Cruising/touring boots?

muz
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

Cruising/touring boots?

#1 Unread post by muz »

Can anyone recommend a good brand? Right now I'm in hiking boots. They do they job, but the steel toes are a little thick under the shifter. :roll:

Wonder if anyone's tried the new Red Wing boots, they had 'em at the cycle show in February and almost bought a pair.
81 CB900
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul

poppygene
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#2 Unread post by poppygene »

I've worn Cruiserworks for several years now and I really like 'em. They're totally waterproof (I should know :roll: ) and didn't need any breaking in whatsoever. They've got several models for street/cruiser use. :twocents:
Let me get this straight... it's one down and four up, right?

[img]http://img93.exs.cx/img93/7837/aread0hm.gif[/img]

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#3 Unread post by TechTMW »

Once again I'll make my pitch for Military Combat boots. Only $25 at your local surplus store for a basic pair .. they look good and are protective!

I wear Corcoran Paratroop boots (Which have a better sole, more leather around the toe and heel.) They cost about $75 which is still relatively cheaper than alotta boots out there ...
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

Scott58
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#4 Unread post by Scott58 »

I bought a pair of diadora express boots. Very comfortable. Wish they were a bit taller, but good construction and water proof. If you want to go a bit cheaper however, i have to agree with TechBMW. Military boots are hard to beat. I spent 6 years in the military with those things and they will take anything. military surplus cold weather gear is also hard to beat. My flight suit allows me to ride comfortably in 20 degree weather for a few hours.

Update: Diadora boots are not water proof. In heavy rain they fill up and hold water just as well as any cantine!
Last edited by Scott58 on Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
05 Honda Rebel
04 Spitfire Cub-24
05Suzuki S50

Vulcan500rider
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by Vulcan500rider »

After TONS of research into it, I finally got a pair of Oxtar Matrix Gore-Tex boots. They cost me a little over $200 CAN to get here, but they have everything from ankle protection and steel shank, to complete waterproof shell and sticky sole. I think you can get a pair for about $139 from Newenough.com

Mer
Veteran
Veteran

#6 Unread post by Mer »

I've got the Sidi Champions that I've been wearing now for over 2 years. They have held up great, comfortable to walk in and waterproof. They don't have a tall heel or big sole and that is a plus in my book. They are around $200, but well worth it.
Marianne

2005 Honda VTX 1300

keysman
Site Supporter - Platinum

#7 Unread post by keysman »

I like that combat boots idea. I am going to look into that. Actually I have already asked one of my military reserve buddys to look into it for me. What do you think one might not find in a combat boot vs. a high quality boot designed for riders?
New Hotness: 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
Old & Busted: 2003 BMW F650CS

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

#8 Unread post by Gadjet »

keysman wrote:I like that combat boots idea. I am going to look into that. Actually I have already asked one of my military reserve buddys to look into it for me. What do you think one might not find in a combat boot vs. a high quality boot designed for riders?
You won't find the extra hard armor on the ankles, or the extra 'padding' on the shifter toe.

what you will find though, is a pair of supremely comfy boots that you can wear all day, look great with your riding gear, whether you ride a standard, cruiser, or sportbike, and also shine up real nice.

which reminds me, I need to polish my combats again.
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc

keysman

#9 Unread post by keysman »

Okay so the combat boots are not the ultimate riding boots but they are better than the hiking boots I'm wearing now and will probably cost me less than a pair of Timberlands and much less than a pair of riding boots.
New Hotness: 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
Old & Busted: 2003 BMW F650CS

ronboskz650sr
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#10 Unread post by ronboskz650sr »

TechBMW wrote:Once again I'll make my pitch for Military Combat boots. Only $25 at your local surplus store for a basic pair .. they look good and are protective!

I wear Corcoran Paratroop boots (Which have a better sole, more leather around the toe and heel.) They cost about $75 which is still relatively cheaper than alotta boots out there ...
I'll second that. I wear my flight boots (2200 b52 hours). Good ankle support, non-slip sole, fairly low toe profile. The "winter" flight boots are thicker in the ankle, and I take the quick-don zipper out to just use laces. This opens up the front a little for ventilation. I haven't worn these in the dead of summer yet, but in August, they were not too hot for comfort.
Ride safe...God bless!
-Ron
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/ronboskz650sr/avatartotal.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/ronboskz650sr/wholebikeavatar2.jpg[/img]