Advice needed on buying a Hugger

JenM
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

Advice needed on buying a Hugger

#1 Unread post by JenM »

Hi Everyone! I haven't been on this forum in months - being winter and all. But spring is almost here and my thoughts have turned towards biking again! Yippee!

I currently have a 1986 Honda Nighthawk 450 (my avatar pic). It's a good bike, but it's not what I want. It's also a tad too tall for me, and I can't see putting the money into having it lowered when it was considered a "temporary" bike from the start. It was my learner bike. Although I do enjoy riding it, it has never really felt "right" for me. I feel too wobbly on it, possibly due to the height.

I desperately want a Harley. Just one of those things...it's a Harley thing! I've been looking and have decided I want a XLH883, or a Hugger as they're called. I can't afford a new one, and wouldn't pay the price even if I could. I have found a gorgeous used one, it's a 1994 model with 24,000 miles on it and the price is definitely right.

I have been getting conflicting advice from all of my guy friends. Some say the Hugger would be perfect for me, some say it'd be too small. Some are telling me not to waste my money on the 883 and that I should go for the 1200. But I don't really care much about power; I am a very conservative rider and don't enjoy getting fast and crazy on bikes.

Does anyone else here ride a 883? If so, I'd appreciate any reviews or advice. I am 5'7", weigh 215 lbs, have a big rear end and thighs :P I like the Sportsters because the center of gravity is low to the ground. However, I have never ridden one.

The bike I have found is online, in Chicago about 4 hours away from me. I called about it yesterday and mentioned that I was wondering how I would test drive it in 30º weather, and the salesman informed me that they do not allow any of thier bikes to be test driven except by one of their mechanics. Is this the norm? I said, "Well how would I know if I like it or not?" He said, "You'll just have to come look at it and sit on it and check it out." That worries me a bit. I mean sure, I could sit on it, but that's much different than seeing how it handles.

So what do you all think?

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#2 Unread post by Sev »

The 883 is a great bike as Harly's go, and if memory serves you can get an engine kit or something like that to upgrade it to a 1200 down the road. If you like the way it looks and if you really want it take the drive and sit on it at least, see how it feels. And make sure you get them to fire it up, then get someone to ride it around to prove that it works. See if they'll offer a warranty on their work or something as well.

Be sure to check for all the normal stuff that it was crashed.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

Re: Advice needed on buying a Hugger

#3 Unread post by ZooTech »

JenM wrote:I like the Sportsters because the center of gravity is low to the ground. However, I have never ridden one.
The Sportster's COG is not even remotely low to the ground, and your statement about never having ridden one conflicts with your belief that it is. My best friend has a '98 883 which I lowered 2" in the rear, and my 700+ pound Mean Streak is far better balanced and easier to handle than his bike.

If you've got your mind set on a Harley, the Sportster sounds like the best fit for you. But you need to know what to expect and it sounds like you don't.

mustangski
Elite
Elite

#4 Unread post by mustangski »

I have an 883 sportster with the upgrade kit making it a 1200. I would say go with the 883, the bike is a lot cheaper then the 1200 and it only costs roughly $1000.00 parts/labor to have the upgrade installed. If the bike is at a dealer don't expect them to let you ride it. They will start it for you and let you sit on it. I started on a Magna 700, and after a while I too had the same feeling. I wanted a v-twin, and am very happy with the sportster. The ride and looks are incredible. In the end it all comes down to what you like. Although I will tell you to try and find one to purchase from a person rather than a dealer, you could probably get it cheaper. Good luck.
2001 Victory V92C
2002 Honda Shadow 600 (Finally gettin my wife ridin!)
2000 Harley Davidson Sportster (Sold)
1984 Honda Magna V45 (Sold)

Semper Fidelis

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#5 Unread post by Sev »

It's low compared to her current ride. Any cruiser has a low CoG compared to a standard.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

MikeyDude
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by MikeyDude »

Is the Sportster be considered a cruiser? I thought it was a standard.
~ It's not the quantity of miles -- It's the quality of the ride ~

JenM
Regular
Regular

Re: Advice needed on buying a Hugger

#7 Unread post by JenM »

ZooTech wrote: The Sportster's COG is not even remotely low to the ground, and your statement about never having ridden one conflicts with your belief that it is.
I am just going on what I've read and what I've been told, and everything I've found has said just that. I've seen them in person and they definitely sit lower than my Hawk.

I will definitely sit on it, probably for a long time, before deciding on buying it or not.
As for the comment about trying to find one to buy from an individual...I've looked and looked. Around here, Harleys are BIG, and they get high dollar for them - hence my willingness to drive 200 miles to buy this one. I've been told by numerous people, "if you are going to buy a Harley, get out of this area because you'll pay more around here." I've seen Huggers around here, not nearly as nice as the one I'm considering, and they are asking $1000-$2000 more.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I truly appreciate it.

paul246
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#8 Unread post by paul246 »

The one you are looking at, a '94 model, is of the old evolution paintshaker variety, whereas the last couple of years have had the more comfortable evolution engined rubber mounted variety. Just so you are aware of that point. Obviously you are set on a Harley so I won't bother mentioning other low rider cruisers that are available. Good luck. One other point, what somebody is asking for their bike can be totally different to what they they will accept when you make a hard offer. Happens all the time. Every guy that I know that bought a used Harley always brags about what a good deal he got it for. :wink:
There is no such thing as a bad motorcycle.

Honda XR650L Dual-Sport

canuckerjay
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#9 Unread post by canuckerjay »

Always thought that bike was more of a standard, with a high centre of gravity; from what I've read
Wherever you may roam
May you own your road.

paul246
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#10 Unread post by paul246 »

canuckerjay wrote:Always thought that bike was more of a standard, with a high centre of gravity; from what I've read
I agree, it is definately a standard, high center of gravity, but with a lower seat. I may be wrong but I think the "hugger" comes from the factory slightly lowered than what the other Sportsters are. But, it is still a higher C of G than many low rider cruisers such as the V-Star 1100.
There is no such thing as a bad motorcycle.

Honda XR650L Dual-Sport