Harley

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#21 Unread post by dr_bar »

I wonder if the advertising campaign reported in blues2cruise's blog has anything to do with these rumours? Absolutely no branding to the ads, just a silhouette of a bike...

http://totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopi ... &start=813

There is another ad that reads something like, "No one ever 'Found' themselves in a mini van." Or something to that effect. You'll notice the profile of the bike in the ad really looks a lot like a sporty...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#22 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Excellent news, rumors and thoughts/opinions on this thread. I really look forward to the 2010 Harley-Davidson model year as it will show where the company is heading and what they are thinking with the new economy.

I would think that H-D will downsize their model line-up a little, try to make their models gets more MPG and do they best to offer more "attractive pricing or extra options" on existing models to move them. I know price pressure is to keep going up, but selling models in a tough economy is what H-D is faced with.

I imagine having added production numbers will leave 2008's on the floor longer and it's the supply and demand that has helped H-D's keep their re-sale value so that will have to be addressed.

End of July (21st?) will be an interesting day and as soon as H-D media puts up the 2010's I'll have them up asap on Total Motorcycle. :D

Buell should be around this time too.

IF ANYONE hears any other news or sees the 2010's up on Harley's site let me know please (PM me), just post it here I'll watch this thread.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Ryethil
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#23 Unread post by Ryethil »

totalmotorcycle wrote:Excellent news, rumors and thoughts/opinions on this thread. I really look forward to the 2010 Harley-Davidson model year as it will show where the company is heading and what they are thinking with the new economy.

Snip

I imagine having added production numbers will leave 2008's on the floor longer and it's the supply and demand that has helped H-D's keep their re-sale value so that will have to be addressed.

Snip

IF ANYONE hears any other news or sees the 2010's up on Harley's site let me know please (PM me), just post it here I'll watch this thread.

Mike
Everything that I've heard shows a philosophical battle going on through out the HD empire (such as it is). The company is perilously close to finding the same point of disaster that the Brits did in the 70s. How HD handles the conflicting tugs and pulls that it is facing right now shows how it will survive the future.

Since AMF, WillieG turned the company into an Ameican company whose management and workers were Americans and built bikes for Americans. This might or will change in the future and there is concern that it will drive Americans from the exclusiveness of Harley Davidson. The perceived totally Americanness of Harley Davidson allowed Harley to sell bikes for a price that alowed this exclusiveness. That and resale values being so high, it's cuctomer base got more and more exclusive. And in turn HD model types shrank as well.

Now it faces three main problems.

Emissions levels are becoming tougher and air cooled motorcycles are problematic about dealing with this. Everyone has complained about the increased heat of the new bikes and this will only get worse. So is water cooling may be the order of the day? Will the exclusive faithful accept this? What will HD do if these faithful lose their interest in HD?

It used to be that changes were fewer and farther apart over a period of time. This kept resale values up and customers felt justified in paying higher intial prices for HD motorcycles because they would get a larger return on their dollar come trade in time. Now HD is changing rapidly and various models are losing value because of changes to the model line. The biggest one this year was the changing of the frame of the touring motorcycles. Those who bought 2008s felt cheated because of this and found thier bikes worth less in resail value. How will HD handle this in the future? Note: my Shovelhead is worth more than what was paid for it new 25+ years ago. Will new Harleys be able to say that.

Finally, Harley has become more of a general finacial company. There are pressures on it to become more of a general motorcycle company. Can HD survive this? Can it gain in new customers what it loses in the company faithful? Can it keep its image and produce a larger number of models of all types of motorcycles. All of them being uniquely Harleys. For it is general consensus that if Harley loses its image, the big companies will just eat it alive.

So for many people, 2010 is a very exciting year. It isn't what is actually produces but what directions HD will head. Can HD be smart enough to survive and still show an American face to the public. Or will HD go the way of GM and slowly eat itself alive?

As for the latest rumors, There will be a XR1200X. However, the California emission standards board approved a certification of a new XR1200 and XR1200X. However, it was done on the same cerification so the engine in both of them will be the same. How or what they actually turn out to be is widely debated but they will suffer more from emissions standards. And probably cost more if inside HD reps are to be believed.

Which is turning out to a clutch play for HD. There is a large (huge) surplus of 2008 and 2009 motorcycles. How and what HD will releases will have to deal with this fact as well. Using the XR1200 series again. In some places the XR was such a great seller that they couldn't keep any on the sales floor but in other places they couldn't generate any interest at all in them. So there is a conflict in what to do with the new ones. Redistribute the 2009 XRs to those shops that can sell them or just release the 2010 models on top of them. And if the case that there was such a discrepancy in shops that could and dealers that couldn't sell them, is the belief in a 2nd model of XR/X be misplaced?

