Erg0n
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: 2007 Kawasaki 650R

Icon Field Armor Leg

#1 Unread post by Erg0n »

http://newenough.com/armor/elbow_should ... r_leg.html

How good are these? I was thinking of buying them so I don't have to always wear my riding pants
[size=59] A totality of numerous objects that coruscate or are refulgent are not necessarily composed entirely of auriferous substances.
[/size]

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#2 Unread post by HYPERR »

Did you ever get them? I have been interested in these as well. Paul's comments at newenough are usually right on. I measured my calves and they are only 15.5" so it should work in that regards. My caveat is that I have big thighs so I don't know if it will be too tight there. :frusty:

I have the Icon Super Duty pants which I like and wanted some extra knee protection also.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

#3 Unread post by flw »

That does bring up a good side point, I see many riders with boots, gloves, jackets, and helments but regular jeans (no draggon jeans).

In addition to skin loss, a bit of padding on/around the knee may make a lot of difference, depending on how you go down and end up at a stop. There's nothing to prevent everything but a little insurance is better than none for saftey.

[rant]
A extreme that always gets my attention is the person in shorts, tee shirt, gym shoes and the coolest $400 plus sunglasses. Sometimes this person comes with a passenger on the back dressed the same. I don't get taking someone elses life into your hands with little to no concern. :roll:
[rant over]
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#4 Unread post by storysunfolding »

I use these and really like them. However, the flex isn't that great and over the course of a few hours of walking or intense riding they start to slip down a little. It also adds a few minutes to your get ready time but if you wear looser jeans you can pull them up, put these on then roll them down on top quite nicely.

If I were to do it over again I'd get the Alpinestars Bionic Knee Guards. Pretty much the same price but easier to get on and a better hinge design. Though to be honest, the retention of the icon would probably hold up better in a crash.

I wear these when I wear jeans. Most of the trauma in m/c accidents comes from impact and knees are a high risk abrasion area. Throw in some padded shorts and you're set.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Thumper
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: '14 BMW F700GS

#5 Unread post by Thumper »

I'd be all over those if I didn't have freakishly huge calves...

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#6 Unread post by Brackstone »

All I think of when I see these is I remember all the times I used to play sports or go rollerblading when I was younger. What I remember is that after an hour those parts of my body got too warm and it just got uncomfortable/sweaty. Would be nice to know if these don't do that.
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#7 Unread post by storysunfolding »

I haven't had a problem with them getting nasty even on all day rides. The difference is that when riding I'm not working out and I get more breeze so I stay nice and sweat free.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#8 Unread post by Brackstone »

storysunfolding wrote:I haven't had a problem with them getting nasty even on all day rides. The difference is that when riding I'm not working out and I get more breeze so I stay nice and sweat free.
True,

I guess my fear is that I always seem to get stuck at traffic lights.
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)