Progrip 3000 anti-fog, light sensitive lens...$15 !

ronboskz650sr
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male

Progrip 3000 anti-fog, light sensitive lens...$15 !

#1 Unread post by ronboskz650sr »

The progrip 3000 was great to have on Saturday. Vulcanman500 and I went 120 miles each way to look at a bike (which he bought, BTW). We left in bright sunlight and returned after dark. I have to say, my eyes really appreciated the light-sensitive tint during the afternoon, and the shield positively did not fog on the way home in 40 degree night temperatures. We stopped at lights and once to put on more clothes, and I walked around with the shield down, like I never could before, at the gas station.

I got mine at the dealer, but they have a website http://www.progrip.com/default.asp?tip=9&ite=gog If your dealer doesn't get it. This is well worth $15.
Ride safe...God bless!
-Ron
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/ronboskz650sr/avatartotal.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/ronboskz650sr/wholebikeavatar2.jpg[/img]

keysman
Site Supporter - Platinum

#2 Unread post by keysman »

I just picked up one of these today for 16 bucks! I'll install it tomorrow and let you know how it goes. You better be right about these things Ron. :D Just kidding.
New Hotness: 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
Old & Busted: 2003 BMW F650CS

DustyJacket

#3 Unread post by DustyJacket »

How is it attached?
Bikers Against Child Abuse - Kansas City Chapter
www.bacainternational.org

Bill and Pete do the Dragon's Tail at Deal's Gap:
www.dustyjacket.com/dragon/index.html

poppygene
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#4 Unread post by poppygene »

DustyJacket wrote:How is it attached?
Yeah, Ron, tell us more! A pic of it installed would be nice... :mrgreen:
Let me get this straight... it's one down and four up, right?

[img]http://img93.exs.cx/img93/7837/aread0hm.gif[/img]

keysman

#5 Unread post by keysman »

I installed the Progrip light sensitive anti-fog lens on my helmet shield tonight. The project took a little longer than I hoped. I think overall it was about a 2 hour install. The first thing the directions said to do was place masking tape on the shield on the outside with the shield closed. The tape is used to mark the opening in your helmet. This just helps you position the lens later on. You can see the tape on the shield after I pulled it off the helmet. The inside edges of the tape outline the where the opening is in my helmet.

Things were a little more complicated on my helmet because of this plastic pin on the inside if the shield. Marked by the number 1 in this next photo. This pin is both on the inside and the outside of my shield. On the outside it's for tear offs and on the inside it's to hold a anti-fog shield in place that came with the helmet similar to this one. In order to fit the Progrip shield I had to position it on the inside, mark the pins and then notch out the lens a little bit marked by the number 2 in this photo.

The next part was the biggest pain in installing the lens. There is a protective covering on both sides of the lens that you have to remove and then you have to peel the mask off the adhesive strip that surrounds the permitter and the little flames on the sides. I think the jagged bits on the sides are just there for extra added adhesion. Once you peel off the protective layer from the front of the lens, the side that will be touching the inside of the shield you would expect it to be clean. Not on mine there was some residue on mine that I needed to clean off. Once you install they lens your not going to be clean in between the lens and the shield so you want to make sure it's clean and lint free. Clean the inside of your shield too.

It was difficult to position the lens just right and to get it between the two pins. I guess this would have been easier if the pins were not there. So if you get one of these it won't be as tough. Plus I may be a little bit of a perfectionist. Once you get it all in place then you just press down on the perimeter to set the adhesive. The directions recommend you leave the shield out for 24 hours so that's what I will do.

I don't know how well the light sensitive aspect of the lens will work but that is the main reason I got this lens. I hope that it will allow me to ride in the sun without sunglasses. The lens that I got looks reflective blue from the outside. You can't tell by these photos, but it looks quite good with my hemet with it's blue and white design.

When I get a chance to get back on the bike in the bright sun, I'll test this out and let you know how well it works. If it works it will be worth the $15.00 to not have to wear sunglasses and to not have to worry about getting stuck with a dark tinted shield after dark.

ronboskz650sr
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#6 Unread post by ronboskz650sr »

Hi folks! First, let me apologize for not getting photos. I get impatient when I do projects that promise a 24 hour down time. The good news is, (not recommended) I put the faceshield back on in two hours with no apparent ill-effect.

I still am very pleased with the performance. It actually seems to darken according to how bright the sun actually is! I do want to add a confirmation of making sure you clean the inside very thoroughly. I did, and after installation i noticed a single eyelash over on the far left edge, inside the layers. I'm stuck with it, but a second look before you glue it down couldn't hurt for the rest of you. I have put nearly 1500 miles on in varying levels of light, including nighttime. I really couldn't be happier. I personally prefer to wear my contacts, because my glasses are in poor shape, and at night they cast rings around everything. The visor doesn't do this. Also, I think the jagged-edged foam strips are to maintain a slight airspace for the anti-fog function, which also works like a champ. Still a highly recommended product.
Ride safe...God bless!
-Ron
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/ronboskz650sr/avatartotal.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/ronboskz650sr/wholebikeavatar2.jpg[/img]

keysman

#7 Unread post by keysman »

It seems like a good quality product for the money. I haven't been out riding yet so I can say for sure but I'll let you know how it works for me too.

Thanks Ron for telling everyone about this product.

P.S. I wasn't trying to show you up or anything by posting the pictures of the install. I just thought people might like to see them.

keysman

#8 Unread post by keysman »

I have been riding with this for a few weeks now and it seems to be worth the $15 bucks or less no doubt. I was riding late in the day yesterday and the sun was a a pretty low angle so I was getting it right in the face and I could have used a little more tint but it still wasn't bad. I have never noticed it changing tint but I know it works. I get a few unusual reflections but they are minimal and don't bother me.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#9 Unread post by blues2cruise »

You guys got a good price on yours. I had to pay $25. Even with the exchange rate, you got a good deal.
I was having a terrible time with the visor fogging up. None of the "anti-fog" sprays would work.
This visor liner works fantastic for not fogging up. My only complaint is it does not go back to really clear when it gets dark out.