What is your opinion of this ? :?

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Are you looking to buy it or are wondering if it would work or selling it?

Mike.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

ironmaiden
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by ironmaiden »

Was wondering if this would actually work? :?

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

ironmaiden wrote:Was wondering if this would actually work? :?
I read all about it and I'm not sure myself. It looks like it create a counter-rotational (gyroscopic) force on the front wheel... but since a motorcycle NEEDS the gyroscopic force to keep it stable at speed I think:

A. The motorcycle would be less stable upright using this device, BUT would fall into turns and turn faster because of that effect.

B. Unless you are riding curves more than straight roads you don't want it.

C. Definately not for new and newer riders as they need all the gyroscopic forces they can get to help them keep the bike stable.

Also I noticed the brake rotor is moving backwards, I guess that would mean your brake pads would be stopping you in "reverse" rathan than forward... As the manufacturers have designed the braking system and forks for forward braking force I'm not sure how this would effect the "reverse braking" situation either.

It reminds me of the time I ordered 4 glow spark plug caps that litup when current went though the wire to the spark plug. They looked really neat and all, but the loss of voltage made the engine run and start poorly. Ah, good idea but just not practical. :(

Mike.

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

ironmaiden
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by ironmaiden »

I love finding new designs & technology for motorcycles. Sometimes the tried and tested parts will always work best but now and then someone takes a chance and amazingly enough it works! Just think about the upsidedown forks on the 2006 Honda Blade. Not only does this look cool but they actually work great too!

I found this reverse rotating rotor very interesting in theory, but also thought that stability might be compromised. (They claim to have tested it, but I wonder how extensive the testing actually was) In a purely racing application you would be negotiating curves on a track more than straights so it could give the experienced rider an advantage if it does work. If it is such a great development, I suppose the question is why haven't the GP mechanics developed something similar?

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#6 Unread post by BuzZz »

Too many moving parts to be a serious choice for race teams. Eats power that should be used for propulsion and increases chances of something breaking during a race.

On the street, I doubt the benefits would outweigh the drawbacks as far as stability vs cornering ease.....
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

jflashg03
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by jflashg03 »

i gave the site a fair chance and read through much of it, however, it was apparant quite early to me that the person writing it is a bit ignorant to the theories of gyroscopic movement as well as to how it applies to the stability and stearing of a bike. whether or not this "invention" would truely work i do not know; i havent put much thought into it, however, i wouldnt assume it plausible having read so many incorrect explanations.
It is generally true that stability(that magic force that keeps the bike up all on its own) and control(the ability you have as a rider to lean the bike over) are inversely proportional to one another. meaning that if you increase one, you proportionally decrease the other. I dont see why you would want to decrease the stability of a modern roadbike (stability maintains a comfortable ride) or increase the control of an already "flickable" racebike (making it way dangerous). ive said enough already... you get my idea

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

jflashg03 wrote:...ive said enough already... you get my idea
I agree with your analysis. I can't see it either how two counter moving forces can produce the desired positive effects they are looking to achieve there.

Mike.

camthepyro
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#9 Unread post by camthepyro »

It just seems unneccesary to me. Tank slappers are rare, and when they happen on the street, it's usually because someone is doing something that's not safe to begin with.
Member of DWPOMD and RATUBBAW

'80 Suzuki GS 450
'00 Kawasaki ZR7 ( Sold 09/08 )
'82 Honda Nighthawk 450 ( Sold 02/07 )

[url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=10838]My bloggy thingy[/url]