Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

Toyota - now that the damage is done

#1 Unread post by High_Side »

http://autos.ca.msn.com/news/canadian-p ... d=27582343

Maybe there was a shred of truth to the entire thing - but an intensive investigation by the US government found nothing. As for the con-artists that claimed that there cars accelerated to more than 100 MPH and they couldn't brake, shut the car off or put it in neutral, they should be ordered to pay for damages that their little scam has led to.

Any thoughts?????

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Re: Toyota - now that the damage is done

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

I honestly think it's possible because Caddy had the same issue with their fly by wire throttle on the early gen CTSs. Now as for the idiots that couldn't figure out how to hit the parking brake (will easily stop that tiny 1.5L from accelerating), shift into neutral (easily achieved on any automatic), or turn the car off using a hard shutdown procedure (hold the button for three seconds)... That's just asinine and they ought to be 1. flogged and whipped, 2. publicly banned from ever owning a vehicle again, or 3. all of the above.

As for the family that died because the dad couldn't keep his "accelerating prius" on the road at 110 on an Interstate, well I don't say he deserved it, but he sure didn't need to be driving either.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#3 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I've heard on the news millions of recalls here for Toyota cars and trucks. I doubt the company would recall that much if there wasn't an issue. ($$$$)

I think Toyota's reputation of reliable cars will be quite damaged for the short term... I don't see Toyota in the same light myself anymore. They are just another car company, nothing special like their reputation once claimed.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#4 Unread post by BuzZz »

I think, and always thought, this was a farce. Engines throttling up and running away with no reaction to braking, transmission gear changes, turning the ignition off?..... Not possible.

Some idiot stomping the wrong pedal and panicking.... entirely possible. A bunch more greedy morons wanting to sue some large company and jumping on any bandwagon that would allow that..... the line starts in New York and ends in L.A......
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR

#5 Unread post by pchast »

I have no issue with all of the above comments.
I agree with most.

However, I will never own a vehicle that does not
have a key or other positive disconnect.
2019 Zero DSR, 1980 Suzuki GS550L

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

BuzZz wrote:I think, and always thought, this was a farce. Engines throttling up and running away with no reaction to braking, transmission gear changes, turning the ignition off?..... Not possible.

Some idiot stomping the wrong pedal and panicking.... entirely possible. A bunch more greedy morons wanting to sue some large company and jumping on any bandwagon that would allow that..... the line starts in New York and ends in L.A......
Agreed.

While I could see a "struck throttle cable" on a bike accelerating the engine, the engine kill switch would take care of that... but on a car... infact, why don't cars have an engine kill switch?

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

pchast wrote:I have no issue with all of the above comments.
I agree with most.

However, I will never own a vehicle that does not
have a key or other positive disconnect.
Do you mean a metal key vs a key "fob" or "start button"?

Mike

pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR

#8 Unread post by pchast »

Exactly.

Or a pull out electric disconnect. Something positive not relying on a computer to interpret an action.
2019 Zero DSR, 1980 Suzuki GS550L

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#9 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

I would subject the plantiffs to at least a 3-month jail term, and make them watch the Seinfeld episode where Kramer brings his lawyers down to sue after he burns himself by dumping his coffee (based or a real story of someone who sued McD's in the USA). There are a few other classic episodes where Kramer gets into these things... I the Chicken place with the neon lights, and the "balm" epsiode -- "you never know what's in a balm".
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#10 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Same thing happened to Audi in the 80's, with the same result; no conclusive proof of fault on the part of the manufacturer, but a hell of a lot of rep damage. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unintended ... #Audi_5000
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."