Motion Research - SportVue

#1 Unread post by keysman »

Product: SportVue
Product Type: Technology
Manufacturer: Motion Research Corporation
URL: http://www.motionresearch.com/
Product Preview

Click Here to view our updated review of the SportVue MC2

The question many of you may be asking is, "What is SportVue?" This is of course a perfectly valid question as SportVue from Motion Research is a product that has yet to hit the streets.

According to Seattle based Motion Research, SportVue™ is a very lightweight helmet and visor-mounted heads-up display unit, driven by a signal generated by a compact helmet-mounted GPS transceiver. This GPS signal is received via a small antenna on the helmet... This transmission provides the wearer with a continually updated graphic display, within the normal field of view... The display consists of speed, distance, location and other optional user-programmable indications - (gear position, shift indication, etc.). Racing versions will provide lap time, track position and segmented lap performance data.

SportVue’s innovative design has three small, lightweight components: An optical display that mounts on the front of your helmet, a GPS transceiver that mounts on the back of your helmet and a transmitter which is mounted to the motorcycle’s ignition system. The GPS transceiver has a built-in antenna which receives navigational data from GPS satellites and other signals from the wireless sensor mounted on your motorcycle. The transceiver processes the data and sends it to the display via a custom wireless link. The display presents the data to the rider in a clear image that is easy to read and within your normal field of view. The heads-up display is focused well in front of you, requiring little or no focal time. You see and instantly grasp speed, RPM and gear information. Additionally racing versions will provide extended information such as lap time, segmented lap performance data and other user-programmable functions. All data from SportVue is continually updated. The rider can rotate the display on its mount as well as slide it up and down. SportVue is also setup so you can open the visor on a full-face helmet with the display attached. In the event of an accident, both helmet-mounted components will separate before causing any injury to the rider. The SportVue is a Snell approved break-away attachment. All of this is powered by readily available AAA batteries.

The first public preview of of SportVue was at the 23rd annual Cycle World International Motorcycle Show held in Seattle Washington this past December. Motion Research's founder and former professional race car driver, Dominic Dobson, says “HeadMounted Displays are truly the next big step in sports equipment. SportVue will revolutionize motorcycle riding by providing safe and easy access to the data riders need.”

In a recent email update from Mr. Dobson, he indicated that product development has been rapid and they are now in the final stages of the RF link and production specifications. They anticipate that SportVue for Motorcycles will be available through their website at as early as late Spring 2004.

According to an article published in the New York Times pricing for SportVue will be between $249 and $349. So SportVue will be priced about the same or less than the latest Titanium exhaust pipe, or less than those carbon-fiber, billet or chrome accessories you're looking at for your ride.

Personally I'm impressed and excited that this technology has made into an application for motorcycle riders. I think it will be great to be able to just shift my eyes slightly and be able to see information like my current speed and gear position. What do you think? Post and share your opinion about this product.

As more information regarding SportVue becomes available, I will post updates about this exciting new product. For now, I hope you enjoyed this "heads-up" on SportVue.

Was this preview helpful to you? Please post and let us know.
New Hotness: 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
Old & Busted: 2003 BMW F650CS