Don't have any clues to go beyond the knowledge of the questions.

I bought my last bike for this year, a 2009 CVO Fat Bob. However, I may pick it up from where it sits and move it to a customer that desperately wants it. I want a Fat Bob but can't ignore the deal. Nevertheless, I have the pieces to build one from the ground up so that may be the way to go for me. I wanted a bigger, badder motor in it anyway...

:rockon:
Alex
It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. WtPooh

My First Custom, Late 90's Sportster, Heavily Breathed On, Big Block, S&S HP Heads, Custom High Performance Pipes. Wickedly fast, Uncomfortable, Front end is a jackhammer. Age 18yrs, Still have the bike!

[img]http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/Ryethil/user28512_pic25609_1235625747-1.jpg[/img]

koji52
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#24 Unread post by koji52 »

Jeeeeeeesus...the CVO Fatbobs are sweet...are you getting it in the electric orange color? Where the hell are you making all this money to buy those bikes...the CVO Fatbobs are like 25-27k...I want in on whatever you're doing :mrgreen:
2008 HD VRSC-DX Night Rod Special
2008 Buell 1125R

Ryethil
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#25 Unread post by Ryethil »

koji52 wrote:Jeeeeeeesus...the CVO Fatbobs are sweet...are you getting it in the electric orange color? Where the hell are you making all this money to buy those bikes...the CVO Fatbobs are like 25-27k...I want in on whatever you're doing :mrgreen:
Hey, what if I was selling my body or was using this buying and selling to overcome my gambling habit? The second may be closer to the truth. :laughing:

The bike is A black diamond with fire quartz. It has less than 500 miles on it and shows no wear. The buyer wants certain accessories on it and is willing to pay a bit more than it will cost me to get it to him. If he breaks off on the deal, then I chalk it up to bad luck and ride the bike around until someone wants to buy it for a price I can't walk away from. However, the secret is that is a bike I want as well, so I'm never upset if the deal doesn't work out.

And a CVO Fat Bob is a unique machine.

:happybikeday:
Alex
It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. WtPooh

My First Custom, Late 90's Sportster, Heavily Breathed On, Big Block, S&S HP Heads, Custom High Performance Pipes. Wickedly fast, Uncomfortable, Front end is a jackhammer. Age 18yrs, Still have the bike!

[img]http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/Ryethil/user28512_pic25609_1235625747-1.jpg[/img]

koji52
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#26 Unread post by koji52 »

My best friend has been eyeing the orange cvo fatty...I can't blame him, it just is waaaay out of my price range and his unfortunately. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to settle for the Vrod :mrgreen:

Nice on the CVO though...that bike is damn gorgeous
2008 HD VRSC-DX Night Rod Special
2008 Buell 1125R

crazy5dave
Elite
Elite

#27 Unread post by crazy5dave »

if you go to this page http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cer ... 0/2010.php
you can see the motorcycles certified for emmisions. they include some new designations for models which can be guessed at. New stuff 883N, xr1200X FLSTFB, FLHTK, FLTRU, FLTRX, and return of the fxdwg better know as a wide glide. my guess xr12000x is a scrabler type. more off road looking like the triumph. fltru ultra will include top boxes. there is a FXCWX rocker crossbones too.
2007 Buell XB12Ss

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#28 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

crazy5dave wrote:if you go to this page http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cer ... 0/2010.php
you can see the motorcycles certified for emmisions. they include some new designations for models which can be guessed at. New stuff 883N, xr1200X FLSTFB, FLHTK, FLTRU, FLTRX, and return of the fxdwg better know as a wide glide. my guess xr12000x is a scrabler type. more off road looking like the triumph. fltru ultra will include top boxes. there is a FXCWX rocker crossbones too.
Nice detective work! Well done!

I should have all the 2010 H-D models up on Total Motorcycle next week (if H-D still releases on time).

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Graunke
Rookie
Rookie

#29 Unread post by Graunke »

The new 10's are up on Harley's site. Went live about 9 something central time.

Lookin good!

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#30 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Looks like I'll be working tonight and tomorrow to get them up on Total Motorcycle. I assume Buell is up for 2010 as well.

Lots of work, but Total Motorcycle will have them up ASAP and with special media/press only photos and information shortly.

Mike