Nolan N-102

sharpmagna
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male

Nolan N-102

#1 Unread post by sharpmagna »

Well first I should tell you that I'm brand new to motorcycling and this is my first helmet. With that being said, I really like my Nolan helmet. At first I was not looking at purchasing a Modular helmet, but instead wanted a full face. Well after looking at the N-102 at the local shop I figured I'd get a really nice helmet for my first one. Since it is designed to save my life, I might as well enjoy the features.

The latcheting system is very easy to use once you know how. At first I could not figure out how to flip open the helmet. After looking at it for a few seconds I figured you had to pinch the red componenets together and that opens the helmet. I can see how this would be very difficult to open by accident, but I can easily flip it open with one hand.

I like the quick release chin strap. I tried other helmets and found it annoying to have to buckle and strap the chin straps. The N-102 has an adjustable quick release retention system and it works very well for me now that I have it adjusted to my liking. Also it is very easy to adjust.

One of the big things I love about the helmet is what Nolan calls the VPS or Vision Protection System. It is essentially a tinted shield that goes over the regular face shield. It operates independently of the regular shield. It comes in handy all the time as sometimes it is very sunny and I can flip down the VPS when needed and then flip it back up whenI go through a dimmer area. I've never had a problem with it mistakenly flipping down. Also, it is kind of nifty when you are cruising with the VPS down and a bug splatters on the VPS and obscures your vision. You can quickly flip it up and see clearly again. The N-102 comes with some pieces in case you do not want to use the VPS (But why wouldn't you!)

Also the regular faceshield comes with a second layer of fog protection. It is hard to describe, but it essentially installs on the inside of the face shield. It adds a second layer but doesn't seem to optically distort our vision. I also paintball and having a second layer does help in anti-fogging. I've had light fotting right where my nose is but it has not gone further than that. The faceshield and VPS requires no tools to switch out also.

Venting seems to be adequate but I've only ridden in the spring so we'll see when the summer comes along.

The interior padding can be removed for washing.

Well that's the review. Again, I would definitely recommend the Nolan N-102 to anyone who would like a modular helmet. It costs more than a standard full face, but I think it is worth it to be able to flip it up and talk to a riding buddy without screaming at the top of your lungs. It cost me about $290 at a local shop, but you can probably find it cheaper online. I got the basic black option and I've added some reflective pin striping tape to increase visibility.

Easy Riding!

July
1987 Honda <B>SUPER</B> Magna
[i]Bikesexual - I like to ride it long and hard...[/i]

MotoF150
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#2 Unread post by MotoF150 »

Nolan is the best and the top of the line best helmet you can buy. I bought a el'cheapo M2R Modular Helmet for $79, I got it cause I chew snuff and I need to open it up to spit while im riding, but the problem I have is when I open it up going 60 mph the head wind almost ripped my head off and while im fighting to hold my head on my neck its impossible to close with one hand and even when closed the wind noise is worse than wearing no helmet at all. Im a big believer in wearing a helmet even when you don't have to I had many spills in the past where I know a helmet saved me, its good ur wearing one and you have the best.
2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 09 Yamaha Tmax, 08 Suzuki King Quad 750

BubbaGump
Legendary
Legendary

#3 Unread post by BubbaGump »

MotoF150 wrote:I got it cause I chew snuff and I need to open it up to spit while im riding, but the problem I have is when I open it up going 60 mph the head wind almost ripped my head off and while im fighting to hold my head on my neck.

Total comic genius - I love it! :laughing: :clapping:
Those of you who think you're cool annoy those of us who really are! 8)

Bachstrad37
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#4 Unread post by Bachstrad37 »

Hahaha....that's cool! I'll give you that one Moto.
2003 VN1500P Kawasaki Mean Streak
2009 Yamaha Nytro FX

sharpmagna
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#5 Unread post by sharpmagna »

Just don't spit upwind and you'll be fine :laughing:
1987 Honda <B>SUPER</B> Magna
[i]Bikesexual - I like to ride it long and hard...[/i]

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#6 Unread post by TechTMW »

I also own the 102 and will vouch for its excellent quality and innovation.

The above-mentioned anti-fog system works as advertised, and the VPS is really cool.

I purchesd the N-Com version of the N-102, and recently finished installing it - Basically, this is a version of the helmet that comes with an optional communications system - The Speakers mic, and all are built specifically for the helmet - No screwing around with clunky chatterbox crap - this thing is awesome! Since my Wife and I both have the same helmet, we can use the intercom feature to chat back and forth. Plus, I can connect it to my cellphone and all that good jazz... The 2 helmets cost about 500 Euro (~$600) and the oprional comms system was an extra ~150

That's an Awesome setup - 2 helmets with comms for just a bit over the price of a single Shoei!

“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

dieziege
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#7 Unread post by dieziege »

I've heard they have a bluetooth version available/coming out in Europe... that would be sweet....
Ride it like you think owning it matters.

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#8 Unread post by TechTMW »

They do have the bluetooth version available - and it would work great w/ my cellphone. I'm going to see how the intercom system works first (And make sure I like the setup) and THEN I'll spend the Dough on the bluetooth setup.

If you want to talk to the other person,. both helmets need the bluetooth reciever, and that's another $250 ... :|
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

MotoF150
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#9 Unread post by MotoF150 »

nobody around here sells Nolan helmets and I would never order one and pay for it without trying one on first. The only guys I see wearing a Nolan Helmet are the people that own Goldwings
2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 09 Yamaha Tmax, 08 Suzuki King Quad 750

bebbe3
Rookie
Rookie

www.hello-biker.com

#10 Unread post by bebbe3 »

Look at www.hello-biker.com as well! This is a product which seems to work with more or less any helmet and not only one brand and a couple of models. I tested it some months ago and it was really great. I was told by the manufacturer that it should be available in September in Europe. I suppose also in the US and Canada afterwards?? Good friends of mine bought the Nolan bluetooth system and they told me their mobile phones excluded the intercom function when they activated the hands free function.