Saddle Pads

Vulcan500rider
Rookie
Rookie

Saddle Pads

#1 Unread post by Vulcan500rider »

Just as the topic suggests, what saddlepads have you tried, and how have they worked out? I'm thinking fairly inexpensive, but it would be interesting to hear about the higher end commercial ones too.
I personally haven't tried one yet, but anyone who has spent multiple hours in a Vulcan 500 saddle will know why I'm asking (or maybe I just have a really boney butt)

the_first_lonewolf
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2006/Harley-Davidson/Roadking

#2 Unread post by the_first_lonewolf »

the seat on my sporty is fine for me but hard on passengers. Last summer at a bike meet met a guy selling gel pads that can be used as is or installed in your saddle. I'll see if I can find the guys card or website and post it for you.

Lonewolf
Everyone has the right to have a faith but no one faith is right for everyone.

Tank Slapper
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by Tank Slapper »

I have a similar problem with my Fazer 600, after about an hour on the seat I get numb bum syndrome. Would also like to hear of any reviews but I`m looking to replace the sponge with latex, like that in mattresses, if I can find someone to supply and or cut to the correct shape.

keysman
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#4 Unread post by keysman »

I have not used it personally but I have herd a number of good comments about the Airhawk line of cushions. A friend of mine has one and he seems to think it helps on those long rides. He did say that he feels a little "floaty" with the Airhawk on the seat since you are sitting on an air filled cushion. These seem to be considered as one of the top-of-the-line products to soften the ride. They also come with a top-of-the-line price tag. Short of getting a custom seat I think these are one of the best options you have.

http://www.rohoinc.com/recreational/products.jsp

A number of people also seem to like the sheepskin butt pad from Alaska Leather. Prices on these range anywhere from $20 - $100 depending on the size of your seat. Even at $100 it's cheaper than the Airhawk. Sheepskin is supposed to be warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

http://www.alaskaleather.com/index.html

If you get something, be sure to let us know what you think and how well it works out for you.
New Hotness: 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
Old & Busted: 2003 BMW F650CS

Vulcan500rider
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by Vulcan500rider »

The cushion seats in the first link are WAY out of my price range, but the sheepskin stuff actually sounds like a pretty decent deal....The only other affordable option I've come up with was possibly a pair of cycling shorts with gel inserts underneath my leather. That being said, I'm usually more than hot enough under my leather anyway, and I can't see that improving things...<laugh> One way or the other, I'll post up what I decide on and how it goes... Thanks for the advice.

poppygene
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#6 Unread post by poppygene »

A friend of mine seems to like the sheepskin covers. He's used them on several different bikes over the years and currently has one on his Bandit 1200. This guy is the real iron-butt type. You know... the kind who does 2500 miles in a three-day weekend and says, "Ah, that was nothing."
Let me get this straight... it's one down and four up, right?

[img]http://img93.exs.cx/img93/7837/aread0hm.gif[/img]

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

Soft-Bottom Seat Cushions

#7 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I saw these cushions at the motorcycle show. They are by Crossgel. They claim to absorb 95% of vibration so you can ride longer and pain-free. The cushions are made from a polymer gel. I don't have a problem sitting on my saddle so I haven't actuallt used one of these seat cushions, but I sat on one at the bike show and it did feel good.

http://www.crossgel.ca