Good Gloves

JDawg117
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

Good Gloves

#1 Unread post by JDawg117 »

About the gloves, what style is the best? Gauntlet or Street (just barely covering the wrist)? Perforated or Solid? Keep in mind, my safety is #1.

sickchilly
Rookie
Rookie

#2 Unread post by sickchilly »

I've found it depends upon cliimate and length of use (long ride comfort).

For winter here in Seattle (often riding in cold rain), I use the First Gear Voyager gloves. They're textile, water proof, well insulated and have a drawstring gauntlet.

For summer riding, I had some perforated leather gloves with gel cushioned palms. I think I'm going to switch to a mesh textile with armor next summer just for better cooling, comfort and protection.
2005 Yamaha V-star 650 Silverado

Scott58
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#3 Unread post by Scott58 »

Climate is it. I love my joe rocket rush gloves, but i'd never wear them in the summer time. Figure on 2 or 3 different pairs of gloves and wear them accordingly.
05 Honda Rebel
04 Spitfire Cub-24
05Suzuki S50

superccs
Rookie
Rookie

Summer Riding

#4 Unread post by superccs »

I ride an F4 both in daily Los Angeles traffic and in the canyons, and I love my Cortech/Tourmaster Scarabs - Gauntlet style for their excelent construction, comfort, protection, and utility. They are good for temps ranging from 60F and above. I have had them since July and they have shown little signs of wear, even after 8,000 miles of riding and daily use.

price is great too ~$70

My buddies really like the Astars SP plus series

Hope this helps,
-ccs

jackM50black
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by jackM50black »

For cold weather riding... I chose leather Olympia insulated gloves (Thermolite plus Gore-tex) with good size gantlets, but not extreme. For warm weather riding I've got lightweight leather Tour-Master gloves with no gantlets. I need to buy something for hot weather riding. :oops: (the little red-faced emoticon looks overheated fom hot weather riding)

rpk1000
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by rpk1000 »

If you are strictly concerned about safety, then look no further than the closest race track.

All racers wear full gauntlet gloves without perforation. The reasons for this are simple. The gauntlet is designed to be pulled over th cuff of your jacket and secure tightly around it. The more layers you have between you and the pavement, the better off you are. Gloves should not be able to pull of easily in the event of a crash, so most full length gauntlet gloves have two secure closures. One primary closure that secures around the jacket, and a secondary, hook & loop closure that secures just below the wrist. Try adding that to a gauntless glove.

With regard to perforated leather, if safety is the primary issue, all the holes in the leather equals a) less protection between you and the pavement and b) points of weakness for the gloves to tear or pull apart.

Having said that, go with what is the most comfortable to wear. In terms of absolute safety, if you aren't comfortable then you are a distracted rider.

dieziege
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#7 Unread post by dieziege »

I have some fieldshear gauntlet gloves that are well insulated... fine for cold weather but miserable above 60 degrees. I also have some Olympia Gel gloves... don't particularly like them (they are a month old and the velcro hooks are ripping them apart) but they are much more comfortable in hot weather.

I much prefer the gauntlet style gloves, but haven't found a pair that is cool and comfortable..yet.
Ride it like you think owning it matters.

Bachstrad37
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#8 Unread post by Bachstrad37 »

If you're mad about protection, a pair of hockey gloves would suit our concerns. But since that's ridiculous, you're going to have to give up some protection with comfort. No glove is going to protect you if you refuse to wear it due to lack of comfort.

My criteria include kevlar reinforced in the knuckles on all gloves and some perforation pending the season I wish to use em. I have 3 different pairs due to my climate in northern Minnesota. All of them have kevlar knuckles, but vary in weight.
2003 VN1500P Kawasaki Mean Streak
2009 Yamaha Nytro FX