Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

Pants under my Pants? (It's cold!)

#1 Unread post by Brackstone »

Hi All,

Well initially I was budgeting money towards getting an Autocom system now since the colder months are setting in I'm realizing staying warm might be much more important than listening to all of my 80's metal mix tapes ;)

I have a pair of motorcycle pants I love to wear. However they are made for the warmer months as they have lots of breathable layers. I was looking for something I could wear underneath it and I wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations?

As a side note hunting/trail riding/and other such outdoor activities are not too big in my neck of the woods. So there aren't too many local experts/shops I could go to so if anyone has any suggestions. If possible I'd appreciate any recommendations be something I could purchase online.
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#2 Unread post by ceemes »

Jeans or sweats?
Always ask why.

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: Pants under my Pants? (It's cold!)

#3 Unread post by jonnythan »

Brackstone wrote:Hi All,

Well initially I was budgeting money towards getting an Autocom system now since the colder months are setting in I'm realizing staying warm might be much more important than listening to all of my 80's metal mix tapes ;)

I have a pair of motorcycle pants I love to wear. However they are made for the warmer months as they have lots of breathable layers. I was looking for something I could wear underneath it and I wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations?

As a side note hunting/trail riding/and other such outdoor activities are not too big in my neck of the woods. So there aren't too many local experts/shops I could go to so if anyone has any suggestions. If possible I'd appreciate any recommendations be something I could purchase online.
Where in Jersey are you?

If you're anywhere near the northern half, stop by Campmor. They'll hook you up with some nice cheap fleece pants.

Wear those under some motorcycle overpants like these and you're golden in the pants department.

If you're not near the north, there will be an EMS near you. Go there. Or a Dick's or Sports Authority or whatever. They'll all have fleece pants.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/store ... &langId=-1
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#4 Unread post by Shorts »

If you don't mind wearing tights, I wear UnderArmour cold weather running tights under my Draggin's and I stay warm. A key to keeping your warm is to block the wind so that the chill does not break the material barriers (which I don't wear over pants yet cause I haven't shopped for any). Once you do that, your under layers should wick the sweat/moisture away from your skin so that you don't loose body heat through evaporation.

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#5 Unread post by High_Side »

Thermal underwear. It's not just for hillbillies any longer! And drop the $125 on a heated vest. When the core is warm, the rest of you is warmer (than it was).

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#6 Unread post by slimcolo »

Polypropelene long johns (expedition weight) work very good for cold, not wind. (avail. at Army surplus, sporting goods store, ski shop, or even Wally world in season) Or on the net try Camp more , Cheaper Than Dirt. An old snowmobile trick was to wear panty hose under long jons. Nylon long jons are now on the market so you don't have to look like a transvestite just to stay warm.

You would probably be better off with over pants though. (like a heavy duty rain suit) These will not offer much protection but will cut wind and cold quite well. Check local MC shop, Ski/ sno-board shop, Snowmobile dealership, also Army surplus and Super Wal Mart if you got one. Check also some of the Sport shops found in larger towns (50K+) many are also on line. (Sportsmans warehouse, Cabellas, Bass Pro Shops) Also if in a larger town find out when they have a sniagrab. Also if you have a Play it Again Sports.
SEE NO EVO
HEAR NO EVO
SPEAK NO EVO

and above all

RIDE NO EVO

Read my blog
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=22842

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#7 Unread post by Brackstone »

ceemes wrote:Jeans or sweats?
Hi Ceemes

I'm wearing Denim

These to be Particular
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/ ... Pants.aspx

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#8 Unread post by jonnythan »

Get some proper motorcycle overpants and wear some fleece pants under them. Happy happy.

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#9 Unread post by Brackstone »

jonnythan wrote: Where in Jersey are you?

If you're anywhere near the northern half, stop by Campmor. They'll hook you up with some nice cheap fleece pants.

Wear those under some motorcycle overpants like these and you're golden in the pants department.

If you're not near the north, there will be an EMS near you. Go there. Or a Dick's or Sports Authority or whatever. They'll all have fleece pants.

Wow I almost forgot about campmor. I havent' been there in years, I used to go camping all the time. It's pretty far away but that is still a good option.

I have pants that are pretty baggy, but they allow some air to travel though as well. So I was afraid fleece might not be enough and/or could absorb the moisture I sweat which I thought was bad?

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#10 Unread post by jonnythan »

Brackstone wrote:
jonnythan wrote: Where in Jersey are you?

Wow I almost forgot about campmor. I havent' been there in years, I used to go camping all the time. It's pretty far away but that is still a good option.

I have pants that are pretty baggy, but they allow some air to travel though as well. So I was afraid fleece might not be enough and/or could absorb the moisture I sweat which I thought was bad?
You're not going to be sweating much on a motorcycle in cold weather ;)

If you *do* plan on sweating a lot, get some inexpensive long underwear at Campmor too.

You should get some quality abrasion-resistant motorcycle pants. Most are going to be waterproof and windproof.