Cruiser Helmets

basshole
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male

Cruiser Helmets

#1 Unread post by basshole »

Trying to decide what style helmet to get. Looking at either a half helmet or a full face flip up. Any opinions on these? Any feed back on half helmets? Can you ride with a flip face in the up position? Thanks
Beer. Helping ugly people get laid since 1853
2006 Suzuki C50 Silver/Gray

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#2 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

I would recommend a regular full-face. I ride on my cruiser with one. Most damage to the face normally occurs around the cheek area, and Im all in favor of keeping my jaw.

keysman
Site Supporter - Platinum

#3 Unread post by keysman »

Full Face... Any Questions?

This happened after a 5 MPH crash.
New Hotness: 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
Old & Busted: 2003 BMW F650CS

nyrblue35
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#4 Unread post by nyrblue35 »

with my windshieldshield i always ride with a shorty i bought at helmets etc. its a cyber U69 and i got it for 40 bucks, DOT as well. when it gets really cold ill go back to my full face helmet.
See my bike and accessories at
www.CruiserCustomizing.com/nyrblue35

ronboskz650sr
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#5 Unread post by ronboskz650sr »

My son rides a cruiser and a sport bike...both with full face helmet. I have a flip up, for short rides around town wearing my glasses...I wear it into gas stations, etc. I always wear full face on any long or fast ride.
Ride safe...God bless!
-Ron
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/ronboskz650sr/avatartotal.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/ronboskz650sr/wholebikeavatar2.jpg[/img]

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#6 Unread post by ZooTech »

keysman wrote:Full Face... Any Questions?

Can't help but wonder if the weight of the helmet dragged your head to the ground. I've seen crashes involving helmetless riders where their face and head were untouched, but just about every helmetted rider ends up riding the asphalt with their face and/or head.

Remember, it was a helmet that broke Dale Earnhardt's neck.

keysman

#7 Unread post by keysman »

Seatbelts have killed people too but I'm not going to stop wearing one. :roll:
New Hotness: 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
Old & Busted: 2003 BMW F650CS

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#8 Unread post by ZooTech »

keysman wrote:Seatbelts have killed people too but I'm not going to stop wearing one. :roll:
I'm not suggesting that. But every time someone wrecks and sustains damage to their helmet they say, "See, that could've been your face!". My point is, no...it probably wouldn't have been. A helmet adds weight that your neck is not used to supporting, and during an impact it cannot hold it back from striking the road. I have flown off of 4-wheelers dozens of times in dozens of different situations and never sustained any head injuries whatsoever. I did end up with some cracked ribs, and a twisted ankle or two, and had the wind knocked out of me I don't know how many times. But I can't recall a single incident where my head got so much as dirty.

basshole
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#9 Unread post by basshole »

compelling viewpoints from both sides of the fence. I like the sagety factor of the full face but I also enjoy the feeling of the wind in my face too. I'm sure a decent pair of riding shades would add some protection to a half or open face helmet around the eyes but would still keep the cheeks and mouth exposed. Now I'm looking at just local surface street commuting for the most part so don't if that actually factors much into the equation. I'm actually leaning more to buying 2 helmets. An HJC CL-21 open face and the HJC CL-Max Flip face. I'm just not real jacked about having my face completely closed off with no fresh air to breath.
Beer. Helping ugly people get laid since 1853
2006 Suzuki C50 Silver/Gray

cb360
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#10 Unread post by cb360 »

ZooTech wrote:
keysman wrote:Full Face... Any Questions?

Can't help but wonder if the weight of the helmet dragged your head to the ground. I've seen crashes involving helmetless riders where their face and head were untouched, but just about every helmetted rider ends up riding the asphalt with their face and/or head.

Remember, it was a helmet that broke Dale Earnhardt's neck.
Bull - Dale earnhardt was killed becasue he wasn't wearing the HANS system. You aren't suggesting that race car drivers also go helmetless are you? The 'weight of the helmet causes neck injuries' argument has been debunked countless times. As I've said before, I don't care if someone who has the facts chooses to go helmetless or wear a beanie - it impacts me not in the least. I do take exception when someone insinuates that it's the helmets that cause the injuries and you'd actually be safer without it. That's just a rationalization with nothing to support it. For every 'physicist' you can find that will back that 'theory' there's 25 who say it's bunk. I have little doubt that someone could comb through accidents and find a couple where the helmet contributed to an injury - (people have been strangled by life jackets after all) - but if those types of incidents are even possible they would be easily dwarfed by the thousands of lives saved by helmets and anyone who is honest with themselves knows it.
1974 Honda CB360
1985 Honda Magna VF700c