UndertakerMTS Motorcycle Trailing System

flipside73
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

UndertakerMTS Motorcycle Trailing System

#1 Unread post by flipside73 »

I do a little product testing here and there.. and ran across this product... after a few inquiries, Hank Graham, one of the designers, sent me a demo for product testing and review.

I may just have to throw up an add for my old motorcycle trailer.. and sell a couple of these as a rep (yes, they have a dealer system in place, i think)

First thing off... This thing kicks butt:
  • -The packaging this came in is the coolest i have seen for any product. The UPS delivery guy was completely confused this time.
    -It's really light. Without the coffin, it's hitting in at about 28 lbs with all of the accessory straps.
    -It's super compact. It will fit behind any standard truck bench seat. It fits in the trunk of any domestic or foreign car (depending on where you are from).
    -The construction is more than adequate for carrying any motorcycle with a front weight of less than 1000 lbs.
    -It presumably works with any type of motorcycle. The company seems to target he cruiser market more than the rest.
    -It takes about 3-5 minutes to go from "broke-down-bike" to ready for towing to shop.
    -The instructions are not completely graphic.. they look like they were home-printer done.. But, as with any good tinkerer, you'll find it's really a no brainer in less than 5 minutes.
Here's a picture off of the website:

My bike is a monster s4r (ducati for those who have heard not ;)... figured it could be the first little piggy to try this UndertakerMTS thing out.

It took me a couple of minutes to slide it into the truck hitch and crank down the "cradle" thing to street level. The front tire rolled in, left the kickstand down, and then strapped the wheel strap in place....

Hooked up the handlebar straps and set them underneath the bumper on the truck...
...Tightened those bumper straps up evenly... and then cranked the thing off of the ground.
Now, everything looked good. Time to see if it lives up.

I took the bike for a little spin around the block... Here in Colorado, in the "urban areas" we don't have typical street blocks... A block up here consists of a dirt road which leads to the next neighbors house.

2 Blocks, 2 neighbors...

Well, as it turns out.. the UndertakerMTS performed without a single flaw.

Bumpy dirt roads, washouts, and any other obstacles that would have made a trailer's bolts rattle out, were taken in stride.

....soooooo, we decided to undertake the UndertakerMTS upon the underfunded Colorado highways. While these are similar to the urban street blocks, they are far more heavily traveled and riddled with more complicated obstacles.

Not only did the UndertakerMTS surprise me with handling (I was constantly looking back to make sure I wasn't dragging a $10K bike on it's side), it used considerably less gas than multiple tires. They mentioned this on their website.. but I figured, how much could it really save?

About 45 mi. later, it was in good measure to stop at a friends house and see what he thought of the UndertakerMTS.

This part is censored. He thought it was the coolest ******* thing he had ever seen. After making offers for it on the spot ;) we decided to throw his Harley fatboy in the setup.

Unloading bikes are just as fast (if not faster) as loading. We rolled his front tire in and did the A,B,C,D to hook up, and were rolling... We towed it down to the car wash.. and had it washed. Washed while it was still hooked up.

This thing is getting more appealing everytime someone sees it. It's a shame to send it back (hell, they paid for the shipping back too!)

Needless to say, the application for this thing is awesome. Rental companies, moving companies, bike shows, racetracks, and the garage mechanic... They all have something to gain from what could come of this evolution..

You'll probably be as surprised as I was, It's one of the few products that lives up to what it's expected to do.

Still can't get over that coffin thing it came shipped in.

There may even be some way to use that thing in the future too :D [/i][/b]

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#2 Unread post by Sev »

Do I need to disconnect my final drive? I understand that if the final drive is connected and the back wheel is spinning this'll turn the engine, but it wouldn't be lubed, because the oil only gets going when the engine is actually operating?

This sounds like a pretty good way to wreck my engine.

Oh yeah, did I mention we have pretty strict rules about advertising on the site... which is to say, the mods usually come through and leave a post something along the lines of, please see our advertising rates, if you wish to advertise your product on our website.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

flipside73
Rookie
Rookie

Final Drive...

#3 Unread post by flipside73 »

Sorry, I don't know. It gets tested with what I have to test it with. All of the bikes we used were chain or belt.

...Soooo, it's probably best to either check on the website or look into your manufacturer's archives for something related.

If it appears that this post is considered advertising, I apologize. It is not my product, nor do I have any affiliation with the company regarding their advertising venue. Numerous products have gone through my testing grounds. Some get good ratings, others, well, less fortunate.

Because of an aggressive policy concerning product evaluation, and the continual recent additions of motorcycle accessories to our testing arena, there will probably be posts related to other products in the near future. Whether they are within this domain or not does not change the opportunity for me to evaluate and create a "heads-up" for others prior to making a buying decision.

It is, of course, at your discretion to remove or limit the content of this post if it renders itself outside of your TOS or AUP.

On the bright side, this article is one of many which will not be garnering any money for it's critique. Not to say it is a personal endorsement, but rather a courtesy based on testing experience. :wink:

CentralOzzy
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 42
My Motorcycle: Yamaha XJR-1300/Harley-Davidson Roadking

#4 Unread post by CentralOzzy »

I like the concept & the fact that you don't have to lift the Bike up on....anything is a plus.

Now if you have to, with one of these devices you could rescue yourself! (No friends needed) :wink:

TimeWarp
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by TimeWarp »

CentralOzzy wrote:Now if you have to, with one of these devices you could rescue yourself! (No friends needed) :wink:

Good for those who have none.
Bob
C50
---------
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.