Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2008 Kawasaki Versys

HARLEY-DAVIDSON OFFERS THREE NEW MODELS FOR 2011

#1 Unread post by JTRogue »

*This is from the H-D Press release*

HARLEY-DAVIDSON OFFERS THREE NEW MODELS FOR 2011

Plus New PowerPak Touring Combo and Available ABS for Softail® models

MILWAUKEE (July 27, 2010) – Harley-Davidson introduces the new SuperLow™, XR1200X and Road Glide® Ultra models with its expansive line of 2011-model-year motorcycles. With 32 models including urban brawlers, long-haul touring machines, contemporary customs drenched in chrome, dark retro-style bobbers, exhilarating sport roadsters and inviting standards, Harley-Davidson offers a motorcycle to match the desires of almost any street rider. Each rolls to the sound track of the American road, a syncopated V-Twin cadence that is the pulse of every Harley-Davidson® motorcycle.

Highlights of the 2011 Harley-Davidson line include:

* The new SuperLow combines revised front end geometry, new wheels and tires with a reshaped seat and handlebars to achieve well-balanced handling and comfort that will inspire confidence in new riders and exhilarate those with experience.
* The qualities of a frame-mounted fairing and luxury touring accommodations come together in the new Road Glide Ultra. Powered by a Twin Cam 103™ engine, this long-haul beauty comes equipped with a King Tour-Pak® luggage carrier, vented fairing lowers, ABS (anti-lock braking system), Harley-Davidson Smart Security System, cruise control, and a four-speaker, 80-watt Harman/Kardon Advanced Audio System.
* The new XR1200X is Harley-Davidson Sportster® performance honed to its finest edge, with adjustable front and rear suspension, floating front brake rotors and the surging power of a high-compression 1200cc Evolution® V-Twin engine.
* Select Touring models gain power and technology with the new Harley-Davidson PowerPak, which bundles the Twin Cam 103™ engine with ABS (anti-lock braking system) and the H-D® Smart Security System. PowerPak is a standard feature on the 2011 Road King® Classic, Electra Glide® Ultra Limited, and Road Glide® Ultra models, and will be available as a factory-installed option on the 2011 Street Glide® and Road Glide® Custom models.
* 2011 Harley-Davidson Softail models except Cross Bones® are newly available with optional ABS. New hand controls add features, convenience and cleaner styling.
* The 2011 VRSC™ power-cruisers are available with a new Security Package option, which bundles ABS with a Smart Security System for greater value. Michelin® Scorcher™ tires and new colors and graphics round out changes to the Night Rod® Special and the V-Rod Muscle™.
* The four 2011 Dyna® models project pure attitude. Built with the rawest styling of all the Big Twin motorcycles, Dyna models are a customizer's dream. Each is offered in new colors.

Harley-Davidson Custom Vehicle Operations (CVO™) offers four premium, limited-production motorcycles for 2011.

* The new CVO Road Glide Ultra features a Road Tech® zumo® 660 GPS navigation system, upgraded Harman/Kardon Advanced Audio system with BOOM! Bagger speakers and an 8GB iPod® nano® and dock, and a two-up suspended touring seat with dual heat controls.
* The CVO Street Glide rolls on a new 19-inch Agitator™ front wheel, and new ventilated fairing lowers house two of the six speakers that are part of a 100-watt-per-channel audio system that incorporates an 8GB iPod nano with dock.
* The CVO Softail Convertible has a new audio system that integrates 3.5-inch speakers and a 20-watt-per-channel amplifier into a redesigned inner fairing. Music is delivered by an 8GB iPod nano stored in a protective pouch. Also new is a 1.25-inch welded mini-ape handlebar, Electronic Throttle Control (ETC), cruise control, keyless ignition and ABS.
* The CVO Ultra Classic® Electra Glide® has a new suspended, heated, two-up seat with leather inserts. Dual mufflers feature new chrome billet end caps with black spears, and new mirrors are finished in mirror chrome.

Here is a link to see the pics
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/28/harl ... offerings/
1982 Honda SilverWing GL500
2008 Hyosung Rally Prima 50 (dorky but fun)
2005 Suzuki Burgman AN650
2008 Kawasaki Versys KLE650A

Quo Vadimus

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

Re: HARLEY-DAVIDSON OFFERS THREE NEW MODELS FOR 2011

#2 Unread post by jstark47 »

OK, sorry, I'm not drinking the "new model" Kool-ade here.

XR1200X I get, it's a XR1200 with upgraded suspension components. New model..... meh..... but it's a nice upgrade on the XR1200, which was the neatest thing HD had done in several years. So I'll let that slide. Ultra RoadGlide I'm guessing is some kind of up-optioned RoadGlide, better luggage and features. Nice to see HD invest in the RoadGlide model, Gummi will be jazzed, I know he loves his.

It's the XL883L Superlow that's giving me cognitive dissonance. Exactly how is this a "new model" compared to a 2010 XL883L? (Aside from having a funky name, but you can't ride a name....)

Weight- Check, same as 2010.
Seat height- Check, same as 2010.
Engine & tranny- Check...... oh, wait a minute, even I wasn't looking for anything different there! :mrgreen: Same final drive and gear ratios as 2010...
Tank- Oooo.... new. Wait a minute, not really, isn't that the tank off the Custom?
Brakes- Check, same as 2010.

Total newness? They borrowed the tank from another model, tweaked the steering head to give it a little more rake and trail, and put a slightly wider front tire. So, if it could have ever been considered "flickable", now it will be less so.

This is a "new model" ???? :blink:

C'mon, HD, for pete's sake......... :wallbash:
Last edited by jstark47 on Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#3 Unread post by Gummiente »

jstark47 wrote:Exactly how is this a "new model" compared to a 2010 XL883L?
It's new in the same way that Triumph announced their "new" Rocket III Roadster. Or BMW with their "new" F800R. Or even Ural with their "new" Solo ST. Take an existing bike, add some new shiny bits and presto - a "new" model.

Any more questions I can help you with? :wink:
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Graunke
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by Graunke »

The XL883L has more suspension travel than the previous low. The center of gravity is lower, the wheels are not as tall. It's a low bike that isn't going to destroy your kidneys.