Battery Charger Question?

BigChickenStrips
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male

Battery Charger Question?

#1 Unread post by BigChickenStrips »

I just bought a Kawi Ninja 250R. before i left the dealer, the owner told me i should get a battery charger, and only hook it up for 20 minutes a day every day. i just agreed with him?

i was wonderign if anyone can tell me why i shouldnt just hook the charger up all the time when im not riding the bike? also, are any chargers better or worse? i think i want the kind the has wires that mount to the battery and have a little plug the sticks out of the bike so i can plug and unplug without removign the seat every time.

i am a total newbie and dont completely understand why/when/how to charge the bike. if anyone could give me some info, i tried to do a search but didnt fnd much.

Thanks in advance.
[b]Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency! [/b]

JCS
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#2 Unread post by JCS »

Battery Tender.

This unit will take care of your needs.
I would be the old, slow guy. Just let me know where you are going and I'll try to get there before you leave.

MotoF150
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#3 Unread post by MotoF150 »

a battery tender will work, never charge any motorcycle battery with a charger more than 2 amps, if everything is working properly, you shouldn't have to charge ur battery, unless you leave ur bike sitting and not riding it for long periods of time, test the battery with a volt or load tester, check the charging system of the bike, make sure its charging, test with a volt meter, also check and make sure something in ur bike isn't using power from ur battery when the bike isn't running causing the battery to drain, if you have a volt meter you can test that with a parictic load test, if you don't you can use a cheap test light, remove the neg battery terminal from the battery, hook up the test light in a series and if it lights up bright something in ur bike is using power and drainning the battery, you know you may have a digital guage that has a clock and memory that uses constant power all the time, this will cause the test light to light up very dim. Im thinking you may have a bad battery, im lucky if I get 2 years from a battery.
2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 09 Yamaha Tmax, 08 Suzuki King Quad 750

BigChickenStrips
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#4 Unread post by BigChickenStrips »

i got a battery tender Jr from cyclegear and hookked it up. it seems to work... motorcycle batteries are weird as hell though. whats with the little blocks with the threads instead of having the threads straight on the battery its self?
[b]Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency! [/b]