Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: 2011 Buell that wasn't to be

#11 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Here is the article:

The May 2010 issue of Cycle World magazine has a story of the Demise of the Buell Motorcycle Company written by Steve Anderson. Many have speculated about the role Harley Davidson played in the difficulties encountered by Buell over the years and this article seems to underscore many of those suspicions with details on the sequence of events, written by someone who knew Erik Buell very well from the 1980s and as an employee of Buell for the last 5 years.

The fact that Buell did as well as they did over the years is amazing given the motivations and decisions inside the Motor Company, as detailed in this article. It does not portray Harley Davidson in a positive light. Anderson makes clear, many of the questions of why Buell did many of the things they did can be answered with one word, Harley.

There is also a short test ride by Don Canet of the prototype Barracuda 2, the bike that would have become the next Buell.

I very strongly urge you to read this in depth article and form your own conclusions. This issue of Cycle World may not be on the newsstands yet, but you can read it immediately with a digital subscription, or check out your local store. Either way, don't miss this inside look at the business side of the Buell story.

UPDATE: Just a few additional facts some of you may be interested in. Not all of the talent at Buell was lost to the Buell effort, Matt Sheahan, who designed the 1125R frame and led the Barracuda II design team, now works with Erik Buell Racing, as does Analytical Engineer John Fox, who performed all the CFD analysis on the 1190RR fairing and the radiators. That's good to know.
Attachments
cycle-world-5-2010.jpg
cycle-world-5-2010.jpg (34.21 KiB) Viewed 13575 times
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#12 Unread post by High_Side »

totalmotorcycle wrote:Here is the article:
The May 2010 issue of Cycle World magazine has a story of the Demise of the Buell Motorcycle Company written by Steve Anderson.
I picked this up the other day and it is a great read from someone who holds nothing back. It doesn't make the situation any better but does offer up good reasons why Buell made the decisions that they did. I'm still holding out for BRP to hire him in 2011 after his no-compete claus expires. Bring on the Can-Am Buell!

koji52
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#13 Unread post by koji52 »

I guess I wasn't supposed to link up here...sorry man.
2008 HD VRSC-DX Night Rod Special
2008 Buell 1125R

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#14 Unread post by HYPERR »

So finally finished reading all these books that was assigned by the History professor and was able to read this article.

Never knew this Wandell guy didn't even know how to ride a motorcycle. And this idiot also states he does not understand why anyone would want to ride a sportbike! :frusty:

So a company that was rescued from AMF by a bunch of motorcycle enthusiasts is now taken over by this non rider idiot? :shock: They're doomed! :(
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

koji52
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#15 Unread post by koji52 »

Just had a chance to read the article. Wow. I never realized how much the MoCo really restricted Buell. Buell really was the illegitimate child of HD. It's unfortunate, really...

On an unrelated note, my 1125R is in the shop getting warranty work done and my parts are on backorder for a month. Greeeaaaat.
2008 HD VRSC-DX Night Rod Special
2008 Buell 1125R

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#16 Unread post by HYPERR »

koji52 wrote:Just had a chance to read the article. Wow. I never realized how much the MoCo really restricted Buell. Buell really was the illegitimate child of HD. It's unfortunate, really...
Yeah I didn't realize that either. Ironically his lawyers did as they pleaded with him not to sign the deal with Harley, and even went as far as saying if he did, he will have to sign a form stating this was his own doing despite strong opposition and warning from the law firm.

Imagine what Erik Buell could have done had the Mofos at the MoCo let him do his thing without the military dictatorship-like short leash.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

dean owens
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: '06 Yamaha Fz6

#17 Unread post by dean owens »

reading that article made me pretty mad. i hope buell is able to get something going in a few years when i'm ready to get a new bike. i'd love to own a xb12scg.
Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6 (Faster Blue)

Previous: 1983 Honda GL650 Interstate (given back to previous owner)

Project: 1980 CX500 Custom - making a cafe racer

Graunke
Rookie
Rookie

#18 Unread post by Graunke »

Seems Wendell is a numbers guy. There are many changes happening in the motor company over the last year, and many more coming...