Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Wet Weather Dampens Hopes of a Podium for HRC

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Wet Weather Dampens Hopes of a Podium for HRC

After weather hampered the MXGP classes opportunity to put in a qualifying race Saturday, both HRC MXGP riders Gajser and Bobryshev had high hopes of a better day of racing aboard their CRF450RWs.

With no rain falling overnight as had been feared, the track had settled slightly meaning that the riders could take to the gate to fight for those all-important championship points.

Tim GajserzoomTim Gajser Tim GajserzoomTim Gajser
Both HRC MXGP riders opted to do a sighting lap in order to assess the ever-changing race lines and state of the track with others opting out so as to save their tires for a better start off of the new metal grid. As it happens this would be key to how the race played out for the HRC duo.

As the gate dropped, Gajser was in the top five and pushing for a top three position. Within a few corners of the track he had worked his way into second place after battling with Desalle and this is where he stayed for the majority of the race. A third of the way through it was soon apparent that the strenuous nature of the track was taking its toll on Gajser. He made a few costly mistakes which exhausted the Slovenian and swiftly cut his opportunity of a podium finish in Indonesia.

Bobryshev, who openly admits he is not a ‘mud rider,’ started well with an early push for a position within the top five. Despite the conditions not being in his favor, he was consistent and rode within his means which secured him a ninth-place finish on the day.

Evgeny BobryshevzoomEvgeny Bobryshev Michele CervellinzoomMichele Cervellin
Just as the riders were preparing for their second race, Youthstream made the decision to cancel the second race. The state of the track had deteriorated in a way that became irreparable, so HRC riders Gajser and Bobryshev were left without an opportunity to improve their overall result.

With a much-needed break, Gajser and Bobryshev will relax and refocus ready for battle in Argentina on the March 19.

Honda Comments
Tim Gajser:
Race Result: 7th Championship position: 3rd"It was a bit of a mess this weekend to be honest. With all the mud and the rain, I am quite happy I have taken solid points from this weekend. The first race felt like it was a case of surviving the race it wasn't ‘racing’. I felt like I was normal for the first 10-15 minutes, I was in second place and almost catching the leader and then I just suddenly destroyed myself and I am not really sure why or how it happened, I just didn't feel my best. I just ride until the end to get points. Overall I am not actually that happy with the weekend and my results overall but sometimes the bad races are not so bad and we have a chance to have a break and get ready for a better race in Argentina."Evgeny Bobryshev:
Race Result: 9th Championship position: 4th"It was a very difficult weekend for me. Indonesia is not what I expected that it would be. I have had difficulties with the food, the heat and everything here and unfortunately on-top of that we had wet weather which has made the track really sticky with deep ruts. I have never ridden anything like this in all my career. It is normal here for it to rain though as it is the wet season."I made the best of the first race, I crashed twice and managed to get it to ninth. I was not riding well in the mud, I struggle with it and I am not one of the fastest. I am really pleased the FIM and Youthstream cancelled the second race because it would be dangerous for us to go out there. I have to say a big thanks to HRC and everyone who worked on everything over the weekend as it was a lot to take on in those conditions. I am happy to go back, have a break and get ready for Argentina."Roger Harvey: HRC General Manager - MXGP"We actually only one race today because during the MX2 race the heavens opened and in this part of the world when they do open, it is a heavy deluge. The track became very very difficult. Tim is still suffering with his throat infection and wasn't feeling his best all weekend. Bobby has been known to struggle in these conditions and today found it difficult with a number of mistakes dropping him down the field. The positive is that we now have two weeks before the next event and hopefully have Tim back to full fitness and we can look forward to better results in Argentina."
Chihiro NotsukazoomChihiro Notsuka

Tough Day for HRC MX2

With the rain holding off overnight in Pangkal Pinang, HRC MX2 riders Michele Cervellin and Chihiro Notuska prepared for what they knew would be a challenging day aboard their CRF250RWs in the deep mud at the Indonesian MXGP.

With a promising qualifying race under his belt yesterday, Cervellin was optimistic heading into today’s race. As the gate dropped for the first race his optimism was short lived as he went down in the third corner which immediately set him to the back of the pack. Digging himself out of the mud Cervellin spent the rest of his race working his way back from last position to 19th as he crossed the line. It was a stunning ride in such challenging conditions. Cervellin’s luck was out as his glory of this achievement was short lived after he was disqualified for cutting the track. He had slid off the side of a jump and had rejoined a little later than was permitted.
As Cervellin got ready to line up for the second MX2 race, it rained torrentially which immediately soddened the already suffering track. It was clear it was going to be a challenge to get round but not to be deterred by this Cervellin rode a strategic race and as red flagged was issued he crossed the line in ninth.

