Went to visit my Kawasaki dealer today!

Papa Bear
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

Went to visit my Kawasaki dealer today!

#1 Unread post by Papa Bear »

I have an old Honda XL 250 that I'm quite partial to, but the old girl is getting pretty tired and parts are getting scarce. :(

So I've been surfing around, looking at what's available to replace it with. So today I went and looked at the Kawy's. The KLR has always been right up there on the list but I had never sat on one before. The same with the KLX. While they are both nice bikes with loads of great features, I find them both way too tall and the KLR just too bulky after the XL. I like the Super Sherpa, but it seems to have been built ( seat to pegs ) for small people. :|

So the search continues. I would like to have a look at Yamaha's 225 enduro but the local dealers never seem to have them in stock :?

Oh well it was nice to get out and see all those shiny new bikes anyway! :D

Papa Bear

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

#2 Unread post by Gadjet »

The KLR can be lowered easily enough.

I had mine lowered by the dealership using Dual Star lowering links before I picked it up. Not sure how much it dropped the seat height by, but with my 30" inseam and my riding boots on I have no problems getting on and off the bike and keeping both feet on the ground.
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc

Papa Bear
Regular
Regular

#3 Unread post by Papa Bear »

Thanks Gadjet, next time I'm in their location ( they're an hour from me ) I'm going to stop and ask them about it. It's funny the salesperson never once mentioned lowering them to me!

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

#4 Unread post by Gadjet »

for a really good source of info on the KLR (both 650 and 250) check out the KLR Forums.

here's a few other good sources of aftermarket/stock parts and accessories for the KLR:

Arrowhead Motorsports
Dual Star
Marknet
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc

Papa Bear
Regular
Regular

#5 Unread post by Papa Bear »

Thanks Gadjet!

Bogey
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by Bogey »

WOW, XL 250, that takes me back...bought mine brand new in 1972!!!!! LOL, of course it's long went by the wayside...I now have a KLX 400SR that I needed to order koubal links for to lower it for my 29" inseam :oops: Sure took care of the problem.
Dare to be different

Papa Bear
Regular
Regular

#7 Unread post by Papa Bear »

My XL is a 1980 and I bought it one year old with 600 kilometers on it. The guy had bought it and rode it for about a week, then dropped it and scared himself so bad he put it in his basement until I bought it the following spring. I really wish I could just buy a new one it's been that good of a bike!

Bogey
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by Bogey »

I'll second that! I rode the snot out of that bike. We used to take 300 mile STREET rides with it, then pull the mirrors/lights off and desert race em!!! :oops: Other than my trials bike, it also wheelied better than any bike I ever had...uh, well, maybe that's because I was younger then... :oops:
Dare to be different