chain degreaser/cleaning

sbcvulcan
Regular
Regular

chain degreaser/cleaning

#1 Unread post by sbcvulcan »

Need to clean up my chain, i have been neglectful. Any one have any specific recommendations on products and best techniques?

i do periodically spray the chain but i am terrible about cleaning it up

thanks

poppygene
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by poppygene »

If your chain is really nasty and has a removable master link, taking the chain off and soaking it in kerosene or preferably diesel is probably best.
If the chain is the fully-riveted type and you want to clean it on the bike, I like to use rags soaked in automatic transmission fluid. It does a better job on dissolving the gunk than you'd think and gets in between the plates well. It's good for the O-rings, too. After it's clean just remember to wipe the excess off with a clean, dry rag so it won't juice up the bodywork! :wink:

A buddy of mine has a "Moose Chain Scrubber" he seems to like. "Sludge Away" is supposed to be a good solvent but I haven't tried it.
Let me get this straight... it's one down and four up, right?

[img]http://img93.exs.cx/img93/7837/aread0hm.gif[/img]

nyrblue35
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#3 Unread post by nyrblue35 »

former owner for some reason used some sort of white lithium grease or similar on the chain although it called for oil. DUH!

i bought a small tough bristled detail brush. armed with that and a can of WD40, it was a piece of cake to clean. after that, just used PJ1 chain lube on it.
See my bike and accessories at
www.CruiserCustomizing.com/nyrblue35

huh
Elite
Elite

#4 Unread post by huh »

kerosene is the most common way. but does leave a residue on the chain which can keep the lube from getting in. but works well just wipe as much of as you can. its the best cheap method. you can a whole gallon for like 2.50$
and it works good as a descumer for under the bike. i pour some in a old squirt bottle.

as far as chain lube goes use a good chain lube or 90wt oil. if you dont mind the mess. using products such as wd-40, etc is not a good idea as it cant stand up to the shock loads imposed on it.

i like pj1 clear. all you need is a little of the right lube. no need to drench the chain as the excess will be just flung on your wheel and bike.
say what