Notsuka had a difficult day in all aspects. In the first race he had a solid start and he seemed to be fairly at home in the mud, battling for points positions. After putting in a strong first half of the race he became wedged within one of the deepest ruts of the track and the soft mud swallowed the bike. By the time Notsuka had been hoisted out of the pit, it was too late to gain any positions and he crossed the line in 30th. As the second race got underway Notsuka was keen to ride consistently to gain some much wanted championship points. The treacherous conditions within the first ten minutes of the race caused Notsuka to retire early.

The series takes a break now for a week and the next MX2 race will be in Argentina on the March 19.

Honda Comments
Michele Cervellin:
Race Result: DSQ/9th Championship position: 8th"This weekend in Indonesia was difficult. The track was really muddy and it was a strange race as it wasn’t really a motocross race, it felt more like an Enduro. In one part of the track it was so bad that you have to stop every lap to get through it. One The first Moto I didn’t have a bad start but I crashed in the first lap on the third corner and had to work my way through the pack from last. Then, I slipped off the side of the jump and re-joined the race just after the jump but they disqualified me for joining on a different part which I was a bit unhappy about.Before the second Moto it rained really heavily and I just told myself to ride steady in order to finish the race and as a result I got third which I am really happy about as it is so tough out there." Chihiro Notsuka:
Race Result: 30th/33th"This weekend was so not good for me. In the first Moto I crashed and in the second Moto there was a technical fault which made the bike come to a complete stop. I was pushing all race and although I like riding in the mud today was very hard, even harder than yesterday. It rained heavily just before we went out and it made it so slippery. Every lap the track was different and I had to take different lines which means I was focusing more on the track then on racing. I just want to say thanks to everyone at HRC though as they worked so hard this weekend in the wet conditions and it is a shame it didn’t go the way I wanted it too."Roger Harvey: HRC General Manager - MXGP"Dire conditions throughout the whole day although the first race the track conditions were more manageable. Results were certainly not what we were looking for. Michele crashing on the 3rd corner, then playing catchup, then finally being disqualified for going off the side of a jump. With Chihiro, he professes to like the muddy conditions and feels like the day has been a lost opportunity for him. We saw early on he can get round in these conditions but it's the length of race and consistency he lacks at this point. Atleast they managed a 2nd race as the track was deteriorating badly. Michele kept slogging throughout the race and achieved 9th place, again could have been better but now we are looking forward to Argentina."

2017 FIM MXGP / MX2 World Motocross Championship
Round 02: Pankal Pinang – Indonesia

MXGP - Race 1 Result

Rank

Rider (Machine)

1 Simpson, Shaun(Yamaha)
2 Coldenhoff, Glenn(KTM)
3 Desalle, Clement(Kawasaki)
4 Cairoli, Antonio(KTM)
5 Goncalves, Rui(Husqvarna)
6 Strijbos, Kevin(Suzuki)
7 Gajser, Tim(Honda)
9 Bobryshev, Evgeny(Honda)
19 Guillod, Valentin(Honda)
24 Lupino, Alessandro(Honda)

MX2 - Race 1 Result

Rank

Rider (Machine)

1 Seewer, Jeremy(Suzuki)
2 Pootjes, Davy(KTM)
3 Lieber, Julien(KTM)
4 Van doninck, Brent(Yamaha)
5 Paturel, Benoit(Yamaha)
6 Olsen, Thomas Kjer(Husqvarna)
30 Notsuka, Chihiro(Honda)
32 Webster, Kyle(Honda)

MX2 - Race 2 Result

Rank

Rider (Machine)

1 Bernardini, Samuele(TM)
2 Seewer, Jeremy(Suzuki)
3 Bogers, Brian(KTM)
4 Lieber, Julien(KTM)
5 Olsen, Thomas Kjer(Husqvarna)
6 Sterry, Adam(Kawasaki)
9 Cervellin, Michele(Honda)
29 Webster, Kyle(Honda)
33 Notsuka, Chihiro(Honda)
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.