Would you agree with this opinion?

Randy
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: 2007/Honda/CBR1000

#11 Unread post by Randy »

I think it boils down to money. You gotta pay, wether it is plodding around in a truck or zooming on a bike, gotta pay.

I myself have a truck for hauling kids, boards, trash etc. I have a bike for hauling ME! Like BuzZz said, I'll pay for that.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer Simpson
05 Yamaha VMAX
04 Suzuki SV650
05 Suzuki RMZ450

Aquaduct
Elite
Elite

#12 Unread post by Aquaduct »

No, I'd definitely not agree with it, but I'm probably not in the majority.

As mentioned, in a performance comparison, I'd never find a car with 5 lb/hp and 40+ mpg for under $4000. And I'm one of those who enjoy noodling with the bike and fixing it myself. And I've got great friends who also contribute. And bikes are easy to work on, even if, like me, you don't have a garage. Just spent $900 getting the front end revamped on my old Aerostar. Nothing on a bike will probably ever cost that much. Most of my riding is freeway commuting, so I'll trade grip for longevity. Still, the short tire interval doesn't bother me.

$17 for a gallon of Rotella T Synthetic at Wally world. $4 for an oil filter at Autozone. 45 minutes with my 10 year old boy bonding and changing the oil on the bike. A little chain oil. Some fiddling with the carbs. Blasting to work or the grocery store with a big old grin on my face. Doubling the fuel economy and taking hard miles off my aged minivan. $200/year for insurance.

Yeah, there's a good argument for the economy of a bike.

jmillheiser
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#13 Unread post by jmillheiser »

I dont think a bandit 600 will merely hang with a vette. Completely obliterate it in acceleration is more like it. 600cc and higher sportbikes pretty much beat all but the very fastest cars in acceleration and braking.

a 1000cc superbike is best compared to an F1 car as NO production road car can pull a sub 3 second 0-60 or a sub 10 second 1/4 mile (fastest 0-60 is currently the porsche GT2 iirc doing the deed in about 3.2 seconds, fastest 1/4 would be the Skyline GTR Z-tune being the only production car that can pull a sub 12 second 1/4 mile in stock cofiguration)

I can justify the economy of owning a bike. I do all my own work and most of my cage experience is from engines that aren't too different than a bike engine (Aircooled VW engines, Honda DOHC 4 cylinder)

Kal
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 1998 Kawasaki GPZ500S

#14 Unread post by Kal »

I agree with Keyoke, over here running a bike beats running a car hands down, but I have a very, very good non-dealer old school bike repair shop at the bottom of my road.

*The sort of place that you have to go a few times before they get freindly, and has a layer of engine grease on everything - especially the staff.
Kal...
Relationship Squid...

GPZ500S, CB250N, GB250Clubman

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#15 Unread post by sapaul »

My therapy would cost many many times more than running my bike. :oops:
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

BudmanTom
Elite
Elite

#16 Unread post by BudmanTom »

sapaul wrote:My therapy would cost many many times more than running my bike. :oops:
Agreed!
"God give me patience, but give it to me now!!! D.W."

2005 VTX 1800
2005 450R
1999 KLR 650
1996 ZX-11