JR AlterEgo/Atomic Jackets?

GeeMan
Rookie
Rookie

JR AlterEgo/Atomic Jackets?

#1 Unread post by GeeMan »

Hello, Just wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with either of these Joe Rocket jackets. The AlterEgo or Atomic. Any opinions you might have would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks

keysman
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by keysman »

I know a number of people that have Joe Rocket jackets. The Joe Rocket stuff seems to be a little cheaper than some of the other brands. I think you will find some people that have bad things to say about the Joe Rocket stuff but nobody I know had anything bad to say about it. There is a lot of overpriced gear out there so shop around.
New Hotness: 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
Old & Busted: 2003 BMW F650CS

Chick
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by Chick »

I have the alter ego, zippers are flimsy, very verstile. But the protection is not up to good leather, so I seldom wear it. I would rather be hot than shredded. 8)
02 Pearl Yellow ZZ-R1200; Holeshots, Corbin, Ohlins, High Point Wheels,

keysman

#4 Unread post by keysman »

I doubt the Joe Rocket stuff is the best gear out there but wearing a Joe Rocket jacket vs. a T-Shirt is 100% better. Chick has a point, you don't want to cut corners when your picking gear that could save your life. I didn't.
New Hotness: 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
Old & Busted: 2003 BMW F650CS

scan
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

#5 Unread post by scan »

All I own is Joe Rocket, and I think it is great stuff. In my opinion everything has been worth the money. I had a problem with a tear in the crotch of my Phoenix riding pants, and they replaced them free. Part of that was the dealer, I'm sure too. They were almost a year old when I turned them in for the defect and I worn them a lot.

I own a Sonic leather jacket and it is great for colder weather, plus it has removable side panels for when it gets a bit warmer, plus a removable vest. I'll have to write a review for that when I have more time.

I decided to not purchase the Alter-Ego since I had a Phoenix jacket already for hot weather and the Sonic for colder weather. Really didn't need that coat. Plus I don't feel funny wearing the Sonic as a regular coat when I pull the armor out.
* 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R *
"What good fortune for those of us in power that people do not think. " Hitler - think about that one for a minute.

GeeMan
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by GeeMan »

Thanks guys.

sleepychicken
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by sleepychicken »

I've been riding for about a month, and I've had a Joe Rocket Atomic 2.0 the whole time. So far I like it. It's got plenty of velcro, buttons, and straps so adjusting it to fit is easy. So far the vents are working well, but it's only getting up to around 75-80 degrees right now. It does move a lot of air though, so hopefully it'll be ok for the summer. A mesh jacket was to light on protection for me. I'll probably get a leather jacket for cooler riding, but this jacket seemed to be a great compromise. The price was very reasonable, $140 at the local shop. It's also got a zip in liner which helps keep my torso safe from cool wind on night rides, but doesn't help the arms.

I also like the zipper for connecting to riding pants, and the velcro around the waist so I can keep it snug when it's cool out, and keep it loose to let the air flow on warmer days.

Overall, I'd recommend it for someone who was in my situation. I live in Mississippi where summer will get very hot. I wanted something that offered more protection than mesh, and was more comfy than leather. I can wear it off the bike without a problem. It wears just about like any regular jacket since the sleeves aren't pre-curved or anything. I'm happy with it. Good luck with the shopping.

GeeMan
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by GeeMan »

Well I ended up With the Joe Rocket Reactor. Its the one with the Leather down the Arms and Shoulders. Fits good and should give a little more protection then just a total textile jacket. I ended up paying right around $114 S/H Included From NewEnough So im happy. Im most likely going to grab a pair of the AlterEgo Pants to go along with it.
Thanks for your help Guys.

red66stang
Regular
Regular

#9 Unread post by red66stang »

GeeMan wrote:Well I ended up With the Joe Rocket Reactor. Its the one with the Leather down the Arms and Shoulders. Fits good and should give a little more protection then just a total textile jacket. I ended up paying right around $114 S/H Included From NewEnough So im happy. Im most likely going to grab a pair of the AlterEgo Pants to go along with it.
Thanks for your help Guys.
Great choice, I have a reactor as well and love it. Compared to the phoenix, the arms fit much better and I like the look overall better.
'66 Ford Mustang
'02 Suzuki Bandit 600
'80 Honda CM400E
'82 Honda CB650 Nighthawk

MASHBY
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2012 Harley ElectraGlide

#10 Unread post by MASHBY »

Well I just brought a Joe Rocket AlterEgo Jacket.And Im very pleased with it.I tried several jackets but kept coming back to this one as it was the most comfy.I doubt I will ever use zipp out section as mesh doesnt fill me with saftey.But overal a realy realy comfy jacket.
Four Wheels Good Two Wheels Better