Kawasaki Ninja 500R Review Request

safety-boy
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male

Kawasaki Ninja 500R Review Request

#1 Unread post by safety-boy »

Hello all,

The wife is looking for a street bike to replace her Suz Blvd S40 (single cyl, 650cc). She wants better acceleration at highway speeds and the manueverability of a street bike.

The major limitation has been her height. Four bikes, thus far, have been suitable.

1. Kawa Ninja 250 (she is not interested in this!)
2. A lowered '05 Triumph Speed Four
3. The baby Ducati Dark (620cc?)
4. The Kawa Ninja 500R

I am pushing toward the Ninja 500, because of the EX500 engine - I have an old EN450 (1986, baby!) that runs like crazy, and I gather the EX500 is basically the same as the EN500, which is in turn very like the EN450.

Now, this might mean I am thinking durability over rider desires :-)

Wondering if anyone has experience with the Ninja 500R. My EN450 is a bullet stop-light to stop-light, but at highway speeds acceleration potential is low. Is the Ninja more capable at highway speeds? Or are the Triumph or Ducati better ways for her to go?

Thanks,
Dave
Don't think of it as a stop light. Think of it as a chance-to-show-off light.

Vulcan 900 Classic LT (2007)
Ninja ZX-6R (2006)
Ninja 500-R (2004)
454 Ltd. (1986)
Boulevard S-40 (2005)

scan
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

#2 Unread post by scan »

My two-cents says that your thinking about the Kawasaki is good logic. Do you have a good dealer network for Ducs and Triumphs? That might make a bit of a difference. I wouldn't want to be out of riding range of a dealer that can support my bike well from the factory. Also, Triumph quit making that 4 now, and they didn't make it for real long. I'm just thinking out loud here. So, for my money, the Duc and the Triumph would always make me feel a little more hesitant, where the Japanese bike will always be easy to take care of, has a track record, and will always have a network of dealers nearby. On the other hand, you may have buckets of money, and want to buy what feels the most sexy. I'd go for the Ducati if that's you.
* 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R *
"What good fortune for those of us in power that people do not think. " Hitler - think about that one for a minute.

mcmahonm
Regular
Regular

my 500 experience

#3 Unread post by mcmahonm »

I have just replace my Ninja 500, I loved the bike it was quick enough for me even getting on the highway. Great in town around taffic and was reliable as hell.

Also the price was really good in comparsion for what you got.

I would recommend it to anyone who want a smaller, quick little bike.
2006 Suzuki Katana 600

safety-boy
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

Thanks for the replies.

#4 Unread post by safety-boy »

Thanks for the replies:

scanevalexec - great bike. Right now, the only bike I am truly interested in is the Z-ReX... but my 454 Ltd. keeps me happy :-) Although... there is a '75 Z1 900... http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/3/6/82943236.htm

We have a Ducati and a Triumph dealer in town, not sure how their service dept are. The Speed Four is a weird bike... Why they make it and the Daytona is beyond me...

mcmahonm - what did you move up to? Did the Ninja get to be too little bike for you? Her 650 can move, but it is a single cylinder. Not a great on acceleration, but climbs a hill like a mule! She doesn't want to go down performance-wise.

I figure she'll have to take them for a spin, but I'd rather pay for a Kawa than most anything... I doubt that extra two-grand for the Tri or Duc gets you much besides the odd-ball factor :-)

--David

Ninja ZX-6R (2006)
Ninja 500-R (2004)
454 Ltd. (1986)
Boulevard S-40 (2005)

scan
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Re: Thanks for the replies.

#5 Unread post by scan »

safety-boy wrote: scanevalexec - great bike. Right now, the only bike I am truly interested in is the Z-ReX... but my 454 Ltd. keeps me happy :-) Although... there is a '75 Z1 900... http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/3/6/82943236.htm

--David
I love my bike. Gobs of power and fun. Right now it is everything I need, except I wouldn't mind hard bags and some wind protection. I may downgrade to a Concours myself to meet those needs, but that is a year or so out.

All I can say about that Z1 you linked there is WOW. I'd love an older standard like that, and that is the great grandfather of the ZRX for sure.

Good luck with your wife's purchase. I doubt she'd be disappointed by the power and ability of the 500.
* 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R *
"What good fortune for those of us in power that people do not think. " Hitler - think about that one for a minute.

safety-boy
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

How about this oldie!

#6 Unread post by safety-boy »

A '72 750cc Triple

http://www.cycletrader.com/addetail.html?82839188

$2500 is a bit much for a bike that won't stand on it's own :roll: but it is a looker!

--Dave

Ninja ZX-6R (2006)
Ninja 500-R (2004)
454 Ltd. (1986)
Boulevard S-40 (2005)

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by Sev »

I went from that bike to a Honda 599, I have ZERO regrets, though I loved both bikes for what they were. Maybe have her give that a shot.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]