JVRR
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2004 Suzuki GS500F

Re: Toyota - now that the damage is done

#21 Unread post by JVRR »

High_Side wrote: Really? That's like saying "ever go fishing with a Mikey Mouse fishing rod and have the line break?". A video game built with the lowest cost in mind really has no risk to it and is built to match. As a prime example there's a reason why modern chemical plants and refineries (where I work for a living) have switched to electronic controls for such critical pieces of equipment as critical steam turbine governor controls and process safety shut-down systems. You build in triple redundancy to the electronics and your systems are far more reliable than the mechanical alternative. You build them to be fail safe. Like a broken throttle cable. And it's far less likely to get stuck like a throttle cable. It's proven. That's why industry is switching to far more reliable and fail safe systems. This isn't some modern electronic voodoo. This is proven and tested technology that is far more reliable than the technology that it replaced.
Quoted For Truth.
-JV
Xbox LIVE!: "Vlad is Rad"
PSN: "Vlad_is_Rad"
SCII: "Volodya" (code: 314)

Kingshead
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 100
My Motorcycle: 1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C2 A.C.E.

#22 Unread post by Kingshead »

As you yourself said, triple redundancies, these are not and will not be engineered into a car built to a price point. Thank you for proving my point, saves me the time of doing it myself. Oh, in case you are wondering about me credentials: Licensed Master Electrician for 24yrs, Electronics Engineering degree, college professor currently teaching Industrial Technology

Martin
Welcome to the Horde!!!

1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C2 A.C.E.

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#23 Unread post by High_Side »

Kingshead wrote:As you yourself said, triple redundancies, these are not and will not be engineered into a car built to a price point. Thank you for proving my point, saves me the time of doing it myself. Oh, in case you are wondering about me credentials: Licensed Master Electrician for 24yrs, Electronics Engineering degree, college professor currently teaching Industrial Technology

Martin
Gazinga! Look at those credentials! Maybe you can use those credentials to enlighten me with answers to the following questions:
1.) Are you saying that car companies cannot make a fail-safe electronic fly by wire system?
2.) Are you saying that they wouldn't make a fail safe system if their very business depended on it?(it would)
3.) And in a very related question: Electronic cruise control - death box or acceptably safe electronic device that you use in your car daily?

I really think that if this was 1895 this discussion would be about the dangers of the horseless carriage vs. conventional "safe" wisdom. Lucky for us we got past that. If this was 1945 our discussion might be on the dangers of motorcycle rear suspension.... (I dig your ride....and am just jerkin' yer chain) :P

Kingshead
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#24 Unread post by Kingshead »

High_Side wrote:
Kingshead wrote:As you yourself said, triple redundancies, these are not and will not be engineered into a car built to a price point. Thank you for proving my point, saves me the time of doing it myself. Oh, in case you are wondering about me credentials: Licensed Master Electrician for 24yrs, Electronics Engineering degree, college professor currently teaching Industrial Technology

Martin
Gazinga! Look at those credentials! Maybe you can use those credentials to enlighten me with answers to the following questions:
1.) Are you saying that car companies cannot make a fail-safe electronic fly by wire system?
2.) Are you saying that they wouldn't make a fail safe system if their very business depended on it?(it would)
3.) And in a very related question: Electronic cruise control - death box or acceptably safe electronic device that you use in your car daily?

I really think that if this was 1895 this discussion would be about the dangers of the horseless carriage vs. conventional "safe" wisdom. Lucky for us we got past that. If this was 1945 our discussion might be on the dangers of motorcycle rear suspension.... (I dig your ride....and am just jerkin' yer chain) :P
Not here to argue, and I think my point was made. I'll decline beating a dead horse thank you.

I believe I'm being trolled by a moderator, will wonders never cease.

Martin
Welcome to the Horde!!!

High_Side

#25 Unread post by High_Side »

Kingshead wrote:
High_Side wrote: (I dig your ride....and am just jerkin' yer chain) :P I made it bigger this time to help point out the obvious
Not here to argue, and I think my point was made. I'll decline beating a dead horse thank you.

Martin
I started this thread to have a discussion about this subject with the full expectation that there would be differing views and I was looking forward to the debate. It's obvious where I stood on the subject from the start of the thread and you made it pretty obvious where you stood from the time that you entered (albeit on a bit of a tangent subject). If I can't respond to your trump card of "here are my credentials, thus I am right" without being called a troll, then perhaps you should read your own comments from the "Hello All" thread that you posted the other day:
Kingshead wrote:

I know what you mean, a little fun ribbing is great. I can't stand the wannabe's that don't get it's all in fun and run crying "my feelings are hurt, wwaaaaaa". :rant:

Martin

Pot - meet kettle.

Kingshead
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#26 Unread post by Kingshead »

High_Side wrote:
Kingshead wrote:
High_Side wrote: (I dig your ride....and am just jerkin' yer chain) :P I made it bigger this time to help point out the obvious

Martin
I started this thread to have a discussion about this subject with the full expectation that there would be differing views and I was looking forward to the debate. It's obvious where I stood on the subject from the start of the thread and you made it pretty obvious where you stood from the time that you entered (albeit on a bit of a tangent subject). If I can't respond to your trump card of "here are my credentials, thus I am right" without being called a troll, then perhaps you should read your own comments from the "Hello All" thread that you posted the other day:
Kingshead wrote:

I know what you mean, a little fun ribbing is great. I can't stand the wannabe's that don't get it's all in fun and run crying "my feelings are hurt, wwaaaaaa". :rant:

Martin

Pot - meet kettle.
To rehash the same point over and over add infinitum is not a debate, it's as I said "beating a dead horse" and pointless.

The comment on trolling was an attempt at humor which apparently you have no sense of.

Pa meet Ma

This is another attempt which your youth may preclude understanding, try the internet, if still without a clear definition I will unveil the mystery upon request.

Martin

P.S. We the aged lose our ability to read tiny print, so yes, I did miss the comment below your statement. Still unable to read so please speak up as I can't hear you.

P.S.S. What point is there in locking a thread if the staff here will copy and paste it on another thread? Doesn't this make the locking seem infantile and one sided? If not, then unlock the thread and allow the members of the site to express their views.
Welcome to the Horde!!!

High_Side

#27 Unread post by High_Side »

I take a lot of personal pride in what we've made this forum in to over the past eight years and will not engage in this lost cause any longer. If anyone else wants to get back to the original topic, please do. :righton:

High_Side

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#28 Unread post by dr_bar »

High_Side wrote:I take a lot of personal pride in what we've made this forum in to over the past eight years and will not engage in this lost cause any longer. If anyone else wants to get back to the original topic, please do. :righton:

High_Side

Pssst... Isn't it 10 years. LOL
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

High_Side

#29 Unread post by High_Side »

dr_bar wrote:
High_Side wrote:I take a lot of personal pride in what we've made this forum in to over the past eight years and will not engage in this lost cause any longer. If anyone else wants to get back to the original topic, please do. :righton:

High_Side

Pssst... Isn't it 10 years. LOL
Apparently "my youth" won't let me go back that far. :mrgreen: Damn, time disappears.

JVRR
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2004 Suzuki GS500F

#30 Unread post by JVRR »

I've never had anything computer-wise go wrong with my car. It needs (what I would call) major mechanical work at least every couple years. That right there says something.
-JV
Xbox LIVE!: "Vlad is Rad"
PSN: "Vlad_is_Rad"
SCII: "Volodya" (code: 314)