Alpinestars Boots

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

Alpinestars Boots

#1 Unread post by ceemes »

Bought a pair of Alpinestars riding boots a couple of days ago and decided to wear them to work in order to wear them in before I got the new bike home.

First the good points. They are a smart looking pair of boots, nothing flash or fancy about them. And I have to admit, they are the most comfortable pair of boots I have ever had, however the negatives really outweight the positives.

First negative: They no zipper, just velcro on the outside of the boot too secure them.

I found this configuration basically unworkable. I could not get a good grip on the straps to properly secure them and you really need two hand to do it right. But the worse is the top and main velcro securing point.

The soft pad that the hard plastic hook secure to is located on the inside portion and the hard hooks on the outside. Problem I found with this set up is that if you don't close the flap so that all the plastic hooks are secured to the soft pad, those plastic hooks will run you front shin area raw. Very uncomfortable, somewhat painful and highly distracting, something you really don't want while riding. Again, with the connector on the outside of the boot, it is hard to properly close them.

These boots could of been great had they put in a zipper, and moved the straps to the inside of the boot and reversed the soft pad and hard plastic section of the main flap.

I will be returning to the stealership this weekend.
Always ask why.

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Re: Alpinestars Boots

#2 Unread post by Hanson »

That was a good reveiw, at leat a useful review.

I have been riding in a pair of Dainese Fulcrum Gore-Tex boots which are similar in stile to your Alpinestars. They have an inseam zipper from below the ankle bone all the way up the side of the calf which is covered by a Velcro flap, are comfortable. and have kept my feet bone dry even while riding in a heavy rain. You might look at this boot as an alternative. One issue I have is that my right foot is quite a bit bigger than my left foot and I would likely have been better served with choosing one size larger. Also, if I am not using boot length socks, the top of the boot will rub the inside of my calf a bit raw. This happened during my MSF basic riding class with lots of duck walking on the first day, but the problem is completely eliminated by simply selecting appropriate socks.

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

Re: Alpinestars Boots

#3 Unread post by jstark47 »

I bought Alpinestar Roam boots in March 2013, they look very similar to the picture you show. I haven't had a problem with the velcro so far, and I'm able to pull the straps one-handed. I noticed the problem with the rough inside of the boot chafing my shin at first - I think the rough part of the boot softened up (or my shin got tougher??), because it doesn't bother me any more.

My biggest issue with the boots is just that they are too warm in hot weather. Otherwise, I'm satisfied with mine.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S