike.

grampi
Veteran
Veteran

#5 Unread post by grampi »

zooman, did you get that mag back from your bro-in-law yet?
Last edited by grampi on Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#6 Unread post by Sev »

I'd take better handling and braking over more power any day. And I know Zootech knows his stuff about these bikes. I'd go with his word on it myself.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#7 Unread post by ZooTech »

grampi wrote:zooman, did you get that mag back from your bro-in-law yet?
I'm goin' over to my folks' house to install some Hellwig tractions springs on my truck tomorrow, and my bro-in-law's house is right around the corner, so I'll drop by and grab it if they're home. I need to install a video card in my sister's computer anyway.

Venarius
Elite
Elite

#8 Unread post by Venarius »

Their both great bikes, it all comes down to what your going to want from it.

mean streak has more corner clearance, a lot more so than the VTX (in the cruiser world, even the lowliest of sporty's would put both to shame).

But the VTX has more power (but weighs more) and a larger cockpit...

Unfortunately I don't know too much bout the mean streak, but if you have any questions at all bout the VTX, just let me know.

Obviously, my choice was the VTX, so theirs my vote.

rodzbike
Elite
Elite

#9 Unread post by rodzbike »

Ok guys...I went with the VTX 1300C. Thanks again for all the input.
~~~2000 GXSR 750~~~
~~~2005 VTX 1300C~~~

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#10 Unread post by ZooTech »

rodzbike wrote:Ok guys...I went with the VTX 1300C. Thanks again for all the input.
Very good choice! One of the reviews I read where the folks rode both the 1300 and 1800 at the same time touted the 1300 as the better ride due to lighter weight and better handling. Post some pics when you get a chance!