yoda731
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male

Recommended: Gator Grip Universal Socket

#1 Unread post by yoda731 »

Hey, folks. Anybody else used this:

http://www.endeavorproducts.com/ggrip/etc120.html

The long and short is that it is a universal socket for SAE & Metric from 1/4"/7mm to 3/4"/19mm. It claims that it works on other fasteners as well (like wingnuts). I guess there is an infomercial about, but I haven't seen it. I just grabbed it at Wal-Mart for $10 instead of paying $4 for a single 12mm socket I had to replace. And the GatorGrip works pretty darned well.

For the past couple of days putzing around with my new bike, I have been able to use this socket almost exclusively. I've used it to put my back wheel back on, including tightening the axle bolt with a torque wrench (it gripped successfully up to 25 ft-lb), my oil plug and filter, my final drive oil plug and filling bolt...

It sometimes takes a few seconds of wiggling it to get it to grab, but it seems to be well worth the $10.

JC
'81 Honda CX500 Custom

Get busy living or get busy dying. That's G-d-d-mned right.

keysman
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#2 Unread post by keysman »

I saw that infomercial some time ago and I was at least a little interested. Interested enough to remember seeing the infomercial. It's great that you can get it at a store rather than "Only available thought this exclusive TV offer!" :laughing:

Thanks for the review.
New Hotness: 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
Old & Busted: 2003 BMW F650CS

rodzbike
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by rodzbike »

I found one of those at a swap meet really cheap. Picked it up and it's great, no probs with it at all.
~~~2000 GXSR 750~~~
~~~2005 VTX 1300C~~~
Dr. Rod of Satan's Barbers MC

yoda731
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

Other sizes...

#4 Unread post by yoda731 »

I just looked more at the website I provided the link for. You can see a long list of retail stores like Ace Hardware and Wal-Mart that are supposed to stock them.

The site also indicates a larger socket, for sizes 7/16"/12mm to 1.25"/32mm hex. If I see one of these, I will definitely grab. Its a lot easier to carry two sockets in the saddle bag than a dozen or so...

JC
'81 Honda CX500 Custom

Get busy living or get busy dying. That's G-d-d-mned right.