Legendary 300
Sex: Male

Great Idea in Helmets

#1 Unread post by old-n-slow »

Great Idea in Helmets

September 25, 2004
Smart motorbike helmet
11:56 AM wearable

Piers Tucker, a 24 year-old British graduate from Brunel design school has created a GPS-fitted motorbike helmet that displays information about speed , meaning that drivers do not have to take their eyes off the road to monitor their speed.

storyhel.jpg

The helmet, inspired by the "Head Up Display" systems used by fighter pilots, features a small display unit (2.5cm x 2cm), which has an LCD screen and can be seen to the left of the wearer's peripheral vision.

It displays the speed at which the motorbike is traveling, whether the bike has its indicators on, and what gear the bike is in.

Inside the display unit is a GPS chip, which measures the movement of the bike in nautical speed and converts it into a miles-per-hour reading. It then projects it on to a screen within the helmet.

Tuckers believes the system could also be adopted by parachute jumpers and slalom skiers and could eventually replace the need for dials on a motorbike dashboard.

From CNN, via Wired.

http://www.we-make-money-not-art.com/ar ... 003136.php
GarryS ---- "We learn from experience that men never learn anything from experience."

mysta2
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#2 Unread post by mysta2 »

that's silly, the GPS seems a little redundant. how is it that it can recieve info on the signals and gear... but can't figure out the speedometer

nyrblue35
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#3 Unread post by nyrblue35 »

seems to me like it would be annoying having something to the left or right of my vision in front of me. how long does it take to look down at the speedometer? doesnt even require head movement. seems strange but who knows?
See my bike and accessories at
www.CruiserCustomizing.com/nyrblue35