icon TiMax gloves

iwannadie
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Sex: Male

icon TiMax gloves

#1 Unread post by iwannadie »

i just got a pair of TiMax short blue gloves(49$ shipped off ebay, retail 99$). i had Really Really high hopes for these as they are top of the line from a good company.

first off the quality of the gloves seems Very high, the materials are all nice and thick. the padding in the palm is very thick and cushiony. the titanium armor bits are nice and feel solid enough to actually protect you in a slid. i never really thought the carbon fiber armor would really hold up well. the titanium however is veery easy to mark up, it doesnt scratch just shows marks if that makes sense? my pair actually had a missing rivet on the knuckle armor im seeing if icon will repair them but if not i dont mind it. there are a few spots they used really thin material that makes no sense, the spot next to the thumb(top of your hand) is a high stress area and they use the thinnest material there. that happens to be the same spot i rip every glove so im expecting it to rip fast with these. the stiching around the fingers is on the outside so it feels nice in the glove your fingers dont rub against the material. however the stiching on the outside makes for a layer of material that gets between the controlls and your fingers. doesnt seem like much but i really had to get used to that at first not having my finger tips resting on the controlls but rather have a small layer of material there to try and feel through.

they fit oddly though i must say. i had a pair of medium joe rocket nova gloves that fit Really well(but too tight so they fell apart). icon gloves are supposed to run small so i went for XL. parts of the gloves fit me perfect others are to big or small. maybe i have odd hands im not sure. the index/middle finger are the right size, pinky and ring finger the gloves are too long. the thumb of the glove is to short and really starts to hurt after an hour ride. the palm area fits just fine however the area right next to the thumb is loose. the top of the glove(back of the hand) is really loose and moves around alot. so for fit im kind of so-so on, im hoping they will break in and ill adapt to not having them skin tight all over.

i just took an hour or so ride in them and as i said i had Really high hopes, im the kind of rider that Has to Have gloves. i hate riding without them but i have rode the last 2 months with no gloves. that being said it took a while to adapt to these gloves, they are so thick its hard to feel the controls like im used to (bare hand and thin nova gloves). the palm material really sticks to the grips so i was able to loosen my grip and still not have my hands slid around. the stiching on the fingers still bugs me alot, theres also a seam that runs down the middle of the fingers that seemed to catch the clutch on me every time i tried to feather it out. i had to adjust my finger position on the clutch to get it to slide out smoother. after the end of the ride both the heals of my hands were sore, probably from the big area of padding there im not used to and isnt broken in yet. also the palm and fingers after one ride are already turning black... i have clear grips that arent really dirty or anything so im sure the material is going to color very easy.

all in all they are good gloves that should hold up well see about that part. you really should try them on before buying to make sure on the fit. but for 50$ i am happy with them for sure just wish the fingers had stiching on the inside.
03 katana 600

Mintbread
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#2 Unread post by Mintbread »

Do you worry about all the titanium studs on the palm scratching your tank? I tend to put my left hand on the tank a lot so have always opted for carbon fibre / kevlar armour, for which I can vouch for as I saw my glove after my last crash and I am sure I would be minus a few knuckles without them.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/mintbread1/header.gif[/img]

iwannadie
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#3 Unread post by iwannadie »

Mintbread wrote:Do you worry about all the titanium studs on the palm scratching your tank? I tend to put my left hand on the tank a lot so have always opted for carbon fibre / kevlar armour, for which I can vouch for as I saw my glove after my last crash and I am sure I would be minus a few knuckles without them.
actually i ride with my hand on my thigh and my fingers do touch the tank and i was worried about scratchs actually. im going to have to break that habbit ha. at least the metal bits are rounded off for the most part shouldnt scratch to easy.
03 katana 600

Mac
Veteran
Veteran

#4 Unread post by Mac »

I have a pair of the same gloves but the longer ones that reach up mid forearm. They are a strange fit also. I got a XL and they fit great when I get them on, but getting them on and off is a pain in the … . When I bought them the sales person told me the leather would wear and stretch a bit and they should work great, I have had them for going on two years now and they have not loosened at all. In fact I rarely use them any more, I got a pair from gpstar.net and I like them more. That said though the titanium in the knuckles worked great for “tapping” on cars that were not paying attention, due to cell-phones or DVD players, what have you.
Mac

"Moderatio est figmentam!"

iwannadie
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#5 Unread post by iwannadie »

Mac wrote:I have a pair of the same gloves but the longer ones that reach up mid forearm. They are a strange fit also. I got a XL and they fit great when I get them on, but getting them on and off is a pain in the … . When I bought them the sales person told me the leather would wear and stretch a bit and they should work great, I have had them for going on two years now and they have not loosened at all. In fact I rarely use them any more, I got a pair from gpstar.net and I like them more. That said though the titanium in the knuckles worked great for “tapping” on cars that were not paying attention, due to cell-phones or DVD players, what have you.
ya i forgot to mention mine are a royal pain to get on/off as well. but i seem to have that problem with any glove.

i did run into a problem, that missing rivet i mentiond i decided to try and get it fixxed. i emailed Icon and they told me any warranty issues had to be done at the shop i bought them from. being that i bought them off ebay (a shop that is an authorized reseller of icon gear) Icon told me i have to go through that store to fix my gloves. Icon doesnt offer any option of sending the gloves direct to them for repair service. to me that makes no sense. if you buy some gloves then move away from the area you cant warranty the stuff. or if your on a trip and need some gear you screwed also.

they seemd like a good company(icon) untill i was told about this warranty issue.
03 katana 600

dreambike05
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by dreambike05 »

:roll: yeah i thought so, too. Their products may be good enough until you encounter some discrepancies with what you got.

I had a pair of Icon gloves once but didn't make that great impression on me. I'm now quite comfortable with Alpinestars gloves.
[url=http://www.motorcyclepartstrade.com]Motorcycle apparel[/url] gave me GrEaT dRiVinG AdVenTuREs!