Toyuzu
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 15
My Motorcycle: 1981 Honda CX 500 Custom

HJC Look CS 12 helmet.

#1 Unread post by Toyuzu »

It's a bargain helmet, a cheap lid. And it saved my aching head. I bought my bike just over a month ago, and a KBC TK7 full-face halmet along with it, size large. I quickly realized that the KBC was not designed for my head shape.

After about 30 minutes of riding, a dull ache would begin at the top of my forehead, and get progressively worse until I had to stop and get the thing off for a while. I always had a mean-looking red mark there after riding.

So I decided a new lid was in order. I'm on a tight budget though, so Shoei, Arai, and Suomy are obviously not an option.

Some of you know I'm a returning rider, having logged somewhere north of 15K miles on three bikes prior to my current ride after a 6-year hiatus. I had an HJC helmet back then, and it worked very well for the shape of my head. I also know that HJC offers much more affordable helmets than much of their competition, so I began looking at their current models.

I found one that feels like a pillow wrapped around my head compared to that KBC for mere pennies! The difference is unbelievable. This helmet is quieter, softer, lighter...heck, I hardly even know it's there! I can now ride as long as I want without having to stop and rest my aching melon, and I like the way it looks, too.

Here's a pic of the color scheme I bought:

I paid just over $100.00, and that included a cargo-net to carry home that old KBC on the pillion.
[i]Only the dead have seen the end of war. (Plato)[/i]

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

#2 Unread post by Gadjet »

sounds good. I also have an HJC, a CS-10, and I agree that the HJC helmets are comfortable and affordable. My CS-10 was only $150CAD. I wish it was a little quieter though, so I may be shopping for a new helmet in the near future. I'll keep that one in mind.
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc

Vulcan500rider
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by Vulcan500rider »

I have both a CS-12 (my first helmet, now used by my g/f) and a CL-14. Of the two, given how close the two are in price--especially if you check somewhere like newenough.com for the closeouts when they are dropped a particular paint scheme--I'd go for the CL-14. The venting is a bit better, the cheek pieces can be removed, and the visor comes out quicker (though that's not an issue for me, personally). Just my .02. I totally agree about comfort, though. I love my HJCs for that!

sappsTTer
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by sappsTTer »

How are the wind noises in these helmets?
-1984 Honda Sabre VF700s

Toyuzu
Years Riding: 15
My Motorcycle: 1981 Honda CX 500 Custom

#5 Unread post by Toyuzu »

Sapps, It's a lot quieter than the KBC I had before. I've never used a high-end helmet, though I'm sure they would be quieter yet. For the price, It's hard to beat an HJC in my opinion.
[i]Only the dead have seen the end of war. (Plato)[/i]

oldnslo
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model1983 Yamaha Seca 900

#6 Unread post by oldnslo »

I have used several levels of helmets, and presently use an Arai RX7, which was the best Arai had to offer. What you get for many hundreds of dollars is the required excellent fit, if your head is shaped right, of course, removable padding which can be tossed into the washing machine for cleaning, and a very quiet environment. The other brands are always trying to shoot for the quality of Arai and Shoei, and no doubt some are getting very close, and for a lot less money. It all comes down to trying them on for fit, reading comparos, which come out every couple years in at least one of the magazines, and the gamble of actually buying. I think all of them, cheap and expensive, are required to meet Dot and/or Snell safety standards, so theoretically, they offer the same protection. I just can't sell myself on the $50 helmets in the JC Whitney catalog, though.
John
"83 XJ900RK

IT'S ABOUT OIL, MONEY, AND POWER, ALL OF THE TIME.

ronboskz650sr
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#7 Unread post by ronboskz650sr »

Yesterday I bought a cs10 for $85. The dark smoke lens was $21 more. My old helmet was a flip face (modular) Fulmer, and the new HJC is dramatically quieter than that one. I wear earplugs anyway, but now I don't need to around town..there's that much difference. I have to wear my contact lenses with the HJC, but the fit is really much better, and more like my Flying helmet from the Air Force days, so I feel better protected. I got the Yellow/silver/black scheme.Image
Last edited by ronboskz650sr on Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ride safe...God bless!
-Ron
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/ronboskz650sr/avatartotal.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/ronboskz650sr/wholebikeavatar2.jpg[/img]

oldnslo
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model1983 Yamaha Seca 900

#8 Unread post by oldnslo »

Fulmer seems to be at or near the bottom of the helmet pecking order in comparison testing in the last ten years or so, so your new hat must feel wonderful by comparison. A proper fitting and quiet helmet should be forgotten while you wear it, so you can focus more on the ride itself.
John
"83 XJ900RK

IT'S ABOUT OIL, MONEY, AND POWER, ALL OF THE TIME.

ronboskz650sr
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#9 Unread post by ronboskz650sr »

You said it John! The density of the foam is so much higher in the hjc, and the firm fit really reminds me of my custom-poured flying helmet. I bought the fulmer so I could try it on, and wear my glasses, but I've decided it isn't worth the risk anymore...full face for me...I'll just discipline myself to put the contacts in for every ride. I'm glad I found this one locally.
Ride safe...God bless!
-Ron
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/ronboskz650sr/avatartotal.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/ronboskz650sr/wholebikeavatar2.jpg[/img]

fzfile
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by fzfile »

Being a newbie and borrowing a freinds helmet (which was too loose fitting really) my rommate and I both just each ordered a CL14 with an extra tinted shield.

I had tried a CL14 from the same friend who was letting me borrow his older helmet (the one thats too loose) and absolutely could not believe the difference.

WAY more comfortable and much, much quieter ..... and perhaps even more importantly .... I FEEL way more protected.

Glad to see other folks giving good remarks for the HJC's.

-mike
Learning the Zen ....or to Zen .... or maybe about Zen.