Re: Japan Nuclear powerplant explosion and radiation crisis

#11 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

This is quite interesting:

Responding to a Nuclear Emergency
Nuclearand Industrial Safety Agency

http://www.nisa.meti.go.jp/english/file ... 0316-1.pdf
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male

#12 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

The country has is really being hit hard with this triple catastrophe. One news story had mentioned that they expected the radiation levels to drop significantly prior to reaching the large population in Tokyo, but they may also be attempting to keep people from going into a larger panic so that the can control the evacuation from the area more fluidly.

My best wishes go out to everyone in Japan who is living and working through these events.
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#13 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

QuietMonkey wrote:My best wishes go out to everyone in Japan who is living and working through these events.
I could not agree more.

QuietMonkey wrote:The country has is really being hit hard with this triple catastrophe. One news story had mentioned that they expected the radiation levels to drop significantly prior to reaching the large population in Tokyo, but they may also be attempting to keep people from going into a larger panic so that the can control the evacuation from the area more fluidly..
I really hope so, I couldn't imagine Tokyo being unsafe to live in or travel to.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#14 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

I had a little cash earmarked for someone supporting another good cause but it's no comparison to the crisis in Japan. When I read this news I feel bad just thinking of buying a new mx bike... whew... the bad news just keeps escalating for the worse in asia.

Here are five ways you can help the people of Japan from your own home:

1. Donate to IMC - International Medical Corps is mobilizing relief teams and supplies, as well as contacting partners in the area in order to deploy their most effective strategy. They are a group of medical professionals who provide vital health services with a focus on training in order to return devastated populations to self-sufficiency. You can donate online at http://www.internationalmedicalcorps.org.

2. Donate to Save the Children - Save the Children stands ready to meet the needs of children and families affected by these events. An international emergency team has been dispatched to assist staff in Japan. You can donate to their efforts online at http://www.savethechildren.org.

3. Donate money, supplies or air miles to Operation USA - Los Angeles-based international relief agency OpUSA is preparing for their efforts in Japan, and are asking for monetary donations from individuals. They are also requesting air miles through United Airlines Charity Miles program. If your employer would like to get involved, corporate donations of bulk quantities of disaster-appropriate supplies are also needed. Find out the ways you can donate at http://www.opusa.org.

4. Text a donation to the Red Cross - The Red Cross has launched their relief efforts in Japan. You can donate online, or text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10 from your phone.

5. Donate to Doctors Without Borders - Doctors Without Borders has two three-person teams in Japan attempting to get to the hardest hit areas by helicopter. Another 25 staff will respond once the situation has been assessed. You can find out how to donate by visiting their website at http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org.

Of course, you can always help by keeping up with what's going on and making sure your friends and loved ones in the area have up-to-date information. Google has a resource site that may provide answers to those in need.
http://www.google.com/crisisresponse/ja ... e2011.html

info and links from:
http://www.care2.com/causes/environment ... elp-japan/
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#15 Unread post by JC Viper »

This was a response to the over sensational reporting from MSNBC that disregarded the facts:

Even the worst nuclear accident in history didn't kill thousands instantly, nor millions later.

In fact, adverse affects from Chernobyl were actually quite benign, considering the signifigance of the accident. More people get killed yearly from lung problems related to burning coal, but that is a silent killer, not as sensational.

The biggest single problem with nuclear power right now is the old designs, that can have malfunctions on a day where everything goes wrong. Unfortunately, it is absent minded activists who have stood in the way of progress and blocked advancement of nuclear power. Newer designs are signifigantly safer and have almost no chance to melt down. If we continued to build them, and take old reactors off-line, then we wouldn't be stuck trying to extend legacy hardware past it's decommision date.

This powerplant was scheduled to be taken off line a while ago but then pushed it back and was supposed to go off in a couple of weeks. This was an old design which explains all the current problems BUT it was the tsunami that did it in since the diesel generators became inoperable once the sea water got in.

Still a concern for Japan but the atmosphere will disperse the material should it ever be released. The cloud of smog from China is more harmful than the radiation cloud from Japan.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#16 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Thanks QM for posting all the donation links! Very humanitarian of you. :)
Andrea :sun:

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#17 Unread post by JC Viper »

One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#18 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

sunshine229 wrote:Thanks QM for posting all the donation links! Very humanitarian of you. :)
no worries

I noticed HondaGirl (with the XR400 Motard) is in Japan --- has anyone heard from her about her family?

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: dream bike (really, it's in my dreams)

#19 Unread post by fireguzzi »

QuietMonkey wrote:
sunshine229 wrote:Thanks QM for posting all the donation links! Very humanitarian of you. :)
no worries

I noticed HondaGirl (with the XR400 Motard) is in Japan --- has anyone heard from her about her family?
She is ok. No power water or gas though.
[img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/fireguzzi/papabarsig.jpg[/img]

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#20 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

thanks Guzzi...

-- that's pretty rough! -- ESPECIALLY the lack of water... hopefully everything is coming together for temporary supplies and those essentials. The way the weather is hopefully they are able to make progress in locating people still missing, etc.

This reminds me of a video documenting an architect in New Mexico (I think), Mike Reynolds, known as the Garbage Warrior - using recycled materials to build homes. He has been building (and fighting an uphill battle) with his self-sustainable homes for 30+ years. They even yanked his license for several years. The homes are entirely off the grid, offering self-sustaining temperature control, sewage, and a rain-water catching, storage and filtration system... he proved the sound principals of his designs (which the legal types had screwed him over on for various bureaucratic reasons) by using it in disaster stricken areas like what Japan is facing.
Last edited by QuietMonkey on Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.