Touched down Friday evening

TexasPhotographer
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

Touched down Friday evening

#1 Unread post by TexasPhotographer »

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Minding my own business in the right hand lane of our divided six lane highway I had my right turn signal on as I was preparing to turn into our local shopping center I checked the mirrors and think I did a proper head turn when I started my right hand turn. Then, I see a SUV coming along side me on the right hand side. He was driving on the shoulder.

I immediately turned to the left, but another vehicle had moved into the spot where I was. I had only one thing I could do and that was stop, but since I was turning I did not want to touch the brake. I went down on my engine guard scuffing it a bit.

Damn right I was pissed as the bike was pristine. The guy that was driving on the shoulder called the cops and while we were awaiting them, 4 or 5 additional vehicles drove on the same shoulder.

COPS did nothing as damage to my bike was under $100.00. He said he could cite both of us or none of us. Don't know what he would have cited me for, but the man was nice so I agreed not to push the issue.

However, I have already written to a city councilman about this and he promised me to push the issue with the city manager and the police chief about enforcement of this problem.

Here is his response:

Larry

Glad to hear " no broken bones " this time old friend & I agree 100% its like a race track on the right shoulder by the Cove Terrace at times, yes warnings should be enforced I'll pass it on to Tim & Andrea both.
Pretty good response time from our PD plus glad to hear they are flexiable on not issuing citations ( good pr ), see you Friday.

Chuck

What he meant by see you Friday is I am photographing him for his official city council photograph. And yes, I had an accident where I broke 5 bones in my right leg. Nothing broken this time thank heavens.

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#2 Unread post by MZ33 »

Glad to hear you weren't hurt. But it's frustrating about the "cite both of you or neither of you" . . . I mean, WTF?? You aren't allowed to turn right from the right hand lane?
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

TexasPhotographer
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

#3 Unread post by TexasPhotographer »

Thanks. I found out later that day that it was the officers first or second day on the job. He just finished his tour with another officer and he was out on his own as a real newbie. I guess he was just being nice.

My friend on the council has taken this to the police chief and they will step up enforcement there.
Old is better than the alternative

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#4 Unread post by MZ33 »

Okay, I can cut a newbie slack anyday! :laughing:
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#5 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I hope the other driver gets a ticket. Driving on the shoulder is illegal.

Glad you are ok. :)